Old 15-12-2004, 09:08 PM   #16   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
Voltages? On which part of the computer? If you mean increasing the voltage on the CPU for overclocking that's entirely because of each frequency signal needing to meet a certain voltage level to make it on and off. And yes, higher voltage creates even more heat, which is the entire point of cooling in overclocking. On 'normal' settings voltage shouldn't be the issue for motherboards. As for hard drives though... well, he's got a nice PSU so I'm not too worried there.

Those temperatures are fine; my system runs 50'C on the CPU and 28'C inside the case and it's still stable. On idle. In winter. It all depends on which CPU, any other heat creating devices, size of case, and amount of area where heat escapes.... Just keep the CPU under 60'C at all times.

You need an intake fan, or else you'll get a very bad case of dust infestation in your case. If the case only exhausts then the air pressure within the case drops; this means that the dust will more likely to gather in the case than outside. If you get more intake than exhaust then obviously the air pressure will increase, even when air is flowing, and not much dust is gathered other than occassional drifters. Then those ones can be blocked with filters.

Intake fans doesn't work well when the room temperature is higher than case temperature. Well, duh.
Old 15-12-2004, 09:24 PM   #17   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Hiigaran

I also just read recently that AMD published a paper that indicated it might actually make a PC run hotter to have intake fans in the front. I haven't read it myself and it may be AMD specific, but they've shown that exhaust fans are more efficient for cooling than intake fans.
hmmmm ... need to read that ... scratches head ... I have found from experimentation that a combination of intake and exhaust fans (1 to 1 ratio) seems to work best ... such an arrangement creates a unified and constant airflow current with the greatest economy of air current path.

... the one exception to this is the use of a 120 mm door fan placied exactly over the cpu cooler ... such an arrangement would provide for a "cylinder" of cool air being constantly fed into the cpu cooler ...

So far I have gotten solid results from my latest design which takes a stock antec case and adding 2 120 mm thermo controlled fans on the top ... along with a front mounted 120 with rpm controller, rear mounted 120 thermo and the obligatory door 120 with rpm controller.

This may sound like it would be loud ... but the sheer volume of blade surface area along with the dedicated airflow path allow for tunable low rpms that move a significant amount of air at very low noise levels.

Sam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2004, 10:59 PM   #18   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

You can look it up easily on AMD's website. It said that, under extreme conditions, an intake fan would merely recirculate warm air. I believe that would occur if the pressure inside the case was high enough that new air could not be brought in. Also, it said that having an intake fan provides negligible increases in cooling, even under normal conditions.

Silent PC Review and endpcnoise.com both have articles on the topic of intake fans and their usefulness, or rather, lack thereof. The pressure differential created by the rear exhaust and the PSU exhaust fan would be more than enough to draw air in through the front vent without the aid of a fan.
Old 15-12-2004, 11:02 PM   #19   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Well it cools mine down. (/me plays with fan-speed dials to see any temperature change)
Old 16-12-2004, 01:11 AM   #20   [permalink]
fasad
Forum Addicted

i don't know how this helps the debate, but electric fans are useless at creating pressure differences. they are good at moving volumes of air. i work with industrial blowers (blow air into a restriction), and the small ones (blowing air through about 50 litres of coarse material) use 1000 Watts on 3 Phase.

anyway, after experimenting with duct tape, i've subscribed to the "make air go everywhere" school of thought. the wind-tunnel didn't work for me. of course, the ambient temperature is very important too. damn adelaide summer.

