Old 22-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #1   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Tactic #6: Get Rid of News Hound

Delete it. Consign it to digital hell. It's horrible. I'll tell you the obvious reason why, which I'm surprised nobody has bothered to point out before.
  • News Hound directs you AWAY FROM ANIMEBOARDS to other websites, some with their own MUCH MORE ACTIVE forums. News Hound would have been fine if the news was written by e.g. the moderators so that it doesn't provide links to other websites for the full news stories. But no. It forces people to visit other websites by providing links. News Hound is a cancer for Animeboards.

I would have pointed this out ages ago, but the activity here was so bad, I went with the lesser of two evils and just kept quiet because it was at least giving new material to read (albeit on different websites).

I was also going to write something to try and persuade the mods to take turns in writing some news items in place of the current automated system, but I think I'll play the lottery instead because my chances of success are higher.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 22-08-2009 at 04:22 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #2   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
At least it dosent show up under the new posts anymore that was really annoying.

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #3   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Not half as annoying as when no new posts come up.
Old 23-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #4   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Delete it. Consign it to digital hell. It's horrible. I'll tell you the obvious reason why, which I'm surprised nobody has bothered to point out before.
  • News Hound directs you AWAY FROM ANIMEBOARDS to other websites, some with their own MUCH MORE ACTIVE forums. News Hound would have been fine if the news was written by e.g. the moderators so that it doesn't provide links to other websites for the full news stories. But no. It forces people to visit other websites by providing links. News Hound is a cancer for Animeboards.

I would have pointed this out ages ago, but the activity here was so bad, I went with the lesser of two evils and just kept quiet because it was at least giving new material to read (albeit on different websites).

I was also going to write something to try and persuade the mods to take turns in writing some news items in place of the current automated system, but I think I'll play the lottery instead because my chances of success are higher.
I don't think that we need to get rid of Newshound. I don't follow alot of anime news and NewsHound provide a valuable service for me in that I don't have to bookmark certain sites.

However, I think you have an idea here John. As you so succinctly point out, those sites have message boards attached to them. One of the things that lured people (in many cases most of the Australian members I think) here was that Animeboards was originally attached to an actual site, in this case Eva2000 which was Eva2000's fansite for Evangelion and later BGC2000. I think that if AB was attached to a site that was Anime oriented providing news, reviews, and possibly high quality images that maybe could get people to join here and stay.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #5   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
I don't think that we need to get rid of Newshound. I don't follow alot of anime news and NewsHound provide a valuable service for me in that I don't have to bookmark certain sites.
You might go to Anime News Network (ANN) and then come back here because of your historical ties to this place. But think about it from the perspective of a new member. They see a bunch of links to ANN and click on it to read all the latest news stories, while all the time, they see virtually zero discussion here. So what are they going to do? Stick around? Like hell they would. They would bookmark ANN and join their forums.

News Hound is free marketing for other websites. This is just commercial suicide, if AnimeBoards was a business.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
However, I think you have an idea here John. As you so succinctly point out, those sites have message boards attached to them. One of the things that lured people (in many cases most of the Australian members I think) here was that Animeboards was originally attached to an actual site, in this case Eva2000 which was Eva2000's fansite for Evangelion and later BGC2000. I think that if AB was attached to a site that was Anime oriented providing news, reviews, and possibly high quality images that maybe could get people to join here and stay.
Given that Eva2k is so time-deficient that he hasn't found time to archive sub-forums here for over a year, this is just a non-starter.
Old 25-08-2009, 02:24 AM   #6   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Actually i have archived lots of sub forums silently without announcing such

But news hounds serves a purpose and that is a purpose that all forums should be about and that's free sharing of information regardless of where the information originated from. I totally hate and despise forums which do the opposite with strict rules about linking to external sites (as they're afraid to loose visitors to competing sites). Such sites go as far as to having moderators policing all forum content and links in posts to make sure no one linking to competing sites in their posts or sigs. That is definitely not a future i see for AB.

Last edited by eva2000; 25-08-2009 at 02:27 AM.
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #7   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
Actually i have archived lots of sub forums silently without announcing such
*bows*.

My liege.

We meet once more on the battlefield; proud warriors that have the power to turn the tides of war. May God bless our weary souls. Selah.

But news hounds serves a purpose and that is a purpose that all forums should be about and that's free sharing of information regardless of where the information originated from.
If AnimeBoards was more active, then yes, News Hound would be a great addition. But the reality is that AnimeBoards is in purgatory and you've really got to start thinking of members here first. News Hound may meet the ideals of free speech, but at the same time it's giving free marketing to other websites and driving new members and potential new members away.

What's more important to you - keeping this place alive or keeping to an abstract ideal? Whose obligations do you want to meet - members who have stuck by you for over 8-9 yrs or Anime News Network?

Remember your roots. Remember your passion. Remember your pride.

I totally hate and despise forums which do the opposite with strict rules about linking to external sites (as they're afraid to loose visitors to competing sites). Such sites go as far as to having moderators policing all forum content and links in posts to make sure no one linking to competing sites in their posts or sigs. That is definitely not a future i see for AB.
So why should we give free marketing to others when they don't do jack for us, even though they're far more active than this site at the moment? Screw these other guys and let's start focusing on our own survival first. It's survival of the fittest and we've got to play the game. Other sites are the market leaders and we've got to play rough to get a share of the market. At the end of the day, why do you want to spend money advertising for these other faceless, fastidious websites?

Remember your roots. Remember your passion. Remember your pride.