Old 27-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #1   [permalink]
Katerine

Request: dates

Hi,
I have what will hopefully be a simple request.

The dates on this forum are in the format, "dd-mm-yy". This is not user-changeable. And as an American, this date is almost impossible for me to read. I can never tell the difference between what is supposed to be the year, vs. the day, vs. the month.

It takes a lot of getting ued to. I, at least, am accustomed to dates that are either in the format, "mm-dd-yyyy," "m-d-yyyy," or "yyyy-mm-dd."

I understand that you can't simply change the date for everybody to be "m/d/yyyy" format, but can you at least change it to "dd-mm-yyyy" format (with a 4-digit year) so that, even if I still have to work out which number is the day and which number is the month, I at least don't have to puzzle out which number is the year? That alone will make things so much easier!

Or better yet, "yyyy-mm-dd." That date format is universally recognized.

Thanks.
Katerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 01:34 AM   #2   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Hmmm... guess being Australian owned with a nice Aussie member base as well we're all use to mm-dd-yy format.

Is is really that hard to know 09 = 2009 as it doesn't change much - well until 2010
Old 28-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #3   [permalink]
Katerine

Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
Hmmm... guess being Australian owned with a nice Aussie member base as well we're all use to mm-dd-yy format.

Is is really that hard to know 09 = 2009 as it doesn't change much - well until 2010
Many of the forums and threads haven't been updated since 2006. So, I can't see at a glance that "06" (or "05" or "07" or "08") refers to the year, and not the month or the day.

Would it really hurt anything to change it to "dd-mm-yyyy"? (or "mm-dd-yyyy")

Last edited by Katerine; 28-01-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 29-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #4   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
It might. Have you not heard of the tragic case of the 8yo boy who nearly died as a result of adding 2 digits to his date stamp??
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #5   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Katerine View Post
Would it really hurt anything to change it to "dd-mm-yyyy"? (or "mm-dd-yyyy")
What you will notice very quickly around this neck of the woods is that board management is not really interested in changing anything. They worship the great god Inertia.
  • Would it hurt to add an option to switch the format of the dates? No, and it would make this place more user-friendly for all the yanks here.
  • Would it hurt to archive subforums that are so dead that the Grim Reaper would think twice about visiting? No, and it would certainly make the layout of the boards more user-friendly and attractive.
  • Would it hurt the moderators to post and make polls? To welcome new members? No, and it would help to encourage old and new members to post more. On a side note, that this subforum is called Contact Admin/Moderators is just crazy, because the Moderators never respond.
You're noticing a little trend here?

By the way, congratulations board management team on another day where there have been no new posts (before this one) and yet again, there are 0-2 members here apart from myself at the moment.

In the other thread, I expressed my amazement at the fact that you (board management) have absolutely no coherent strategy for the future and zero ideas about what you would like to aim for in the future. But now I realise just what your hopes for the future are:

You are content with the current state and you just don't have either the honesty or the guts to say it.

Put simply, this means that you don't realise what a f-ucking joke this place is and the causes behind this. Eva2k, you don't realise what a f-ucking joke your moderators have been over the last 2 yrs. And if you don't acknowledge how you fucked up when you are fucked up, then you will remain fucked up. This is the final nail in the coffin.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 31-01-2009 at 02:40 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #6   [permalink]
Katerine

Ok, going back to the original point of this particular thread, please do something to make the dates universally readable!

Last edited by Katerine; 01-02-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:49 AM   #7   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
A girl is asking you for a date...something...Eva2k. Are you up to the challenge?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #8   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Yes I know, I often ask myself why I take such a softly-softly approach when dealing with board management here.

Ok, going back to the original point of this particular thread, please do something to make the dates universally readable!
Didn't you get the moral of my previous post? The word on the street is that board management has completely lost touch with reality. You've got to set this debate in its historical context to see how everything points towards board management systematically ignoring the needs of normal board users and living in some personal bubble.

I get the real feeling that Eva2k is not looking at this objectively but that his views are so romanticized with idealistic fragments of the past that he is simply ignoring reality and just prolonging a fantasy that has squeezed the life out of this place.

