Old 05-11-2004, 09:23 AM   #1   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to ATh
upgrading my pc

Now i spoke to Access and he recomended

AMD Athlon 64bit 3000+
Asus K8N-E Deluxe Nforec motherboard

Which sounds good, but as i will be running windows (2k or xp) i wont benifit from the 64bit.

Which means i can cut my costs by getting a different cpu and motherboard.

I want a gaming machine that can cope with present games as well as future ones (2 years) i want to upgrade my vid card in about 18-24 months, not now so i dont want that new pcie or what ever replaces AGP.

(i will also get 2x 512 kingston DDR400 ram and a
200gig SATA hdd)

Is it worth me getting this cpu and mobo if i am using windows? or can i get an AMD Athlon XP processor and an asus board to match?

ATh
ATh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #2   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
I'm told it is. In any case, evaluation copies of Windows XP 64-Bit is already avaiable and is to be relased during the spring.

Last edited by Nulani; 05-11-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Nulani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:21 PM   #3   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

But winXP64 is still a 32bit library with some 64bit thrown in adhoc. Present tests show that it sometimes runs 64bit programs slower than the current winXP because it runs the long 64bit libraries.

All the programs for windows are still 32bit programs, and until they are rewritten they will remain that way.

It is possible that in a few years time the 64bit will be useful on a windows machine, so the question is whether or not i will still have the same cpu then or not, which i am unsure about

ATh
Old 06-11-2004, 01:16 PM   #4   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

After that happens, the computer industry will want everybody to ditch their 32 bit computers and get 64 bit ones instead.
Old 13-11-2004, 02:06 PM   #5   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

You're upgrading your vid card in 18 months but don't want PCI Express? Even though it's significantly faster and the nforce 4 will support SLI for dual video cards using PCI Express? And even though most people in the industry are predicting a major shift away from AGP once PCI Express becomes more mainstream?
Old 14-11-2004, 07:04 AM   #6   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

well i still havetn made the upgrade. perhaps i might wait until the new year and go PCIE. can i still use an AGP card on a mobo that is PCIE?

ATh
Old 14-11-2004, 06:43 PM   #7   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
I was looking into the same upgrade with an msi Nforce3 mobo. Eventhough you won't need the 64bit extensions for a while, an athlon64 still outperforms 32bit processor in native 32bit mode, also its heat efficient in comparisson to my athlon 1,4Ghz.

As for SLI, I think ATI has a better solution, they are introducing a similar system only it doesn't need to be the same graphic card to synchronise the graphics processing power, even the onboard graphic will do untill you can afford a better graphic board.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2004, 06:47 PM   #8   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
Well, ATh, the biggest factor in doing that is how much you can actually spend.

If you're spending everything you can to future-proof your computer then you should get PCI-E board. If you're willing to spend again in the future for upgrade then stick with AGP.

I predict that this thing between 32-bit and 64-bit, PCI-E and AGP will be exactly the same as last time, maybe slightly faster. Last time the world moved from 16-bit to 32-bit it took some hideous amount of time. Look, my computer, which is not the latest but still was built only few years back, STILL has an ISA slot in it.

Considering that and that I don't believe the companies producing totally brand new spanking technology that improves your performance by 200%, more like 10% or so these days, if you're gaming now, then AGP is the best option.

It depends on you. Are you willing to spend PCI-E now and not be worried later about upgrading your motherboard or should you stick with AGP boards as of now and live with satisfactory frame rate for your games for next 2 years.
Old 15-11-2004, 07:25 AM   #9   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Well i dont want to spend mroe than 1k, less than 800 if i can get away with it.

I wont be upgrading till the end of december/january i think now. The parts wont get to me for a while so i may as well wait till i am in sydney to get it all.

But i am serious about looking now.

The only reason i didnt want to go PCI-E was that i just got my new agp card a few months back.

Though i guess if i give my internals to my fiancee then i can get a new graphics card too.

Ill continue to look

ATh
Old 15-11-2004, 08:35 AM   #10   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
If it's less than $800 then I say get a new AGP-based graphics card, say a Radeon 9800 or its Pro version, and stick with it for a while. If you can survive with 60fps+ then you're a good man. Stick around until the next gen comes out or you can afford more.

Note that I still live with a GeForce4 MX 440. It's one of the crappiest graphic cards ever made, but I still live with it because I can live with 15fps+. How much lower you can go will be up to you, but I doubt you'll see anything less than 60fps if you get a new graphics card.
Old 15-11-2004, 08:49 AM   #11   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
BTW, I haven't seen an amd board with pci-e yet, probably because it already has Hypertransport. The latest chipset from Nvidia(Nforce4) wil support PCI-express, then again you still have to wait for it to be introduced and pricing would be a lot higher than current avaible boards. Also noticed that there are two versions of the AMD64 3000+ since its for both socket754 and socket939, better getting matching pin grid or you might end up going back to the store for a replacement CPU of board.
There is also difference in clockspeed and performance since the s939 is made with 0,09micron and the s754 is 0,14micron process(something like that). As for pricing, I intend on spending around 550 AUS $ for the motherboard and AMD64 3200+ CPU, the rest I can overhaul from my old system untill I can afford new stuff.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 08:07 PM   #12   [permalink]
GouryG

Send a message via AIM to GouryG Send a message via MSN to GouryG Send a message via Yahoo to GouryG
I'd say go with a mobo that supports AGP video because from what I have seen the few PCIE vid cards that are out there are super expensive. If it is in your budget go for the AIT Raedeon 9600 pro card, it probably is IMHO the best card out there. The ASUS mobo is a good choice too, they usaully offer several versions of the same board with preinstalled accessories. For example when I bought the MOBO for my current comp I picked up a A7N8X Deluxe which had factory installed dual lan jacks, firewire, and 4 onboard USB and 2 more in a clip.
Old 18-12-2004, 03:47 AM   #13   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by ATh
well i still havetn made the upgrade. perhaps i might wait until the new year and go PCIE. can i still use an AGP card on a mobo that is PCIE?

ATh
According to some of the reports I have read from Toms Hardware ... there will most probably be an interim period (now) where ... there will be hybrid mobos that support both AGP and PCI express ... the logic behind this is convincing ... a quality 8 times agp card can run competitively with present generation (single) pci video solutions ... add to this that there is undoubtably a segment of the buying population that would resist an upgrade path that requires both a mobo and video card upgrade by default (unless effective onboard video was an option).

Sam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 03:54 AM   #14   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by ATh
Well i dont want to spend mroe than 1k, less than 800 if i can get away with it.

I wont be upgrading till the end of december/january i think now. The parts wont get to me for a while so i may as well wait till i am in sydney to get it all.

But i am serious about looking now.

The only reason i didnt want to go PCI-E was that i just got my new agp card a few months back.

Though i guess if i give my internals to my fiancee then i can get a new graphics card too.

Ill continue to look

ATh
Well if you are going AMD ... then at present AGP is the only solution ... Nvidias Nforce 4 (when it comes out) will provide pci-e connectivity ... but unless you plan on going SLI ... then AGP 8 is still competive with all but the fastest pci-e cards on the market ... a good example would be a generic 6800 based card for about 225$ US ... CompUSA had a sale last week for an entry level 6800 from PNY for 199$ US (75 instore ... 25 mail in) ... granted PNY is not my first choice ... and it is the slowest 6800 ... nevertheless it should outperform the majority of cards on the market today.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote