Old 04-04-2001, 11:09 PM   #1   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

damn, i just saw episode three of Vision of Escaflowne, and it's already booted up on my "to get" list all the way up with BeBop Session#26, Rurouni Kenshin, and Gasaraki.

in fact, Session#26 is the only thing ABOVE Vision of Escaflowne now... i completely love the Aura of the series, the noses are a bit out of place {but i'm starting to get used to them}, the Guymelefs have a great touch of originality {especially with the innerworkings}, the characters are great {though i would prefer Merle not to be so whiney}, i've always been interested in Terot folk lore as well as the idea of Visionary Prediction and Fate... the only thing i can think of that i don't like about the series so far is that i wish the Animation were a bit more crisp. but being an avid fan of much of the older Anime, it's not going to get in my way.

now that i've got that out of my system.

i don't mean to ask questions that i'm sure you've all already read, but i want to make sure there are no spoilers here... so i'm not going to risk anything to read those threads already made... and here i demand...

PLEASE, NO SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD. and i am STRICT when i say "no spoilers."

so... shall we continue? thank you.

so who here likes Van?

at first i wasn't very fond of him. the first two episodes he seemed too much like your average hero who carries too many merits.... until eps3... when Alan comes along... then, Van is open to express his Flaws. and graciously, he can not only hold his respect for himself but his respect for his own strength as well... as he doen't cower from Alan, but he stands down knowing he isn't {yet} able to overpower him. {of course with a few challanges every here and then} but i definitely became a fan of Van when Alan demands he to not draw his Sword.... and... he does. and Alan, i must say, is a pansey. a Bishonen in his worst. first of all, this guy has no flaws that i've seen yet but his PRIDE.. and that is a flaw that i've grown to dislike the most. he carries all the wrong qualities.. and why? most likely because i relate to Van more.... and replacing Van with myself, i am inspired to urge him on in battle and to cheer him on to get the girl. of course.. if i were him, i'd probably stick with Merle. so what's with Alan? i'm sure there are many girls who think he's so attractive, or so many guys who look up to him because he's so great, but i personally can't stand him already. not because he's "better than me" {and i'm quite sure he is}... but because of his cop-ass "i'm better than you" attitude and his seemingly desire to express no emotion above himself. all Alan shows me, is that if this is the "perfect" guy, i'm definitely proud to be not one of them. i personally admire flaws in people because it gives them character and spirit. but Alan... ::shutter::

anyone else's thoughts on the matter? and please.. don't say: "just wait until you see the rest of the series" because i'm already looking forward to.
Old 04-04-2001, 11:25 PM   #2   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Congrats on cracking Escaflowne, Havok! You'll like it....

Allen is aristocracy, don't forget. As you'll see later (dammit, I said it!), he has flaws and weaknesses. I don't think he is exessively prideful (?)...but I think he uses it to cover up the aforementioned weaknesses.

The taro get much more important as the show progresses, I hope you'll be happy to find out. Lots of stuff about [spoilers]. Dammit! I wanna talk about to good parts!

Tell you one thing. I wanted more screen time with Balgus on it. That guy filled a role that doesn't get filled for another few eps...

How do you like the mech designs so far?
Old 05-04-2001, 06:56 AM   #3   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

well, i don't want to get into it too much, because there's not much i can say until i've viewed more of the series... though i hope to be able to start watching an episode a day.

Mech deisgns though... damn, they are great.

i'd have to say, that what i like most about them so far is their innerworkings and their more medieval design... i recall someone in my Gundam thread suggesting that i'm an old bitter Robotech fan who has grown to hate mechs just for that reason. actually, i'd say i am a bitter unique who is sick of seeing he same ---- over and over and over and is observant to the point where unoriginality gets old fast.

but i must say.. these mechs are great. i am just looking forward to the development of the story.
heart havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 02:35 PM   #4   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Nairohe Send a message via Yahoo to Nairohe
tsk tsk tsk... He's so much like you... and since i'm at work... i'll go add to this rant later...
Old 05-04-2001, 02:47 PM   #5   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

so much like me? haha yeah right.

maybe i come off that way, but that's all just a joke..
Old 05-04-2001, 06:15 PM   #6   [permalink]
Morbius
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Morbius Send a message via Yahoo to Morbius
How can you say Allen is a pansy? He's such a player with the ladies...