Let's look at what sort of vibes these management gurus give out:

1. Eva2k: "You know, I'm a very sentimental person and hence I refuse to delete any posts or subforums and I refuse to get rid of inactive accounts that will never become active again. Obviously, I can just archive inactive subforums, but you know, I don't really want to do that or make any other changes . Of course, this is exactly what has resulted in AnimeBoards sinking deeper and deeper into liquid shite and this has caused everyone to desert this place after they've smelt the pungent fumes, but you know what? I don't care because I have no incentive to keep hold of active members or to try and make this place reasonably active like it has been. It's not like I get sentimental about active members deserting and never coming back or about losing the lively atmosphere of this place. I just get sentimental about keeping dead accounts open!"

Yeah, that makes a f-uck load of sense doesn't it.

2. Eva2k: "You know, the moderators here have put a lot of heart and effort into this place and I trust them 100% to run this place! After reading a stack of conclusive evidence that the moderators have not been been doing their jobs properly, after seeing with my own eyes how most moderators don't even bother coming here anymore, after losing nearly the entire population of AnimeBoards with one of the main reasons being a lack of trust in board management's ability to do anything, and (this is the icing on the cake) after hearing one of my own moderators say that this place is a hopeless cause in a new thread and insinuating that he would be moving on - quote (http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=60421):

Originally Posted by Wolfpac
The writing has been on the wall for ages, but for me this is the final nail. No matter what we do from here, I think Animeboards is about to pass. The only thing keeping this place going is the banner ads that the spiders view. Heck I can't even remember the last time eva2000 posted here. Animeboards, you have been great for me, but maybe it is time to move on.
- my very logical assessment is that my trust in the current moderators has never been stronger. We're inseparable - like conjoined twins. The mods are doing a great job!"

Yeah OK, you may be able to fool a teenager, but anyone older and who is not blind will not swallow this bullshit.

3. Moderators: ".............."

Go back to sleep.

4. Eva2k:"OK, so in 2007, we had a fairly quick rate of approval of new members, but the problem was that none of them posted because there was no incentive for them to do so. Right, so my strategy was to inexplicably stop approving new members for half a year and then sometime in 2009, I will trial an innovative new system that results in a quick rate of approval of new members. Hopefully that will be enough!"

Bloody f-ucking Nora. I mean, I'd love to say what a great job board management has done, but sometimes you've got to look at reality a bit and admit what a shambles this place has become. It's like watching the fooking Keystone Cops.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 02-02-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #9   [permalink]
Katerine

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Yes I know, I often ask myself why I take such a softly-softly approach when dealing with board management here.

Didn't you get the moral of my previous post? The word on the street is that board management has completely lost touch with reality. You've got to set this debate in its historical context to see how everything points towards board management systematically ignoring the needs of normal board users and living in some personal bubble.

I get the real feeling that Eva2k is not looking at this objectively but that his views are so romanticized with idealistic fragments of the past that he is simply ignoring reality and just prolonging a fantasy that has squeezed the life out of this place.

1. Eva2k: "You know, I'm a very sentimental person and hence I refuse to delete any posts or subforums and I refuse to get rid of inactive accounts that will never become active again. Obviously, I can just archive inactive subforums, but you know, I don't really want to do that or make any other changes . Of course, this is exactly what has resulted in AnimeBoards sinking deeper and deeper into liquid shite and this has caused everyone to desert this place after they've smelt the pungent fumes, but you know what? I don't care because I have no incentive to keep hold of active members or to try and make this place reasonably active like it has been. It's not like I get sentimental about active members deserting and never coming back or about losing the lively atmosphere of this place. I just get sentimental about keeping dead accounts open!"

2. Eva2k: "You know, the moderators here have put a lot of heart and effort into this place and I trust them 100% to run this place! After reading a stack of conclusive evidence that the moderators have not been been doing their jobs properly, after seeing with my own eyes how most moderators don't even bother coming here anymore, after losing nearly the entire population of AnimeBoards with one of the main reasons being a lack of trust in board management's ability to do anything, and (this is the icing on the cake) after hearing one of my own moderators say that this place is a hopeless cause in a new thread and insinuating that he would be moving on - quote (http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=60421):

- my very logical assessment is that my trust in the current moderators has never been stronger. We're inseparable - like conjoined twins. The mods are doing a great job!"

Yeah OK, you may be able to fool a teenager, but anyone older and who is not blind will not swallow this bullshit.

3. Moderators: ".............."

Go back to sleep.

4. Eva2k:"OK, so in 2007, we had a fairly quick rate of approval of new members, but the problem was that none of them posted because there was no incentive for them to do so. Right, so my strategy was to inexplicably stop approving new members for half a year and then sometime in 2009, I will trial an innovative new system that results in a quick rate of approval of new members. Hopefully that will be enough!"

