Old 07-09-2002, 03:06 PM   #1   [permalink]
Page
Executive Member

Question Adventures of Mini-Godesses...

What the heck is wrong with Pioneer. No no let me start by praising them for bringing (even if not in it's truest sense) OMG to America and more into the mainstream. However I wish they would be more careful then to just slap it together and heave it out the door. Now I was a bit hesitant to get these DVDs since it's not truely OMG and more of a spin off that while a nice distraction could never replace the original. However I do have to admit the shows can be pretty funny (I don't know why but in episode 26 when Belldandy offered cheesecake to Marla and she refused Belldandy's expression when she say "but... it's good" made me laugh still don't know why... anyway).

Which brings me to my biggest gripe about the show. Now I understand since it's not true OMG the artistic license can be pretty broad however if you're gonna try and keep the basics at least get the names right guys . I mean Marla? Marla? Who the hell is Marla? Ohh you mean Mara the Demon, 1st Class, No Restrictions Mara... No, no, no they say Marla the Sorceress, 1st Class, No Restrictions. Who can't stop dancing when she hears RockN'Roll? and is afraid of cats? Now I thought it was disco music shouldn't couldn't stop dancing to and it was good luck charms she was allergic to? Hehe ohh well like I said I should be thankful it's even here right

I know this may seem petty but I know I'm not the only one who noticed this. Next though was the episode with Gan Chan and Urd with their little talk show thing going on. Anyway when Urd learns that all the postcards are from Gan Chan correct me if I'm wrong is she calling Gan Chan by another name or is that the location they were mailed from? Anyway how did you like them?

For great anime and Final Fantasy music videos check out http://www.october20.net
Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 04:44 PM   #2   [permalink]
Kawaii Miko
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Location: Aden, Aria Server, Lineage II, Laptop, Boudoir, Shidonii, Oosutaraiya
Send a message via ICQ to Kawaii Miko Send a message via AIM to Kawaii Miko Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Miko
I lurve Chibi Ah! Megami-sama. I even bought the strips as well!

In that episode where Gan-chan and Urd-sama are doing the talk show and so forth, her reaction is that her fan mail are ALL from Gan-chan and he admits that he is a big fan of Urd and she felt more then disappointed.

Favourite episodes include...

- Urd's MISfortune telling
- Gan-chan's weight watchers
- Gan-chan's adventures in the sky and space
- The Almighty rock group
- The air-conditioner with Himalayan proportions
- Gan-zilla (Urd as Commander of operations as Skuld acts as the soldiers and the innocent crowds)
- The One Ring...(cursed) <- And I' m not referring to the movie version mind you ^~
- Urd the babysitter
- Treasure attic (gotta lurve Skuld's nifty inventions )

All of the 48 episodes of Chibi Ah! Megami-sama kick ass! Wooooo!
Old 07-09-2002, 05:06 PM   #3   [permalink]
Page
Executive Member

How about when she reads what I assume was the name she wasn't saying Gan Chan she was saying err I left the movie at home... well I'll get back to you on what she said .

My favorites are...

1) When Gan Chan learns to fly thought it was funny when they packed up and mission control was in the sink.

2) The fortune teller one love it when Gan Chan get's mad that Urd keep doing the voice over for Ms. Kettle.

3) The one where Urd and Gan Chan were fishing I laughed when Belldandy asked when the fish was going to release Gan Chan don't know why guess because Bell is so naieve.

4) The baseball episode when everyone starts disappearing and Gan Chan was left all alone.

5) Skuld as the detective was cute as well Marla was funny in that one.

All in all it's pretty good and I have to thank someone on this board for recommending it so... Thanks

For great anime and Final Fantasy music videos check out http://www.october20.net
Old 07-09-2002, 06:36 PM   #4   [permalink]
Gunblade
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Gunblade Send a message via AIM to Gunblade
You're gonna have to check on the japanese version to understand why Urd calls Gan, Mitsuo Iwata... They call Gan, Gan but his name is also suppose to be Mitsuo Iwata who is also the actual VA for the japanese Gan, sort of a joke thing, which i can't really explain, or could but would take paragraphs of writing and you can't be bothered reading it, I can't be bothered writing it.
Same for "Marla", they say Mara but sounds like Marla hence why pioneer went for Marla in the sub and dub, and in the japanese the sub says that she's allergic to auspicious items... I guess that means lucky charms..
Gunblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 06:56 PM   #5   [permalink]
Page
Executive Member

Now you see that's interesting. I figured that Mitsuo Iwata was another name for Gan Chan however I don't get why they don't stay consistent. Same thing for Mara considering the name is Mara in the books it would make since if they just went with the phonetic name or at least pronounce the name Mara even if it sounds like Marla in Japanese. After all it's not unprecidented for names to sound different from language to another and considering it's to be translated into English I want to hear Mara by god .

Then the discrepencies of calling her a Sorceress 1st Class, Unrestricted. Then they seem to make a point to indicate that she is in fact a demon like they haven't forgot she's a demon but, they don't want to call her one or something by title.

Then later on Skuld refers to Marla's allergy to cats specifically which I too thought that auspicious items maybe just another way of saying superstitious, therefore lucky charms but that got killed right quick after Skuld actually says she's allergic to cats.

Then the Rock N' Roll and the dancing. Hehe I'm sorry Rock N' Roll is not Disco... (but I hear it's making a come back ) . At any rate show is great wish they'd quit switching things up on me.

Last edited by Page; 07-09-2002 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:53 PM   #6   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

From what I've read, the proper Romanji for Mara is "marler", hence why they might call her Marla when Pioneer dubbed it. It was just bad judgement on the part of their translators.
raynebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 05:54 AM   #7   [permalink]
DistMan
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to DistMan
I've seen 43 eps of it so far. Gotta watch the rest later on toda.,

They're funny. Gotta love the ep where Urd walks around all alone in the rain. No lines are said whatsoever but they say expressions can say more than words..
Old 08-09-2002, 11:01 AM   #8   [permalink]
Keiichi M

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi M
Are all the AoM-G episodes in English already?

And if they are, did Pioneer fit them into the 4 DVD's?

(Gan-Chan Files
Belldandy Files
Urd Files
Skuld Files)
Old 08-09-2002, 01:38 PM   #9   [permalink]
Gunblade
Executive Member

yes
Old 08-09-2002, 10:29 PM   #10   [permalink]
Keiichi M

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi M
O, so how many eps are on each DVD?
Old 09-09-2002, 03:08 PM   #11   [permalink]
Gunblade
Executive Member

Old 09-09-2002, 09:48 PM   #12   [permalink]
Page
Executive Member

Question There are only 4 right???

There are only 4 DVDs right?

Gan Chan Files
Belldandy Files
Urd Files
Skuld Files

So far I've gotten 3 of them want to make sure that I'm not missing one. Also does anyone know if any more are in the works? Since it seems the regular series is sort of on hiatus it's at least nice to know that at least some fragment of OMG is catching on.

Old 13-09-2002, 06:10 PM   #13   [permalink]
Page
Executive Member

Talking EUREKA...

I've figured it out. I now know who Mitsuo Iwata is... It's the name of the person who does Gan Chan's voice. So now I'm just not sure if the joke on episode 27 was meant to be an inside joke or a slip up.

Old 13-09-2002, 08:53 PM   #14   [permalink]
Gunblade
Executive Member

Inside joke
Old 13-09-2002, 08:59 PM   #15   [permalink]
Page
Executive Member

Well that's... just... just... silly.