Old 17-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #1   [permalink]
Kawanua the Samurai
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kawanua the Samurai
Angry 200gb WD harddrive missing an arm and a leg...

Ok, It aint a big problem. I just thought I'd post this thread and get some other Computer knowledgable peoples opinions. Plus I'm really bored atm.

I bought a Western Digital 200gig HDD, hell over a month ago. Its acting as a slave drive mainly to store anime episodes.. ( sue me I have cable and constantly download lol!!! )

My master is exactly the same RPM and cache speed, cept its a 160gig HDD ( even that is lying bout it's size. Says its 149gig total space )

Now when i set it up, gave it a partition etc, so it gets seen as a HDD. I go in to "My Computer" and find its a 127gig harddrive... Now where on gods green earth has the 73gig gone!? Now I could easily slap in a 3rd hdd, quickly swing the files over to it temp. and re-work this bugger of a 200gig HDD. I just find it peculiar that 73gig has just gone poof into thin air. No operating system takes 73gigs of space, least... I don't think. oO. Now I'd tinker around with it myself but I been too busy working on my car, job, Uni, and also too damn lazy once i have free time to lunk my PC onto my work bench (kitchen table ) and start operating on its insides.

Any ideas why 73gigs doesnt wanna appear???

As long as the sun, the moon, and the earth exists. Everything will be alright.
Kawanua the Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #2   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Well a small part of that is the difference between a Gigabyte and a gibibyte.

A Gibibyte is 2^30 bytes and a Gigabyte is 10^9 bytes.

The other part is probably a bios issue. It seems to be common that some bios only detect 128GB. Why not just partition the drive into two 100GB sections?
Old 17-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #3   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

That's one thing, but according to documentation I had been reading when I got my newest hard drive, both your BIOS and your OS have to be capable of using drives larger than the 128GB. Theoretically, Windows 98 cannot recognize anything past the 128GB mark, so I made it a partition for my Windows XP to store stuff. Now the funny thing is, if I boot to Windows 98, I can fully access the partition past the 128GB boundary without any error at all.

So basically, check if your BIOS has an update on their website. Also, what OS do you use? The other thing is that storage media companies lie about numbers. For example, DVD-5 is always advertised as 4.7 GB, but it's actually only 4,700,000,000 bytes, which equates to 4.37 GB. And if most hard drive companies do the same lying (wouldn't surprise me), then after the overhead for the file system, you could definitely expect your big drive to be a lot smaller.
Old 17-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #4   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Originally Posted by raynebc
The other thing is that storage media companies lie about numbers. For example, DVD-5 is always advertised as 4.7 GB, but it's actually only 4,700,000,000 bytes, which equates to 4.37 GB. And if most hard drive companies do the same lying (wouldn't surprise me), then after the overhead for the file system, you could definitely expect your big drive to be a lot smaller.
This is what I was talking about with the Gb/GB thing. It isn't lying. It's just a popularized misconception. People think Gibibyte (1024 mebibytes) when companies are talking gigabytes(1000 megabytes). 4.7 gigabytes is 4,700,000,000 bytes. 4.7 gibibytes is 5,046,586,573 bytes. Pretty significant difference but also perfectly logical.

Edit: Math might be off...
Old 18-01-2006, 02:12 AM   #5   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

In practice though, I'm almost certain that Gb stands for gigabit, and GB stands for gigabyte, so what's the abbreviation for gibibyte?

In programming, I've always been taught 1024 bytes is a KB, and 1024 KB is a MB, what are the industry terms for 1000 bytes and 1000 Kilobytes?
Old 18-01-2006, 08:33 AM   #6   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Wikipedia entry with table of multiples of bytes

That's where I got my information originally. Considering the topic, I'm fairly certain wikipedia is reliable here.

A gigabit would be something like 160 megabytes, being that a byte is 8 bits.

Edit: And I've been using the wrong acronym for gibibyte. It should be GiB.
Old 18-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #7   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Yeah, that's like a splash of cold water in the face, everything I thought I knew has been a lie.. Oh well. Kb, Mb, Gb and so on are usually associated with data transfer (ie. ethernet).
Old 18-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #8   [permalink]
Kawanua the Samurai
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kawanua the Samurai
uh huh, i see. I use Windows XP Pro

Hmm i guess i will just partition it into 100 bits like cha's suggested. My gibibit etc doesnt really roll off the tongue does it

never really heard of that gibi and mebi stuff, so much computer stuff i havent learnt yet @.@

As long as the sun, the moon, and the earth exists. Everything will be alright.
Kawanua the Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2006, 02:00 AM   #9   [permalink]
umoa

Send a message via AIM to umoa
yea the byte thing really hit home, when i was talking to my friend in japan who has some kind of insane internet connection. here i am sitting at home with dsl getting stuff at 30mbs bits not bytes
umoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2006, 04:46 PM   #10   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

You mean 30Kbps, right? 30Mbps is really fast. If it's 30 Kbps, you're not paying for that crap are you? I wouldn't take an internet connection like that even if it was free.

Last edited by raynebc; 21-01-2006 at 05:01 PM.
raynebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 02:50 AM   #11   [permalink]
umoa

yea, i meant kbps, its actually running at 298kbps now still damn slow imo its dsl too!!! , im still a lil confused by all this since us is supposedly the only country which uses bits instead of bytes, too hi tec . gota switch to cable soon...

Last edited by umoa; 22-01-2006 at 02:59 AM.
Old 22-01-2006, 05:44 AM   #12   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

OK, hold on, are you getting 300KiloBYTES or KiloBITS per second? 300 Kilobytes is really good, and is about what I have with Broadband cable.
Old 23-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #13   [permalink]
umoa

pretty sure its bits.