Bloody f-ucking Nora. I mean, I'd love to say what a great job board management has done, but sometimes you've got to look at reality a bit and admit what a shambles this place has become. It's like watching the fooking Keystone Cops.
Ok. Umm... Here's my concern.

I'm a newbie here. I don't know eva2k at all (I am, in fact, just taking your word for it that he's male). But from the little that I've seen of his posts, he seems like a nice person.

And it's pretty obvious from the rather strange lack of Google ads on this site (eva2k, you know that Google AdWords was made for sites just like this one, right? ), that he is getting nothing out of creating/maintaining this board, except for the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from having created something that people actually use and enjoy.

So, if you're doing something on a purely volunteer basis, pretty much out of the kindness of your heart, and then somebody posts a bunch of suggestions, but then also posts things like, "Bloody f-ucking Nora. I mean, I'd love to say what a great job board management has done, but sometimes you've got to look at reality a bit and admit what a shambles this place has become. It's like watching the fooking Keystone Cops." ...

...This is not the kind of thing that makes a volunteer want to rub his hands together and get to work. It is, in fact, the kind of thing that makes a volunteer want to dig in his heels and, consciously or unconsciously, "get back" at the person who's bullying him, by simply doing nothing at all. Not saying that's what eva2k will do (like I said, I don't know him at all)... I'm just saying, that would be a perfectly natural, normal, human response for any volunteer to have, when they're being bullied in their free time.

Which would be a shame, because I think most of your suggestions are really good ones (I'm not sold on the "archiving" one, personally - I simply see no reason for it - but the rest of them all seem really good).

And I just want to be able to understand dates at a glance without having to decipher them...
Old 05-02-2009, 04:14 AM   #10   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Katerine you are entirely too sensible to be a newb. I will let you into the cool kids club (members: me) as a reward.

Eva2k is indeed a very nice, if entirely shadowy individual. Running the site isn't the half of it. For years he spent thousands of dollars a year to keep this site clean and fast. I think he is just burnt out now from all the hookers and blow. Life of an admin amirite?
Old 05-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #11   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post

As i outlined at http://animeboards.com/showpost.php?...5&postcount=25 if you can't at least half or vaguely understand my sentimental reasons, then it will be hard to see where I'm coming from and i can then understand how frustrating it is for you viewing from the outside my outlined mindset.

Things will change but more on my timetable which maybe too slow for you. But I do take note of your suggestions.

Ok. Umm... Here's my concern.

I'm a newbie here. I don't know eva2k at all (I am, in fact, just taking your word for it that he's male). But from the little that I've seen of his posts, he seems like a nice person.

And it's pretty obvious from the rather strange lack of Google ads on this site (eva2k, you know that Google AdWords was made for sites just like this one, right? ), that he is getting nothing out of creating/maintaining this board, except for the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from having created something that people actually use and enjoy.

So, if you're doing something on a purely volunteer basis, pretty much out of the kindness of your heart, and then somebody posts a bunch of suggestions, but then also posts things like, "Bloody f-ucking Nora. I mean, I'd love to say what a great job board management has done, but sometimes you've got to look at reality a bit and admit what a shambles this place has become. It's like watching the fooking Keystone Cops." ...

...This is not the kind of thing that makes a volunteer want to rub his hands together and get to work. It is, in fact, the kind of thing that makes a volunteer want to dig in his heels and, consciously or unconsciously, "get back" at the person who's bullying him, by simply doing nothing at all. Not saying that's what eva2k will do (like I said, I don't know him at all)... I'm just saying, that would be a perfectly natural, normal, human response for any volunteer to have, when they're being bullied in their free time.

Which would be a shame, because I think most of your suggestions are really good ones (I'm not sold on the "archiving" one, personally - I simply see no reason for it - but the rest of them all seem really good).

And I just want to be able to understand dates at a glance without having to decipher them...
Katerine, thanks for the insightful and almost correct comments there. All mods and I do /done this voluntarily with gain besides the enjoyment from creating something from nothing for others to use.

I say almost correct in the sense that John's comments won't cause me to try and 'get back' at him in anyway. John does has some good suggestions as well. Instead it's more of sadness in a sense to basically say I don't care or haven't done enough (even if it's the case) as I care very much/too much about AB. Let's say if I didn't have to work for a living, have off-line obligations to family, work etc, then I'd be on AB everyday working at it like I did at the beginning of AB (yeah excuses heh)

With that said, date format has been changed day-month-yyyy

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki View Post
Katerine you are entirely too sensible to be a newb. I will let you into the cool kids club (members: me) as a reward.

