Old 07-01-2001, 02:48 PM   #1   [permalink]
tekblade
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to tekblade Send a message via AIM to tekblade
i saw escaflowne so many times and the plot is okay and character development too, but wasnt the ending just plain old sucked? i mean you just saved gaea from destruction and all she does is go home? what is that? at the end it does show van sitting on a rock so is that supposed to mean that she can visit him any time? well its just me but i liked the series alot but the ending was just not right to me.
tekblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 03:14 PM   #2   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Nairohe Send a message via Yahoo to Nairohe
i guess he just didn't know how to end it... but if you think about the whole story and where it was leading to... this was the best plot possible...

see, in the first place, hitomi thought and considered gaea a dream... so no matter how things may seem real, her world, earth is her reality so she has to return to it and chose to return to it...

making hitomi stay in gaea wouldn't be good because its going to show how unreal she is... that means living in a dream world... for her at least... i dunno if i'm saying this right... eheheh... but i hope you get the idea...

i know the ending sucks because some of the relationships weren't cleared up or mended. Allen and Millerna for example... you dont know if they're still going out together or if they've let go of each other... and what about Allen's sister? what's with her? so now that she's back, what happens next?

There's Van and the cat girl... i doubt they'll end up together... its likely that van ends up the king of fanelia... but what?
Old 07-01-2001, 09:29 PM   #3   [permalink]
warlock
Executive Member

Yeah, Escaflowne has one of the best story but the ending is quite disappointing. Most of the times when I watch the show it really excites me and all but the ending is a little bit cold and boring. I totally hate open endings cause it gives me headaches thinking on what's a better ending.
warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 05:06 PM   #4   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

I agree! The ending was kinda lame. I bought the VHS box set before I'd read any reviews about it (my credit card went ouch!!), and I watched the entire series in 3 days as the plot & the love triangle between Hitomi, Van & Allen really gripped me. When the final episode finished, I sorta said "oh". I was quite disappointed with the ending. Don't get me wrong, I really like the series, so-much so, that I'm starting to buy it on DVD, but the ending was a little bit anti-climatic...,

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 07:12 PM   #5   [permalink]
tekblade
Forum Master

ah i agree with you all, but iguess the creator had a tuff plan to create an ending to fit so i guess thats all he could come up with. i think he/she planned it ahead just did it while it was going i guess. im not assuming but im just guessing.
Old 10-01-2001, 01:02 PM   #6   [permalink]
random1377
Forum Elite

Location: In a dark, angsty corner, loathing myself for all my failures.
Send a message via ICQ to random1377 Send a message via AIM to random1377 Send a message via Yahoo to random1377
I think it should have ended with Van becoming dispondant and deciding that everyone should die, then taking his Ev- er, I mean melf, into the atmosphere to complete the third imp- um, I mean, ultimate fortune zone. Then Merle should have merged with Lillith and..... wait.... never mind....

Yes, I thought the ending was a little lackluster. Kind of empty. Didn't have the emotional impact that the rest of the series was builing up to. One thing I did like was that Dilandu was actually.... well, let's not spoil it for those who haven't seen it, eh?
Old 10-01-2001, 05:31 PM   #7   [permalink]
kaia
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to kaia Send a message via AIM to kaia Send a message via Yahoo to kaia
well, the ending kinda disappointed me. it wasnt what i expected. it was kinda hanging or something, but all in all, the anime is cool. :B:

kaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 07:42 PM   #8   [permalink]
tekblade
Forum Master

heh dont get mixed up with eva there
Old 10-01-2001, 11:41 PM   #9   [permalink]
random1377
Forum Elite

Location: In a dark, angsty corner, loathing myself for all my failures.
Send a message via ICQ to random1377 Send a message via AIM to random1377 Send a message via Yahoo to random1377
(holding head) so confusing!!! Melfs.... EVAs.... Impacts... Fortune zones.... Cat girls.... Clone girls.... Angels... Dragons.... MAKE THE VOICES STOP!!!!!

Old 11-01-2001, 09:04 PM   #10   [permalink]
Manathern
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Manathern
Talking

Just like the tv ending for Eva...
:love:I LOVE YURI!!!!:love:
Manathern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 11:10 PM   #11   [permalink]
tekblade
Forum Master

well i dont know..
Old 11-01-2001, 11:42 PM   #12   [permalink]
Melusine

I was disappointed with the ending (because the romantic in me always wants the characters to stay together) but at the same time I really respected it and I don't know how it could have been much better. I mean, it's a real risk to have an ending where the couple doesn't end up together. It would have seemed kind of corny if they have, even if it would have been more emotionally gratifying. I think you're just supposed to understand that Hitomi did what she needed to do, and grew because of it, but she needed to move on.

That's my take, anyway.

(SPOILER!)

I will say, though, I was really pissed off that she and Van never kissed. That would have made it all better.

later

mlc
Old 12-01-2001, 03:20 PM   #13   [permalink]
kaia
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to kaia Send a message via AIM to kaia Send a message via Yahoo to kaia
i was more surprised when i found i out that dilandu was actually allen's long lost sister.....

the ending seems to imply that everything was just a dream for hitomi. anyhow, its still good.
kaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2001, 08:57 AM   #14   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by random1377
I think it should have ended with Van becoming dispondant and deciding that everyone should die, then taking his Ev- er, I mean melf, into the atmosphere to complete the third imp- um, I mean, ultimate fortune zone. Then Merle should have merged with Lillith and..... wait.... never mind....

Escaflowne was released in japan the same time as Eva was so its a bit hard to rip it off
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2001, 11:44 PM   #15   [permalink]
Human Fighter

Well I like Shoujo but I'm not a big romantic so the ending was good by my standards. It was somewhat realistic anyways. its not like they could stay together for every or anything.
Human Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote