Old 28-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #1   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Osamu Tezuka

Not sure how many Osamu Tezuka fans are out there but I thought that I would start a thread for discussion of Tezuka's manga work. For those who are unfamiliar, Tezuka is more or less the man who pretty created modern manga. He's not called the God of Manga in Japan for nothing. Wikipedia details his rather fascinating life.

Anyways over the last couple of years, Vertical Publishing has been releasing more and more series of his along with complete collections of some of his longer works. I've been eagerly following Blackjack as it's been coming out and enjoying the hell out of it. It's exciting, fun, and generally off the wall. I've also been reading Dororo but that one has been harder to digest for me. Neither of the protagonists is very likable but the art in it is gorgeous. That's something that's always struck me about Tezuka's work is how much he was always pushing himself artistically to be different. That really excites me as a reader and as someone who makes comics.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 05:50 AM   #2   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

I've bought a few of the newer releases but still have yet to really sit down and digest them. I want to read Human Metamorphosis but I don't think that ever got an English-language release. It looked interesting from what I saw of it in a museum exhibition a couple of years ago. I know I've got MW in a box somewhere inthis room...

A bit worried about how much Black Jack will eventually come out so I haven't bought any of that title yet.

For some reason the hardback version of Buddha seems to have gone out of print but I want it to complete my set. So hard to get at a reasonable price now...
Old 30-06-2009, 11:18 PM   #3   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Yeah Black Jack is supposedly going to be around 17 volumes. It's going to be an investment but it's been well worth it so far.

Also I would love to own those Buddha books in hardcover myself. I think they let it lapse out of print because they're printing them in softcover now and that's cheaper to produce.

Do you know if Phoenix has been entirely translated?
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #4   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

I think all of Hi No Tori has been translated into English, although I'm not sure of the availablilty.

For a long while I think only the "first" two volumes were available, and possibly are now out of print or by a different publisher than the others. Haven't checked for a while, I must say.