Old 20-08-2017, 01:51 AM   #1   [permalink]
kennyglennart

Question Need some recommendations for newish anime

So, I grew up watching things like Akira, Fist of the North Star, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Neon Genesis.

Then I got out of it for awhile, but plunged back in when I discovered Cowboy Bebop and Spirited Away. I then discovered all of Studio Ghibli, Blood the last Vampire and Kai Doh Maru, Ruroni Kenshin. There is probably some more random stuff in there too, but those are the major ones.

So, now what? I haven't really followed anime outside of Ghibli for about 10-15 years. I saw "The Boy and the Beast" last year, and "Your Name" just now. I liked them quite a bit, but I don't know what modern stuff to check out. I am open to whatever really, just need to figure out what is happening these days. I tend to favor films over series, but am willing to check anything out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
kennyglennart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #2   [permalink]
ServantOfPriss

I really can't say I'm particularly fond of modern (or rather, this decade's) anime due to the general trend we're going through right now. There are a few diamonds in the rough, however.

Judging from your tastes, you like both science fiction and adventure, so I would recommend you check out Gundam Unicorn, since it has really good animation, a pretty solid story and a top-notch soundtrack. On a similar side, there's Heavy Object which, while having very awkward humor, it has high quality animation and a pretty nice artstyle, and it also approaches mecha combat in a pretty creative way (think a pair of McGyvers taking on them).
Majestic Prince was also a pretty good show, with the characters being its strongest point. It is also one of the rare examples of good CGI in anime.
ServantOfPriss is offline   Reply With Quote