Hmmm... Wait a second... Maybe that's why he gets all the chicks... Because he's a pansy...
Old 05-04-2001, 09:42 PM   #7   [permalink]
elvenfire

Okay, as usual I'm going to play the prettyboy's advocate. Yes, Allen takes himself MUCH too seriously, and he does have an excess of pride. However, he has his good side. He is an honorable figure in a country full of corruption (Asturia). He defeats Van twice and lets him live, even though he could have killed him under the rules of chivalry. He is willing to sacrifice his life to protect Hitomi, a girl he has hardly met. He is able to understand that Selena is not at fault for Dilandau's crimes (something Van never really figures out). And contrary to popular belief, he is NOT a player. He in fact goes out of his way to discourage Millerna and Hitomi's affections (until the end of the series, anyway).

Not to mention, Allen has the amazing, gravity-defying, five-foot long hair!
elvenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 11:16 AM   #8   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

well i meant 'pansey' as in a guy i don't like... i suppose that's only slang where i live.

eitherway, he's also a pansey because he's the most fruitalitious "bishounen" that i have ever seen. sure, i've seen some really pretty prettyboys, but he's a fruit-picking-fairy

honestly though... i just don't like how he's managed to crawl up his own ass.
Old 06-04-2001, 02:57 PM   #9   [permalink]
stdio.h
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to stdio.h
I just saw the first 4 episodes last night via DVD...but it was late at night and I was too tired/lazy to read the subtitled so I watched the dub. If anyone is considering purchasing or just watching the dubbed, please don't. You'll regret it. The evil enemy blah blah has the voice of an 11 year old or so.

Anyway getting back to Havok's conversation, Alan (sp?) is annoying and is worth making fun of, but I don't hate him as much as most of you do. He is easy enough to cope with (from the episodes I've seen). That cat, on the otherhand (woops, sorry Havok) is ANNOYING! Every time she's standing near a cliff or danger I hope someone will push her...it never happens though. Oh well, maybe she'll be less annoying in the subbed.
Old 06-04-2001, 03:19 PM   #10   [permalink]
elvenfire

If Allen is a fruit, then what is Dilandau? Don't get me wrong, I loe Dilly-sama, but "he" is about as gender-ambiguous as they come.
elvenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 04:55 PM   #11   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

You'll realize that Allan has more faults as much as his assets. His 'perfect' image is a fasad to hide hidden emotions and faults. You'll find this out when you get further into the series... Why he seems to protect Hitomis is because of Dilandau/some girl (cough cough*), secret lovers... sniffle* you can't help but love him even more when you see how he has managed to cope with these faults ever so... gallantly... takes a tissue and wipes off a tear*

I agree, that cat-girl kind of annoyed me... I was determined to stranggle her while watching the early parts of the series... but she, like allen has her moments. When you do get to know Merle, you kinda appreciate her being there. But what annoys me is that she's a wall preventing Van and Hitomi to get really close... hiss* But well, she's always there for VAn... i think they make a good couple too but Van treats her like a little sister... ehehehe... Still... she's irritating... cute but irritating... kill kill... just like chibiusa's American counterpart... stranggle the little brat!!! cough cough* I found the Fox version of Merle a little bit more... um... better though... maybe its the voice, but i really like that Merle than the one in Japanese... especially the Merle in the movie... ^^ now she's even better...

back to ranting about Allen... its hard not to spill anything about Allen, see... agh... you have to get to the end to really appreciate him... sniffle* He's so perfect!!! but well, i guess that's part of why some people hate him... because despite his gallant nature, plus his fall... he still makes it bearable... did any of what i said make any sense?
Old 06-04-2001, 08:24 PM   #12   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by stdio.h
I just saw the first 4 episodes last night via DVD...but it was late at night and I was too tired/lazy to read the subtitled so I watched the dub. If anyone is considering purchasing or just watching the dubbed, please don't. You'll regret it. The evil enemy blah blah has the voice of an 11 year old or so.

