Old 03-12-2001, 03:13 PM   #1   [permalink]
Yui_Reborn
---------

Send a message via AIM to Yui_Reborn
What would YOUR ideal anime mag be like???

Since I've devoted a whole thread to complaining about Animerica, I figured there's no point in complaining if I can't suggest something better. So, I pose the question, if you could have the perfect anime magazine, what would be in it? How would this be different from what's currently on the market (animerica and um....animerica). Note this is different from the perfect anime website or web reviews site (there are several good ones out there, but I'm talking specifically about a print magazine.)

I would want:
-current information about new shows and movies in Japan, not just the franchises that happen to be popular in the United States at the moment.

-behind the scenes articles at dubbing studios (Animaze, Coastal Carolina, Industrial Smoke and Mirrors), companies that license and distribute anime (Bandai, Pioneer, Media Blasters, ADV, CPM, etc.), and hopefully some japanese animation houses as well.

-a serialized original manga that you can only get in the magazine (I like the way Animerica runs Galaxy Express 9999, but I'd rather just buy the manga seperately and have a cheaper mag. What's the point of serializing a manga already available elsewhere?)

-a foldout poster with every issue (Newtype does this, but American mags seem to do it sporadically.

-comprehensive, up to date reviews of new anime in stores (Animerica's reviews are often about three months behind.) These reviews should focus on what type of audience the anime will appeal to, and how well it accomplishes it's goals, rather than passing judgement on 'good and bad'.

-articles on different animation techniques, software vs. traditional animation. Hopefully something that teaches about HOW anime are made.

-Articles on how different anime express different themes, articles about different 'genres'; which anime are genre works, and which de-construct the genre.

-fandom articles about different communities in fanart, fandubbing, fanfics, and doujinshi (english and japanese).

-reviews and coverage of anime media (cds, video games, etc.)

NO:
-biased reviews that slam a series without addressing it's intended audience, even if only to say that they may or may not enjoy it.

-reviews that barely discuss the anime and take the opportunity to go off topic or discuss OTHER anime

-'features' on the new anime of the moment that basically run like an extended advertisement-if you want to do a feature on an anime, say something worth reading about it. Don't summarize the plot, mention a few of it's influences and call it an article.

-reviews of products that are only peripherally related to anime.

-extended columns and monologues that have nothing to do with anime (Animerica now runs one or two such columns that seem to be about the adventures of an American living in Japan. That's all it's about.)

I'm sure I'll think of more. whatcha think?????
Old 03-12-2001, 03:50 PM   #2   [permalink]
KamuiX
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to KamuiX Send a message via AIM to KamuiX
It's beautiful, Yui

The saddest part is, right now, with as big as anime is getting (err, has gotten) in the US, the market is starving for a new magazine with content and material this well setup. It'd totally own ...

I'd love to make a simulation of the layout ...

*long dreamy sigh*

AniHina.com | http://www.anihina.com
Myu! Myu!! (It's all about Love Hina!)
KamuiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 06:33 PM   #3   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

Hmm..., we can dream I suppose...,

How about special booklets dedicated to a particular anime, or genre of anime with each issue...? Both NewType, & Animage have these..., & the Sony AX Magazine comes with an anime DVD catalogue, & clips from the most recent shows...,

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 01:00 AM   #4   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
yeah that would be the magazine id have to get Yui_Reborn's Anime Mag!
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 01:52 AM   #5   [permalink]
Yui_Reborn
---------

That would probably be my dream job, writing for an anime magazine and/or drawing the serialized manga^_^. Well, you never know......

Hopefully when the English version of Newtype comes out, it will be somewhat like this......apparently the size of the market has been noticed by those in the position to do something about it. Unfortunately, I have no idea when it's coming out. All I know is, www.akadot.com has lessened it's output to about a third of what it used to be in order to work on the Newtype project. I'm kind of embarrassed about Akadot, I had sent them an e-mail asking if I could write articles for them (strictly for free), they said yes, and then they announced that they were pretty much stopping the site entirely to work on Newtype! If I'd started sending them articles anyway, there's a slight chance I could have gotten to do freelance for them. That's my life for you, squandered opportunities.

*This has been a glimpse into Yui's life, brought to you by self-pity inc*

ANYWAY..........those booklet thingies are cool. I got one in Animage magazine that had small pics of all the popular characters. They make good little collectables.
Old 07-12-2001, 12:00 PM   #6   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

You are lucky Yui_Reborn,here we have only one magazine(not an anime magazine) that has actual anime other than KCMC*.The only way to get a real anime magazine here is to suscribe wich costs way too much.And I'd also like your Magazine Yui_Reborn,it's really good

*Kids Controlling Monster Clones
Old 09-12-2001, 03:52 AM   #7   [permalink]
Yui_Reborn
---------

*blinking* Where are you from, Dlightz, when you have no Anime magazine??????????

It's weird, I get so used to talking to people online and off that are only from the US, then I go on AB and I remember that it's truly an international board. I can't remember the number of times I've posted something as if I assumed everyone was American. It's a bad habit
Old 09-12-2001, 01:46 PM   #8   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

By that I can assume you are american right Yui_Reborn?I come from Canada Quebec.

My hometown was a small city named Gatineau.But now there's been a fusion with some neighbouring cities to form a metropol(sp?) Wich should help our economy and hopefully have more mangas and actual anime magazines.

This christmas I'll be going to Montreal,the province's unofficial capital and I'll drop by a comic shop see if they got any real anime magazines.