"Intel certified" cases now have two holes in the side panel, one with a shroud leading to the CPU fan. I've also read they are thinking of stock liquid cooling for the next generation...
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg sidepanel.JPG (9.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by fasad; 16-12-2004 at 01:15 AM.
fasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 01:40 AM   #21   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Wonder when they'll replace air with oil, and throw the entire computers in tubs of oil for cooling.
Old 16-12-2004, 01:52 AM   #22   [permalink]
fasad
Forum Addicted

i'd love to be rich enough to play with that idea. or just buy a bar fridge to house my case.

my brother just bought a AMD64 3500+, Asus A8N-SLI (2x PCIE) and 2 6600GT's !!! no corsair ram though : )
Old 16-12-2004, 02:34 PM   #23   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Yep ... I am thinking that watercooling will be the next "high performance" norm ... I am presently looking into Zalmans water cooling tower (which I am thinking will be placed strategically in the direct path of the room aircon haha)

Sam
Old 17-12-2004, 01:13 AM   #24   [permalink]
fasad
Forum Addicted

hmmmm... i've got the ram working stable now at 2,3,3,5. turning 2492mb/s. i have no idea why but this ran mt86 overnight and is stable. hopefully that is problem solved : )

on the sli mobo, the two video cards sit either side of the nb. given the load temp for the 6600GT can be over 75C, it could be an air cooling nightmare.
Old 17-12-2004, 03:02 AM   #25   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by fasad
hmmmm... i've got the ram working stable now at 2,3,3,5. turning 2492mb/s. i have no idea why but this ran mt86 overnight and is stable. hopefully that is problem solved : )

on the sli mobo, the two video cards sit either side of the nb. given the load temp for the 6600GT can be over 75C, it could be an air cooling nightmare.
75C!!!! Egads thats bordering on the "China Syndrome" ... thats got to be way to hot for norma temps?! ... and thats not even the 6800's ... which by rights should run hotter!

... whats the average room temp during the summer overthere?

Sam
Old 17-12-2004, 05:29 AM   #26   [permalink]
fasad
Forum Addicted

no science, but at the moment it must be close to 30 in here..i'm in boxers only and not comfortable. it's an old house, with no AC and it's even hotter outside.

dave's (brother) pc isn't running yet, the vid cards arrive on monday. i think i'll be taking him to the local wholesaler to look at big fanage.

in this review the msi 6600GT hit 110C at stock speed!! another hit 98C
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=19

looking around some other forums, 70+C doesn't look at all uncommon. nasty!
Old 18-12-2004, 03:38 AM   #27   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by fasad
no science, but at the moment it must be close to 30 in here..i'm in boxers only and not comfortable. it's an old house, with no AC and it's even hotter outside.

dave's (brother) pc isn't running yet, the vid cards arrive on monday. i think i'll be taking him to the local wholesaler to look at big fanage.

in this review the msi 6600GT hit 110C at stock speed!! another hit 98C
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=19

looking around some other forums, 70+C doesn't look at all uncommon. nasty!
This might sound a bit unconventional ... but in extreme instances of heat related problems ... I would take the side door off and have a floor fan blow directly into the case ... even at warmer room temps ... the sheer volume of air and the very strong focused air current helped to keep heat from building up to high ... it also minimizes the build up of hot spots due to "stagnant zones" of poor air circ.

... not pretty to be sure ... but IMO measurably more effective than conventional fan architecture in standard designs ... to be used perhaps as an interim solution ... until a more effective cooling solution is implemented? ... watercooling perhaps?

I am particularly impressed with Black & Deckers "Typhoon" fan ... due to blade design ... this fan is VERY quiet ... and yet pushes alot of air ... it also comes with a remote. ... and no, I don't work for B&D

Sam
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg B&D Typhoon.jpg (40.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 18-12-2004, 07:16 AM   #28   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Beware: Having no side-panel may seem like it helps, but it won't in the end when you have to bust the dust.

That was cheesy...
Old 18-12-2004, 07:33 AM   #29   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by GuGuEaTeR
Beware: Having no side-panel may seem like it helps, but it won't in the end when you have to bust the dust.

That was cheesy...
... actually, I have found the opposite to be true ... by exposing the system in this manner, it becomes quite apparent and visible when dust starts to accumulate ... its usually when the dust is "hidden" within a closed machine that it is forgotton and thus left to create a problem. i.e. out of sight ... out of mind ...
Old 18-12-2004, 07:38 AM   #30   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

There's a thing called thin-wire-mesh of sort, commonly known as filter. It's very useful.

That reminds me, I have to clean my filter on my case.