Anyway getting back to Havok's conversation, Alan (sp?) is annoying and is worth making fun of, but I don't hate him as much as most of you do. He is easy enough to cope with (from the episodes I've seen). That cat, on the otherhand (woops, sorry Havok) is ANNOYING! Every time she's standing near a cliff or danger I hope someone will push her...it never happens though. Oh well, maybe she'll be less annoying in the subbed.

i'm sure Merle is more annoying in the Dubb.. most characters are more annoying in Dubbs. don't apologize though... i wish she wasn't annoying as well. i admit, she's very annoying. though i like her much better than Hitome... i don't know what it is, but i don't see anything special with Hitome {yet}.... she's just your average heroine to me. i liked her attitude in episode 3 when Van was pouting and she started trying to read his Tarot for him. that was adorable. so she has potential to be great. she just isn't yet.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally posted by elvenfire
If Allen is a fruit, then what is Dilandau? Don't get me wrong, I loe Dilly-sama, but "he" is about as gender-ambiguous as they come

i wasn't calling him a "fruit" because of his sexuality.. sorry, i have different slang than most people. i simply mean a "fruit" just as i did "pansey"... someone who i don't like. that's it.

i don't recognize the name "Dilandau" but if that's the white haired guy, he's not a fruit at all. i like characters like that. i don't like stuck up pricks like Alan.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nairohe
You'll realize that Allan has more faults as much as his assets. His 'perfect' image is a fasad to hide hidden emotions and faults. You'll find this out when you get further into the series... Why he seems to protect Hitomis is because of Dilandau/some girl (cough cough*), secret lovers... sniffle* you can't help but love him even more when you see how he has managed to cope with these faults ever so... gallantly... takes a tissue and wipes off a tear*

exactly. and i can't respect people who can't show their own true emotions. hinse why i don't like Alan.

Quote:
I agree, that cat-girl kind of annoyed me... I was determined to stranggle her while watching the early parts of the series... but she, like allen has her moments. When you do get to know Merle, you kinda appreciate her being there. But what annoys me is that she's a wall preventing Van and Hitomi to get really close... hiss* But well, she's always there for VAn... i think they make a good couple too but Van treats her like a little sister... ehehehe... Still... she's irritating... cute but irritating... kill kill... just like chibiusa's American counterpart... stranggle the little brat!!! cough cough* I found the Fox version of Merle a little bit more... um... better though... maybe its the voice, but i really like that Merle than the one in Japanese... especially the Merle in the movie... ^^ now she's even better...

shhhhhhhhh.. ::glare:: i don't know about a fox person. remember, i'm STRICT when i say NO SPIOILERS ::glare::

hinse why i'm not reading any other threads and i'm asking for you to be strict on no spoilers in this one.

Quote:
back to ranting about Allen... its hard not to spill anything about Allen, see... agh... you have to get to the end to really appreciate him... sniffle* He's so perfect!!! but well, i guess that's part of why some people hate him... because despite his gallant nature, plus his fall... he still makes it bearable... did any of what i said make any sense?

yes, i know i have to get to the end. -_- and the only reason i don't like him is because he's full of himself.
Old 06-04-2001, 11:01 PM   #13   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Cough cough* I didn't give any spoilers... 'fox version of merle' means the FOX channel verison of Merle. They featured Escaflowne on Fox Kids... but they cut a lot of scenes and twisted the story... eitherway, when you watch it, it wont even get so far as to spoil anything... glares at havok*
Old 07-04-2001, 01:01 AM   #14   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

hey, i'm not a television worshipper, when i see the word Fox, i think of the animal. not a television channel.

eitherway, i still say Spoilers are the slightest thing i don't already know.
Old 07-04-2001, 11:54 AM   #15   [permalink]
Sheex, The Dark Stalker
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Sheex, The Dark Stalker
I don't think Allen is that bad. Sure, later in the series some questionable things about his past come up, but in the early eps, he's quite cool. :E

As for Merle, she is really annoying at first, but she gets better over the course of the series. She even saves Van twice in a single episode later on.

As for the dub, I've seen the first 14 eps of it, I didn't think it was too bad. Dilandau is one of the worst voices in dub history, and Merle sounds way too old, but all the other voices fitted the characters pretty well. Now if they could just fix the dialogue problems, like that thing Folken says in episode 5....

http://nitpick.myeva.net
The Nitpicker's Guide to Evangelion
Sheex, The Dark Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote