Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #1   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Appeal Against a Warning

Dear Eva2k and Moderators,

It has come to my attention recently that I was given a warning in this manga thread here (http://www.animeboards.com/showthrea...#post537855187). First, I'd like to make it clear that I have great respect for Kawaii Miko, especially in light of the stellar moderating job she's been doing of late, and I am delighted that the mod team in general has been so active recently. For this, I fully acknowledge the time and effort the mods have put in despite their busy schedules. Really good stuff. Thus, it is clear I am not appealing for the sake of pursuing any vendetta or to cause trouble.

Rather, in this particular instance, I would like to appeal against the warning on a factual basis. Oppa's post, which was only two posts above mine, read:

Originally Posted by oppa
On a side note, there are plenty of shoujo manga I can recommend. There was like a year or year and a half where I was completely drawn into nothing but shoujo and went through many many MANY series'. Unfortunately, 80% of it was read simply because of my sudden fascination with shoujo and in retrospect, very formulaic and, for use of a better word, lame. I did, however, read some very good series'.
oppa here alludes to recommending Shoujo manga, and in addition, makes a light-hearted jab at the perceived low quality of Shoujo manga ("lame"). This then prompts Project_Akira to reply with this:

Originally Posted by Project_Akira
Please list shoujo manga that won't make a person who doesn't regularly read Shoujo want to gouge their eyes out.
This statement is entirely on topic and is a natural evolution of the thread conversation. Now, I subsequently came in with this statement, for which I was warned because it was perceived to be totally off-topic:

Originally Posted by Me
Please list Shoujo manga that won't make a normal person like me want to gouge their eyes out.
However, this statement is virtually the same as Project_Akira and as such is merely an on-topic response to oppa's post. In addition, it is not offensive in any way, because a) it is entirely uncontroversial to say that I am a normal person and b) the "gouge their eyes out" phrase is just a humourous way of expressing the wish for good Shoujo manga to be recommended, and furthermore, was exactly the same phrase Project_Akira used and is consistent with oppa's original labelling of most Shoujo manga as "lame".

In light of these considerations, I would therefore humbly request that my warning be re-considered and rescinded.

Your valuable time is much appreciated.

Yours faithfully,

J. F. (Lead Organiser of the ATMC 2009)
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 11-07-2009, 03:23 AM   #2   [permalink]
724496
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 5 Mar 2009
Posts: 38
I think this posts warrants a second warning.
724496 is offline  
Old 11-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #3   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member
 
Project Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 8,330
Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Call me crazy but I'd say it was for spamming. Like you said, you're pretty much reiterating the same thing another poster said. What's the point of saying the same thing twice no matter how differently phrased it is?
__________________
Quote:
If by high art you mean it's fun to smoke pot and look at Mike Mignola's art, I'm in total agreement.
- Tom Spurgeon (writer for the comics journal), on whether or not Mike Mignola's Hellboy is high art
Project Akira is offline  
Old 11-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #4   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by 724496 View Post
I think this posts warrants a second warning.
724496, you actually want to be given a second warning just for posting what you've just written? . Well, it's up to the mods, but I say if you want a second warning, then so be it.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
Call me crazy but I'd say it was for spamming. Like you said, you're pretty much reiterating the same thing another poster said. What's the point of saying the same thing twice no matter how differently phrased it is?
First, my reply was slightly different to yours: I was suggesting that oppa recommends manga which would appeal to people that not only do not regularly read Shoujo, but who do not regularly read manga (which is the average person).

Second, what's wrong with saying something again in a slightly altered form as a means of agreement? Is that against some sort of special rule in Project_Akira's official netiquette guide?

Call me crazy, but since AnimeBoards needs all the posts it can get, it's a bit rich for you to be complaining about people posting innocuous posts.

And since I'm actually addressing Eva2k and the mods in this thread, both you and 724496 shouldn't even be replying to this thread - i.e. you're both completely off-topic. If my warning stands, and we are to be consistent with the threshold of tolerance, then 724996 and Project_Akira should be given warnings for barging into this thread uninvited.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 11-07-2009 at 08:05 PM.
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #5   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member
 
Project Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 8,330
Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
I don't see how I am being off-topic by answering a question that you asked. Just because you want Eva and the mods to answer your question, this whole board is an open forum. There have been threads in the past where members have made specific requests to mods and Eva but non-admins entered it. You may want the mods to answer you and I'm sure they will but other members are bound to post in this thread too.

My point still stands. You repeated almost verbatim what I said. While you may have agreed with me, there was no point in posting the same statement. That's pretty much spamming which is more than likely what your warning was for if you look at the reason for why your post was edited.
__________________
Quote:
If by high art you mean it's fun to smoke pot and look at Mike Mignola's art, I'm in total agreement.
- Tom Spurgeon (writer for the comics journal), on whether or not Mike Mignola's Hellboy is high art
Project Akira is offline  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #6   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
I don't see how I am being off-topic by answering a question that you asked.
Technically, you are being off-topic since this topic is an appeal directed specifically at Eva2k and the mods in the Contact Admin/Moderators sub-forum. I made this abundantly clear in my first post, and this appeal is not the business of any other member. That's an objective fact and your subjective interpretations have no purchase at all.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
My point still stands. You repeated almost verbatim what I said. While you may have agreed with me, there was no point in posting the same statement.
Almost verbatim statement (not the "same" - stop contradicting and embarrassing yourself in the space of a single post) - it had a different meaning as I just explained in the first point of my previous post (did you even understand that point?). Whoops! There goes your whole argument. You're going to have to buy more straw and construct some other flimsy line of attack, although the price of straw has rocketed since you entered this thread.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
That's pretty much spamming which is more than likely what your warning was for if you look at the reason for why your post was edited.
Er, no I was not spamming because what I wrote had a different meaning to your post, although it was similar. Which part of that don't you understand? .

Last edited by John Faulkner; 11-07-2009 at 09:35 PM.
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 11-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #7   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Registered User
 
Pengi_Ken-Ohki's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 Sep 2000
Location: 0.0
Posts: 11,640
Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
While I dont think John contributed, I am also curious as to why Kawaii felt the need to step in. The few members still talking here are not exactly schoolgirls when it comes to rule following. I'd hate to think that John being a twat is the only reason he was treated this way.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #8   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki View Post
The few members still talking here are not exactly schoolgirls when it comes to rule following.
Other existing members often make spam posts in Members Only threads, but we hear nothing of it. Apparently, they all pass as humour or something. Part of the reason is that critics like 724496 and Project_Akira, when it comes to my posting activity, are about as biased as they come. Asking them to give a reasoned critique of my posts is like asking Mullah Mohammed Omar to give a reasoned critique of American culture.

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki View Post
I'd hate to think that John being a twat is the only reason he was treated this way.
You say that I am a "twat" as if that is some kind of objective fact. Here's the reality: I have made interesting threads and posts that have stimulated greater posting activity (I will post stunning new statistics to illustrate this soon ). For example, I have made a thread giving evidence on how Pokemon is more mature than Haruhi, and this led to a really in-depth discussion which established the non-trivial fact that Pokemon can actually be seen as more mature.

Pengi, unless you can justify that "twat" label, then I am extremely puzzled by your unprovoked antagonism. But don't worry, I'm sure my critics will toss aside the usual politically-correct standards they attempt to shackle me with and turn a blind eye .
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 13-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #9   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator
 
eva2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 Jun 2000
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 12,409
I'm sick right now so have no patience for silly behaviour.

No idea what the basis for Kawaii Miko's warning was. But this goes to everyone reading, forum rules http://animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=55531 are made for a purpose. Just think before you post, and be respectful of others opinions even if you don't agree with them. You folks maybe joking when you made certain statements, but clearly some folks are more sensitive than others, so please be sensible.

Get back to discussing anime guys
__________________
be afraid... Admin cap is back... !
eva2000 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Revolutionary New Evangelion Theories Thread (Warning Spoilers For Whole Series!) John Faulkner Evangelion Chit Chat 11 01-02-2005 08:47 PM
OMG wide ranged appeal. cloakactive Oh My Goddess 19 21-09-2002 11:25 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.