Old 18-12-2002, 12:15 PM   #1   [permalink]
DistMan
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to DistMan
A new Escaflowne fan has arrived

Hey there. Hmm I'm new in this section of the board.

Anyway, I finished the series yesterday and I LOVED it! Damn good series with a very good soundtrack.

I friend told me to watch the movie about 1 year ago, and so I did. I didn't like it very much, it felt like it was rushed, and blurry. Soo, now you know my oppinion about the movie

I've had hte series here now for 3 months or so but I avne't had the time or motivation to watch it. I didn't find the movie to be so very good and that was probably the result to why I gave this series lower priority.

BUT 3 days ago I turned on the first ep and the first 10 minutes I understood that this was NOOOOWAY like the movie. When the first ep ended I had to watch the second one and when that one etc etc. So after 10 eps when the time was 4.20am I had to stop (Against my will but uni takes time). The following day I watched 11 eps in a row and now I watched the last 5 eps.

It's been a while since I felt this NEED to watch the next ep. I'm a NGE fan and NGE if my no.1 fave anime. But I definetly place Escaflowne on my absolute TOP 5 list. They are very very different but they both have elements that gave me the NEED to watch the next ep, excellent plot the soundtracks are outstanding etc. I'm going to buy the BOX set when I have the cash. The only thing is the pinochio noses, it..takes some time to get used to them
Old 18-12-2002, 05:21 PM   #2   [permalink]
Lady Fanel
Forum Junkie

Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Fanel
Glad to have new fans! My family hates their noses too, but I don't mind them. I've never seen the movie, but hope to someday! (Preferably soon!)

Lady Fanel
Lady Fanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2002, 10:06 PM   #3   [permalink]
Callisto
Forum Addicted

Send a message via MSN to Callisto
Welcome.
Old 18-12-2002, 10:52 PM   #4   [permalink]
Ekaterini
Forum Junkie

Ah, another person has joined the cult. Esca is my favorite anime, though I saw the series before the movie, so by the time I did see the movie, it was like a treat for me, already a fan.

So who's your favorite character, Distman?

Last edited by Ekaterini; 18-12-2002 at 11:05 PM.
Ekaterini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2002, 10:09 AM   #5   [permalink]
DistMan
Executive Member

Hmm that's a hard choice. There were a lot of good characters in Escaflowne. It's a though choice.

Hmm but I think that Folken or Hitomi would be my fave char.
Old 19-12-2002, 10:31 AM   #6   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

The noses really didn't annoy me that much, if anything that make Esca stand out from the generic pack of character designs that have been around lately.

The movie seems to be aimed at a completely different audience then what Escaflowne was aimed at. Most Esca fans can't stand the movie while quite a few people who didn't really like Esca loved the movie.

The soundtrack for Esca was awesome though, imo Yoko Kanno's best work though I prefer classical style music to jazz (Cowboy Bebop) and there wasn't enough music material from Macross Plus.

BTW don't you hate it when you put something off for some reason and when you eventually watch it you end up loving it.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2002, 11:11 AM   #7   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
Good taste my friend! I found I also 'had' to watch the next ep myself.
Old 19-12-2002, 04:08 PM   #8   [permalink]
Ekaterini
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by DistMan
Hmm but I think that Folken or Hitomi would be my fave char.
Hitomi? I haven't heard too many people say that, but that's cool. She's not my absolute fav, but I like her.

And as for the movie and series appealing to different groups of people, I'm one of those fans who can't like one better that the other. lol ::imagines thedarkmarine shaking his head::

::calls out into the animeboards world:: Have you decided yet to completely avoid the Esca forum from now on, TDM? lol jk

Last edited by Ekaterini; 19-12-2002 at 04:10 PM.
Old 19-12-2002, 05:20 PM   #9   [permalink]
Lady Fanel
Forum Junkie

Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Fanel
:answers: It would appear that way, wouldn't it, Ekaterini?
Lady Fanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2002, 09:22 PM   #10   [permalink]
Ekaterini
Forum Junkie

heheh I think too many of us have weirded him out too many times. ^^;
Old 19-12-2002, 10:30 PM   #11   [permalink]
3Magic Beans
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to 3Magic Beans Send a message via MSN to 3Magic Beans
mmmmm escaflowne, my oldest obsession. It's good to have a new member of our little cult. Personally I like to think of myself as an Escaholic... I just can't get enough. Anyway, rock on dist.
Old 19-12-2002, 11:09 PM   #12   [permalink]
Dilandau Addict
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Dilandau Addict
Welcome to the forum DistMan. You shall find that we're not really that crazy of a bunch. We're a rather intellectual sort who happen to share the same passion for a certain anime series. And I'm sure you'll be most impressed by our high level of intel-

Eh? Did, did you say your fav character was, either, either Folken, or Hitomi? Eh heh heh heh heh. You meant to say Dilandau-sama, right? Eh heh heh heh. Because everybody knows that Dilandau is the best character in the whole series, nay in the entire universe of anime! That's what you meant to say!! Dilandau!!! Your fav character is Dilandau! DILANDAU!!! YOU WILL WORSHIP AND ADORE THE ALMIGHTY DILANDAU YOU PATHETIC MORTAL!!!!! ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY DILANDAU!!!!!! DILANDAUDILANDAUDILANDAUDILANDAU.........

*is dragged away frothing at the mouth*

---

Right then. If that didn't scare you away nor scar you for life, then you might survive here. Welcome to the Esca forum!

~My Best Friend
Dilandau Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2002, 06:53 AM   #13   [permalink]
DistMan
Executive Member

Hahaha Thanks a lot guys

Yah Dilandau. Hmm acutally I've got somethign for cat chicks. And the two catchicks (..can'tremember their names right now) that served Folken were cool. But they had to little air time for me to place them in my fave char list. And Merle...well...When I say catchick i mean more mature ones
Old 20-12-2002, 12:09 PM   #14   [permalink]
Ekaterini
Forum Junkie

Naria and Eriya. Yeah, the creators could have given them more air time; more about their training with Folken. I personally would have liked more on Dilandau and Celena however. Isn't that right, Dilandau Addict?
Old 21-12-2002, 05:02 PM   #15   [permalink]
hell

heh yup dilandau sama and Celena should have had more screen time, not that there ever could be enough of him in esca. Bean's escaholic coment is me all over. hehe hmm more dil and celena oh and some history on the Slayers. That would have been good. It just an totally untouched subject 'the slayers' thank god for fanfics hehehe *grins*

Well anyway welcome to the madness which is Escaflowne. Hopefully this new obsession is just the start! *empties pockets and purse, stares down into the empty void and cries* thank god christmas is here and once again i can return to extending my collection.

Personally like Ekaterini i saw the series long before the movie and so i was already so hooked on it. The movie was just like watching an AU esca fan fic made real and since ive read so many i felt totally at easy with it. It was nice to see them placed into a slightly different situation! And the art work was breath taking. It was clear how long had been spent on it. That was my one problem with the series ...how Van seemed to chance in style every so often...not that it ever put me off hehe

Anyway enjoy your time here DistMan
hell is offline   Reply With Quote