Old 29-05-2001, 04:27 PM   #16   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Neojin
I think hes asking WHO if i'm not mistaken...

Driz seems like a guy who knows how

I build mine. The main reason I started getting into computers is for the simple factor of price, and I realized how much money you save by buying warehouse direct and building yourself.

I've built an entire 1.2 gig Athlon system for around 900 (not including monitor) when from a dealer the same system would have cost me around 1500.
Ahh.... Gomen Kudasai! I should have known better, I thought the syntax was a bit odd for Drizz...

SamIam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2001, 04:17 AM   #17   [permalink]
Torkm
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Torkm Send a message via AIM to Torkm
It is fun building a computer from scratch.

When I made my old one, I learnt so much from building it.

Isn't Klonoa CUTE!
:smash:The Smashing Duo! - I'm not a doll and Torkm - Watch out or be Smashed!:smash:
Torkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2001, 08:25 AM   #18   [permalink]
jetalone
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to jetalone Send a message via AIM to jetalone
*looks at hands*...Nope...no scars..
*looks at foot*...Oh, there's a story..

Ok, got a new CPU fan....the nearest tables were full of assorted junk, so I figured I'd rest the case on my lap...It wouldn't take too long...

Um, so I installed the fan, and I leaned over to get a sip of my drink. My mum then alerted me to something...I can't remember what it was, but it caused me to stand up, thus allowing my case to tumble down my leg, onto my foot, and crash to the tiled floor.

It still works, though!
"Ben touched me very lightly on the shoulder, looked me in the eyes and said, 'What's up?' I said, 'Uh, not much.' Then his hand went down my back a little- more than I was comfortable with. He invited me over to watch movies- I thought. He started, basically, rubbing himself down with baby oil. I was really shocked, I didn't know what to do about it. So, I called up Robert...The rest is history."
-Darren Jessee

P.S. That's Ben Folds, to save me any embarrassment. :heh:

jetalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2001, 02:15 PM   #19   [permalink]
Torkm
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Torkm Send a message via AIM to Torkm
Ouch jetalone!

I also had a case fall on me. But it was my hand..

I had my case, full of componants on my desk. I had to move it out the way for a few minutes as I needed some room on my desk. I placed it ontop of a stack of text books. The next thing I knew, it had fallen on my hand.

God that was painful! It hurt for like 2 weeks..

Isn't Klonoa CUTE!
:smash:The Smashing Duo! - I'm not a doll and Torkm - Watch out or be Smashed!:smash:

Last edited by Torkm; 30-05-2001 at 02:16 PM.
Torkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2001, 12:40 PM   #20   [permalink]
Forsteen

First things first. The first question you should ask yourself is what type of computer are you building. A gaming one or a heavy 2d graphics programs like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc, etc.

If is a gaming machine you want stick with Windows 98 even though it isn't as stable as 2000. 98 is a better platform for gaming.

Windows 95---> Windows 98

Windows NT ---> Windows 2000 ---> Windows XP

Windows XP and its predessesors are mainly for business use.

Next you should always have a good amount of RAM. 128 is good.

CPU. Get either Intel or AMD. Both are good brands. You can get the 1.7 Gig Intel for about $100 more than the 1.4 Gig AMD one. I go would go for the latter. Cheaper and plus I'm an AMD fan.

Video card. Get a good gaming card that supports 3d/2d graphics. If you want strictly 2d that is best with programs like PhotoShop get the Maxtrox brand.

If you are gonna get a CD burner and a DVD player, I suggest get them as separate components. If it breaks you are SOL. Plus separate units don't have to sacrafice quality for space.

DVD Encoder card. You don't have to have one, but it helps. I use the Hollywood plus and what it does is it takes away most of the processing power away from your processor. This helps in two ways. One, your processor won't have to work as hard. Work harder=heat=not a good thing. And two if you are running other apps it won't interfere.

Audio card. I have the Aureal Au8830 sound card that supports surround sound. Good card for the money.

