Old 08-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #106   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Currently reading just Gantz, Beck, and Pluto (dammit where's the new chapter!) but I'm looking to get into Shojo series that don't make me want to punch myself in the eye. Any recommendations people?
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #107   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Reading Sand Chronicles, Nana, Ranma 1/2, Orion, and Sayonara Zetsobu Sensai. I picked up all of these as research for project I'm working on for school. Haven't gotten a chance to read neither Sayonara or Nana yet but I did finish both of the volumes of Ranma and Sand Chronicles I got.

Ranma is more or less what I expected but Takahashi has such a wonderfully clear storytelling style that I've enjoyed that. It's really easy to follow especially in the action sequences. While I don't think it's an expertly told comic or that it has anything really important to say, I think that Takahashi's always been about entertaining comics which this is.

Sand Chronicles has really surprised me. It's not what I was expecting at all. This is series could be like every other Shoujo comic out there but there's this overwhelming sense of doom that the relationship we see happening now more than likely won't last at the end of the series. There's a sense of foreboding that things won't work out for our main heroine as much as we want them to or that reality is going to intrude on her life in a way that she's not expecting it.

Re-read Orion which I still think is the best thing that Masemune Shirow has ever done. It's funny, his art is extremely expressive compared to his other work. While some of the jargon of the world he's making goes over my head, I think it's supposed to do that to add to the parody (the fact that there are footnotes underscores some of the absurdity of the story). I also like how none of the characters are really redeemable and that all the hope in the universe relies on the God of Destruction to save us. The ending is kind of weak and doesn't really push the parody as far as I would like it to go but it's an enjoyable and quick read.

Last edited by Project Akira; 17-07-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #108   [permalink]
Harul

Naruto, and Bleach... I feel forced to read them since I already started them.
Old 18-01-2010, 01:27 AM   #109   [permalink]
ryuzaki0129

Send a message via Yahoo to ryuzaki0129
I'm reading Bleach right now! it is a good story and i like it because it is long manga. i love to read it because it excites me every time i read it just like this chapter i'm reading right now - http://www.manga123.com/read/Bleach/388/1/ - it keeps me excites because ichigo is now facing the ultimate opponent - AIZEN. i'm waiting for this chapter. it's cool!
ryuzaki0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 AM   #110   [permalink]
wilborine

Right now i am busy reading Code Breaker : New waves. Though the release is quite slow but the story has kept me occupied.