Eva2k is indeed a very nice, if entirely shadowy individual. Running the site isn't the half of it. For years he spent thousands of dollars a year to keep this site clean and fast. I think he is just burnt out now from all the hookers and blow. Life of an admin amirite?
haha thanks for the kind words, somewhat

Last edited by eva2000; 05-02-2009 at 06:50 AM.
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:35 AM   #12   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

But from the little that I've seen of his posts, he seems like a nice person.
You make judgements quickly.

The whole issue being whether users are actually enjoying it here, given the ridiculously low posting rate. Let's put it this way: Eva2k, the admin, is one of the most active members here and since he isn't even that active by his own admission, you know you've got a problem.

I have volunteered before (not helping out on messageboards, but in real life) and if I was going about my tasks in fundamentally the wrong way, I would absolutely want someone to set me straight, even more so if I was actually pumping so much cash into the volunteering project.

Since you're clued up on natural, normal, human responses, you would also know that some people lurch into inertia and need strong motivational words to break out of its spell. You would also know that when a place has actually gotten worse despite 2+ yrs of straight lobbying, a major factor being lack of fundamental changes which were being lobbied for, then the people doing the lobbying will come out with strong words. You will know that when a real community has collapsed, there will be people who will be screaming at their local policitians and whoever else they can attribute the collapse to. You will also know that if Eva2k digs his heels in just to spite me, he is making the whole community here (or what's left of it) suffer just to settle a personal vendetta, which would completely go against his sentimentality and sense of duty as an admin, and thus this lowers the probability of this happening considerably.

As for bullying? I'm the shoe-thrower to Eva2k's George Bush or Wen Jiabao.

Well, you got your wish - since Eva2k has actioned 2/2 of your requests so far, maybe you can ask him for more changes?

Originally Posted by Eva2k
As i outlined at http://animeboards.com/showpost.php?...5&postcount=25 if you can't at least half or vaguely understand my sentimental reasons, then it will be hard to see where I'm coming from and i can then understand how frustrating it is for you viewing from the outside my outlined mindset.
I think you may have missed the point of that part of my post there - my point was not that I don't understand that you can be sentimental. The point was that if you are the sentimental type, then you would be having heartaches over all the older members having left this place because of inactivity and over the fact that this place is a mere shadow of what it used to be like (not just way back in 2000-3 but in 2004-6), and would be doing your utmost to make changes that would attract old members back to this place and new members.

Things will change but more on my timetable which maybe too slow for you.
I don't know what your timetable is so I don't know how slow or fast it is. You've never posted anything about your future strategy for 2009 or beyond, despite many requests.

Let's say if I didn't have to work for a living, have off-line obligations to family, work etc, then I'd be on AB everyday working at it like I did at the beginning of AB (yeah excuses heh)
We've gone over this before - the point here is that you DO have off-line obligations and so we have to find a plan that takes this into consideration. That is why I stressed the importance of having a good TEAM of moderators helping you out here - moderators that try and post and make things more alive here and which would mean that your Ozzie dollars are not going straight down the drains for nothing. And if you don't have a good team of moderators who have time to manage this place, get new ones as I have suggested what seems like a million times (see latest response here which also addresses why being emotional over letting go of old mods makes no sense if you do this with mutual respect - http://www.animeboards.com/showthrea...#post537850908).

Last edited by John Faulkner; 06-02-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:16 AM   #13   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Oh sure, just cave to the newbies. I thought you had principles man!

Also if you have children and you haven't told us about em, there is gonna be some srs drama goin on. Having a wife we haven't heard about I could forgive, anything more and Im going to have to revisit our Non-Stalking and Getting Along act of 1999.
Old 18-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #14   [permalink]
Katerine

This is a little belated (I haven't been on a lot lately. Lots of studying Japanese. Lots of Bleach. ), but I just wanted to say thanks.

That's about all I can say right now and trust that it will make sense. Ten straight nights with very little sleep; I am totally dead on my feet...
Old 19-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #15   [permalink]
kamikazefstorm
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to kamikazefstorm
Just to say, the mm-dd-yy never bothered me in the least. You get used to it after a while.
kamikazefstorm is offline   Reply With Quote