Old 20-05-2001, 04:05 PM   #1   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Your suggestions on my new system...

Hey folks. Yes, it is time to retire my Dell. The PII 350 w/96MB RAM has served it's purpose for long enough. I just got a $1,000 loan and am gettin' ready to spend it on computer parts. So, with that as my limit and without further adeiu:

Abit KT7A w/FSB of 266 (no RAID)
AMB 850 T'bird
128MB PC133 CAS-2 RAM
IBM 40gig 7200 RPM
Pioneer 16x DVD
Soundblaster Live! value
PowerColor GeForce 2 MX 32MB
Win2k
generic CPU fan and case
300W power supply

Total: $993.00

First off, I am not a gamer, CAD guy, or Photoshop user. I need a computer that I can be proud of that will let me do my audio production, HTML editing, posting, and SETI. The only things I might change would be the videocard to something with TV-out (possibly a Matrox 450). I am not overclocking anything. Suggestions? Hints? Flames?
Old 20-05-2001, 09:08 PM   #2   [permalink]
928GTS
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to 928GTS Send a message via AIM to 928GTS
Yeah ditch the MX its a crappy card,lousy memory bandwidth
928GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2001, 01:53 AM   #3   [permalink]
Sakuya
Executive Member

Yeah get rid of the Geforce MX, maybe get yourself a 4MB Matrox Millenium and an 8MB Orchid Righteous Voodoo 2.

Anyway.. you might want to consider a Kyro II as opposed to the Geforce MX. Hercules has a nice Kyro II model with TV out.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2001, 02:50 AM   #4   [permalink]
jetalone
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to jetalone Send a message via AIM to jetalone
i'm in agreement with sakuya...the Hercules 3D prophet 4500 will do you wonders for not much more $$$ than the MX. The rest of the system seems to be suitable for your purposes.
"Ben touched me very lightly on the shoulder, looked me in the eyes and said, 'What's up?' I said, 'Uh, not much.' Then his hand went down my back a little- more than I was comfortable with. He invited me over to watch movies- I thought. He started, basically, rubbing himself down with baby oil. I was really shocked, I didn't know what to do about it. So, I called up Robert...The rest is history."
-Darren Jessee

P.S. That's Ben Folds, to save me any embarrassment. :heh:

jetalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2001, 07:20 AM   #5   [permalink]
Ura
Forum Master

I'd go for a 256 meg Stick of ram, get a good brand too like Kingmax. Seems pretty good. I'm going to the 1.2 gig Tbird soon, if I can stop buying so many DVDs
Ura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2001, 07:30 AM   #6   [permalink]
StramiT
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to StramiT Send a message via AIM to StramiT
Go 256 meg of ram and a kyoto II I say.

win2k eats ram like a whore eats........ lets no go there shall we...
StramiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2001, 08:21 AM   #7   [permalink]
bloodgod
Forum Master

U might wanna go P3 since U arn't a gamer
bloodgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2001, 08:46 AM   #8   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
... Your comp'd be awfully similar to mine with that stuff... (I got a slower processor and 3d card..)

Since your not a gamer you could easily do with a slower (and cheaper 3d card), and you'll need more ram (my comp keeps lagging with the 128 I got)...
You could also concider waiting a bit and get WindowsXp Professional instead of Win2k..
Old 21-05-2001, 09:35 AM   #9   [permalink]
Neojin
Forum Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Neojin Send a message via AIM to Neojin
XP is suposed to be completly 98/ME compatible as far as drivers go...So I also agree holding out some. Agree Sakuya, go Prophet GTS or Ultra prices are droping like mad, as long as you get 64mb on that card instead of 32, because that makes a huge difference.

And the 256 is a good Idea. I'm not sure how much that Hard Drive is settin you back...but IMO the IBM, although great hard drives are way over priced. Best Buy has been running the 30gig HDs by Western Digital for 99 bucks, and I've never had a prob with mine.

Another question? Why a 850? I mean really...if you are building a system to last you why not spend another 50 bucks and get a 1.1 or 1.2 even.
Old 21-05-2001, 10:49 AM   #10   [permalink]
divide-zero
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to divide-zero
I heard that the martrox is the best non-gaming and CAD graphics card that is affordable, but its' next to useless for games, so don't get one unless your not going to be playing any games ever. You could get high end oxygen 3D for about $5000 but that's not heapful.

Lots of RAM is good for CAD and Photoshop so get 256mb at least. It's bad when you try to run Photoshop 3DSMax and Visual Studio all at the same time with only 128mb and 400mb swap file, you computer tends to fall over. 128 is all you need for gaming though but but a lot of powerful apps are resource hungery.

And a p3 would probably be better, but also more costly.
That system you were thinking about looks good for games more that apps.

Win2k should be good for a new system, there should be drivers for all new hardware and it's generally great. I would use it but I have driver problems and game don't like it that much.
Old 21-05-2001, 12:04 PM   #11   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Thanks for the replies, people.

Says bloodgod:
U might wanna go P3 since U arn't a gamer

Price-by-price, I'd prefer Athlons over Intel. I personally believe that after a point, I'd rather go with the cheaper chip. I'm not interested in Celerons or Durons, either.

Neojin and Nulani suggest WinXP...
I dunno. How much weight do you put in the rumors/accusations of MS's subscription licensing plan? Isn't XP supposed to be included in that? What are the serious pros/cons with 2k and XP? I'd also rather have an OS from Microsoft that's been out in the field and has a service pack for it...that'd mean waiting even longer for XP.

A single stick of 256 seems the way to go...Kingston, Crucial, or what? Reliability is more important than raw speed. And I'm not doing graphics- or processor-intensive work. I want something that'll keep me running for at least two years, something upgradeable...which is why I picked the 850...I'll have a whole slew of procs to choose from if I get tired with it.
Old 21-05-2001, 12:04 PM   #12   [permalink]
omae o korosu
Forum Junkie

i'm not seein' a MODEM in that set-up...

well anyhoo, why win2k? its suppose to be a network os. ME is supposed to be the non-network version of 2k. personally, i think both suck.

oh yeah, at some point in time, you will probably need a cd burner.
"i am yet, another resource consuming child in an over populated planet, raised to an alarming extent by madison avenue and hollywood, and poised with my cynical and alienated friends to take over the world when your old and weak!"
-- calvin

proud member of the R-O-C-K-T-H-E-M-U-L-L-E-T club. is this still going on?
omae o korosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2001, 08:04 PM   #13   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Ah, who needs a modem when you have 2 NICs to choose from and a DSL line?

I have a Plextor 8/4/32x burner...but probably by this time next year something newer wil be in it's place.

Why 2k? I've heard it's more stable. That's mainly it. I haven't actually used Me (I used a 2k notebook a while back at a job)...I'd just prefer something not as consumer bloat-oriented. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 22-05-2001, 01:27 AM   #14   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Nice system!...

Very similar to the layout of the one I just put together...

Although, I would recommend a faster processor... a 1.3 T-bird recently had a price drop to about 230$ ... and I would go with a tad bit more ram... say at least 256 megs... oh and look over your CPU fan... AMDS run hot... a few dollars more for a good fan would be worth it...
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2001, 01:42 AM   #15   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

If you can point me to a site that'll get me the parts you suggested all in one fell swoop for under $1,000...I'll do it.

What I'm looking at right now, where the parts I've listed have come from, is Monarch Computer.

The fan is a weak point. I've heard that the Abit KT7 boards are space-limited when it comes to the area around the CPU...and hooking up something like a Golden Orb might require some modification ofthe fins or something. Please dispel this for me if it is a myth.