One mental note. The ASUS A7V 133 mobo (motherboard). It is a larger motherboard than usual. I have my dvd player sticking out of my case because the dvd player would hit the mobo. Bad thing, but the mobo is an excellent one.

It is a good thing to have three fans within the case. Two of them are a gimme. One on the processor and the one near the power supply. Have another one near the front othe case to let air in. That way you have free air flow going through the case. Keep all wires out of the way as much as possible to get good air flow. Bundle them if you have to.

This is just my 2 cents.

Law of Probable Dispersal
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.
Forsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2001, 12:31 PM   #21   [permalink]
omae o korosu
Forum Junkie

are you sure about that winxp being a network os thing? i coulda sworn they said it was a "multimedia os" (or something to that effect). everything is a phreakin' wizard in that os. I HATE IT!
"i am yet, another resource consuming child in an over populated planet, raised to an alarming extent by madison avenue and hollywood, and poised with my cynical and alienated friends to take over the world when your old and weak!"
-- calvin

proud member of the R-O-C-K-T-H-E-M-U-L-L-E-T club. is this still going on?
omae o korosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2001, 03:08 PM   #22   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
I don't know much about XP...but I think it's supposed to be the final convergence of the Windows (insert date here) Family and the NT-based family...combining the ease and variety of the consumer OSes with the power, stability, and security of the business OSes. Of course, that's just watered-down MS hype from me to you, but I don't think it's limited to be a Network OS at all. There'll certainly be network-centric flavors of XP...
Old 20-06-2001, 04:03 PM   #23   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
.. I think WinXP is to be seperated in two parts...

WinXP Professional --> The more Win2k like edition it's supposed to have a conciderable game support though..

WinXP Home Edition --> I guess a more cheap downgraded for home use edition...
Old 21-06-2001, 01:20 AM   #24   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

All I know is that I'm running 2k right now for the first time and am lovin' it. That computer I was blathering about in the other thread? 850 T'Bird w/256MB RAM, GeForce 2 GTS... SETI@Home units will fear me from here on.
Old 21-06-2001, 07:06 AM   #25   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
btw, how does seti works? I have a computer 24/7 online and have enough bandwidth and processor time. I just on the occasion download something and watch an anime on my pc, not much processor power is used, I would like to no more. In the Netherland we have a project running which is still calculating whats the longest prime number up till now.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2001, 05:27 PM   #26   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

SETI@Home is an application that runs in the background. It consumes little memory, but will dominate your proc if nothing else is running. It's a thirsty floating-point proggie that also doubles as a screen saver when away from your desk. It is available in GUI and command-line versions for nearly every major and minor OS. It downloads a 320KB work unit from the central server and crunches it for however many hours it takes, usually between 10 and 30. After it's done, it sends the results back and downloads another. You can have it set to do that automatically, or wait for you to give it the O-K.
Old 22-06-2001, 01:17 PM   #27   [permalink]
kakerjak
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to kakerjak Send a message via AIM to kakerjak
jsut thought i'd say that I love playing inside computers too much to be able to buy one of them prebuilt things.. gimme the pieces and i shall build it! as I did with the one i have.. and anyways, i find it comes out cheaper building it yourself and you're more sure of whats been put in it. too many computer stores screw with their clients.(at least the ones around here do)
kakerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2001, 12:44 AM   #28   [permalink]
Instrumentality
Banned

True, my Win2000 system was formatted with FAT32...
Instrumentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2001, 01:37 AM   #29   [permalink]
kaji
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to kaji
are you talking about building a comp from complete scrach, ie. make the mobo urself with a guide or buying mobo's, cpu's and cards and pluggin them in instead of making THE cards...
kaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2001, 10:46 AM   #30   [permalink]
928GTS
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to 928GTS Send a message via AIM to 928GTS
I say we go out and bomb Comcrap(Compaq)because they NEVER have made a SINGLE gaming PC,And then bomb Gateway...The list goes on
928GTS is offline   Reply With Quote