Old 15-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #1   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Random problem with ATI Radeon and Windows Media Player

I got an old ATI Radeon 7000 (64MB PCI version) to install in my computer, because it doesn't have an AGP or PCI-E, so it isn't worth wasting a ton of money trying to get a high-end regular PCI card, and anything should be better than my onboard video (Intel 845GL).

Anyways, after getting the card installed and set as my primary display adapter, I disabled the onboard in Windows and in BIOS. When I got clone mode running on a TV, I tried to open a video to test out the overlay mode. But Windows Media Player immediately hung itself. If I leave WMP running, I can still use the computer, and if I disable and reenable the clone display, I can get the clone output to unfreeze. But if I close WMP after the crash happens, the entire system hangs, no ctrl-alt-del, nothing. The mouse will continue to respond as long as I don't click any of the buttons more than a couple times, but the mouse is worthless when Windows won't respond.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling updated the newest ATI Catalyst driver. And uninstalling all codecs I have (even though I knew they're not the problem), and I ran the installation for WMP 10 over the version 10 I already have installed, just in case some file was damaged or needed to be replaced specific to my new video card. But the first regular mpeg file I opened crashed WMP just like normal. So I opened the same video in Media Player Classic, and it ran perfectly. I haven't tried clone output with any other media player yet. I know WMP sucks compared to Classic, but WMP actually is preferrable in some rare cases, and I can't foresee any reason I should have to ditch WMP just because I installed a video card.

I haven't completely uninstalled all the software for the onboard video, or tried a full uninstall and clean install of WMP 10, but does anybody have any advice or tips I can try, short of ditching this video card?
Old 15-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #2   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

I reached the end of my patience, I'm just about ready to send the damn card back. Nothing works to fix this piece of crap. This is a notice to everybody to avoid buying an ATI card, their drivers aren't worth the video card's weight in sh*t.

It's got to the point that no matter which set of 3 possible ATI drivers I use, all videos (regardless of source format or resolution) play back as 320x240, or don't play back at all and crash the system. This is completely unacceptable. I'm sorry I ever thought I couldn't possibly do worse than just my onboard video.

Last edited by raynebc; 15-03-2006 at 06:16 PM.
raynebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #3   [permalink]
Lurker
Forum Addicted

Just a thought, but is WMP 10 compatible with such an old video card?
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #4   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Yes. For the record, the problem happens with WMP 9 also.

When I tv-out, the video looks close enough, I'll just deal with it since I won't be using multiple CRT monitors.