Old 11-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #1   [permalink]
Proud Asian

Japanese don't like western cosplayers

The recent issue is cosmode that have stopped featuring western cosplayers starting from December 2010 due to complains from many Otaku in Japan. To anyone who don't know about cosmode, cosmode is one of the Cosplay oriented magazine in Japan and the only one who frequently featured western cosplayers on 1 - 2 of its pages on its every new release. What cosmode doing is understandable because it is a profit oriented business magazine, so rather than losing more sales it decided to do what its readers want especially when it have to compete with other Cosplay oriented magazine in Japan.

It is also understandable of what the Otaku in Japan feeled because what they feel also the same with what most other Otaku in the world feeled who don't like to see western cosplayers cosplaying Anime or other Asian based characters. This fact proven by how almost all of the Cosplay videos, Cosplay blogs, Cosplay websites and other Cosplay related media on the net are only featuring Asian cosplayers, including the one made by westerners [ not by western cosplayers ] are also almost all of it featuring Asian cosplayers. What the Japanese doing are basically saying westerners never and will never able to look like Japanese so there is no racism in what the Japanese doing because there is no racism in speaking the truth, it is the truth that westerners never and will never able to look like Japanese. There is also no pride stuff in here because cosmode still featuring Chinese, Korean and other Asian cosplayers.

The Otaku in Japan are the biggest and most fanatics Anime fans in the world, proven by how Maid Cafe, Harajuku, Akihabara and other Anime related place and stuff like that can exist and grow well in Japan. The existence of the term "Moeru" and "Naeru" also proves it because those 2 term are a made term by the Otaku in Japan, where "Moeru" used to refer to a cute person who look like certain Anime characters while "Naeru" used to refer to a cosplayers who not look like the Anime characters they cosplaying which 99% used against western cosplayers by the Otaku in Japan.
Proud Asian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Don't worry. You can keep your cosplay. We'll just take your women.

I always considered cosplay to be a bit weird anyway. It's probably the result of severe emotional trauma suffered in childhood.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #3   [permalink]
Steathassasn
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Steathassasn
yeah..its not racism...its nationalism...write it how ever you want ..its still not right but...based on the moto of " give the people what they want" i can understand the " why " of the situation.

its still not right.

thats my 2 cents...where's my raise ?
Old 20-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #4   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Interesting .... I guess it is something like the feeling I get watching a badly dubbed show ... the voices almost never seem to match with the actor(s).

Yet, I wonder how influential anime would be without the acceptance of "global" participation in such activities? Not to mention the fianancial situation of anime related activities were to remain as cultural niche markets?

Using the example of Apple ... one could argue that remaining "proprietary" in general concept, hindered growth to the point that IBM ala the PC with open architecture eventually eclipsed (and monopolized) the personal computer market.

IMO, in this day and age, it is more profitable (on the larger scale) to promote global channels ...
Old 24-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #5   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
That's rather ironic, considering that the majority of anime characters with their enormous eyes and tiny mouths don't look Japanese either. So technically, the Japanese otaku fail at cosplaying those characters too, because they will never be able to look exactly like them either.

I guess the lesson here is that no one should cosplay?

Last edited by dheu; 24-04-2011 at 01:28 AM.
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #6   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Originally Posted by dheu View Post
That's rather ironic, considering that the majority of anime characters with their enormous eyes and tiny mouths don't look Japanese either. So technically, the Japanese otaku fail at cosplaying those characters too, because they will never be able to look exactly like them either.

I guess the lesson here is that no one should cosplay?
Pretty much
-Bishop Oro

Last edited by Black_Knight; 26-04-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: It's always line 142
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 03:30 AM   #7   [permalink]
Kawaii Miko
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Location: Aden, Aria Server, Lineage II, Laptop, Boudoir, Shidonii, Oosutaraiya
Send a message via ICQ to Kawaii Miko Send a message via AIM to Kawaii Miko Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Miko
It won't stop the western cosplayers just because they enjoy it like the Japanese or other Asian countries. Most cosplayers - Asian and western - I've come across over the years do it mainly for the fun of it or understanding the character more. Considering that if it weren't for the worldwide realeases for well known titles, it's amazing how the animation branch of Japan continues to survive.

PS. I know its an old, old thread...

Last edited by Kawaii Miko; 20-05-2011 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Additional info
Kawaii Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #8   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Originally Posted by Kawaii Miko View Post
It won't stop the western cosplayers just because they enjoy it like the Japanese or other Asian countries. Most cosplayers - Asian and western - I've come across over the years do it mainly for the fun of it or understanding the character more. Considering that if it weren't for the worldwide realeases for well known titles, it's amazing how the animation branch of Japan continues to survive.

PS. I know its an old, old thread...
---- good to see you!!! I diddnt think any of the old MODS were left!

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #9   [permalink]
Kawaii Miko
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Location: Aden, Aria Server, Lineage II, Laptop, Boudoir, Shidonii, Oosutaraiya
Send a message via ICQ to Kawaii Miko Send a message via AIM to Kawaii Miko Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Miko
Talking

Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
---- good to see you!!! I diddnt think any of the old MODS were left!
Only been on if there's a necessity but real life always kicks in. Anyhoo, back on topic....

So far, I haven't heard from the cosplayers here regarding about the whole Cosmode fiasco - despite most of them use it as their inspiration for their cosplays. At this very moment, they're all preparing their anticipated cosplays to wow the incoming crowds for the upcoming conventions in Sydney (I'll be awaiting pics of them soon). Me thinks they may have heard about it or not but they continue to strive head on.

PS. This is heading over to the cosplay forum.
Old 27-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #10   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Cosmode fiasco? What craziness is going on in the cosplay world?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #11   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by dheu View Post
Cosmode fiasco? What craziness is going on in the cosplay world?
As the husband of a cosplayer, there is all sorts of craziness in the world. Cosplayers be crazy.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote