Old 22-05-2001, 02:05 AM   #16   [permalink]
Sakuya
Executive Member

Actually it's no myth, the thing is with CPU orb heat sinks, due to their circular design they're actually slightly larger than with a regular square-ish heat sink. Since that is the case with the Abit KT7's there a row of capacitors that sit just below the area of where you place the heat sink and with the orbs it hits that row of capacitors.

It's just a minor problem, it's just more difficult to clip on the orb with the Abit KT7, you can tilt the capacitors slightly to give you a little more room, of course keep in mind if you snap any parts off a motherboard you can pretty much consider it as a door stop, a very large door stop.

If you want alternative heat sinks you might want to consider the Global Win FOP38. The orbs are pretty cool design, I had one to begin with on my Athlon then I switched to a Global Win, awesome heat sink

I also would reccomend the Thermal Take Volcano II as another alternative.

Here are some links for ya to keep your heat sink shopping open :-

Global Win :-
http://www.globalwin.com.tw

Just Cooler :-
http://www.justcooler.com.tw

Thermal Take :- (Guys who do the orbs and other heatsinks)
http://www.thermaltake.com/
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2001, 04:32 AM   #17   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Drizzten
If you can point me to a site that'll get me the parts you suggested all in one fell swoop for under $1,000...I'll do it.

What I'm looking at right now, where the parts I've listed have come from, is Monarch Computer.

The fan is a weak point. I've heard that the Abit KT7 boards are space-limited when it comes to the area around the CPU...and hooking up something like a Golden Orb might require some modification ofthe fins or something. Please dispel this for me if it is a myth.
Well Drizzten... it's hard for me to do a direct comparison, because... your components are not priced... but as to what I said, you can compare with your notes... I shop fairly often at www. computergate.com and I just looked at CPU prices as a reference point... the had a 900 megahertz T-bird for about 130$
and the 1. 3 for 200$! .... thats 66$ less than my 1.2 about a mouth and a half ago... oh well... and as for fans... I recomend the Majesty Twins Cooler model PM TB BX2 check these specs...

Twin fans...
Ball Bearing construction
8.1 CFM per minute
less than 26 dBA noise
50,000 hours MTBF
Heavy duty block aluminum construction

... and it was cheap!... something like 20$ or less...

I would say, check out the site, to see if it matches favorably to the pricing of the components that you have laid out.

SamIam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2001, 04:52 AM   #18   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

...one caveat... the fan I posted.. is rated up to 1.2 gigahertz ... but if you coupled it with a 1.2 T-bird for about 160$ hmmmmm

One thing to consider... if you are planning on mainstream IDE, a faster processer would have a positive effect on throughput...

... I've tried 900 vs. 1.2 and everything else being roughly equal... the performace is noticable.... but then you will have to realistically assess whether the added performance will be needed.

SamIam
Old 22-05-2001, 03:10 PM   #19   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
Quote:
Originally posted by omae o korosu

well anyhoo, why win2k? its suppose to be a network os. ME is supposed to be the non-network version of 2k. personally, i think both suck.
For his use I think Win2k would be best, it's better online, got more functions *cought*The taskmanager*cought*...
Unless Linux is an option Win2k would be best... Me swallows too much resources and gives too little back...
Old 30-05-2001, 09:58 PM   #20   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
YAY!

Code:
Full Tower ATX Case w/ 300 PS		$108.00
ABIT KT7A 266 FSB				$134.00
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 850 MHz		$94.00
256 MB PC133				$69.00
IBM 40 GB 7200				$159.00
Pioneer 16x DVD with 40x CD-Rom		$89.00
1.44MB 3.5 inch Floppy Drive		$14.00
Creative SoundBlaster Live Value PCI		$49.00
Asus V7700 32 Meg GeForce Deluxe		$179.00
Windows 2000/NT 5 Pro			$159.00
Tai-Sol CEK733092 CPU Cooling Fan		$20.00
Tack on $95.05 in software and shipping and the total comes to $1,173.05

Should be here by mid next week.
Old 11-06-2001, 08:32 PM   #21   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
That Asus V7700 you listed is a GTS not a MX, with TV and DVI connectors I think. I know cause I have a V7100 TV, thats the MX version.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 09:48 PM   #22   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Yeah, this is the one that comes with the headset goggles...

It should be here before the weekend. My debit card gave them some trouble, so last weekend was wasted as we traded voicemail messages back and forth.

Time to get a new monitor...thinking about a 19"...and I'd rather not spend more than $450...any brands that stand out to you guys?
Old 12-06-2001, 02:37 PM   #23   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

LG is a good and relative cheap monitors manufacturer, you could go for the Sony. Iiyama is one of the better brand, NEC make these really good looking flat monitors.
Old 12-06-2001, 03:31 PM   #24   [permalink]
Morbius
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Morbius Send a message via Yahoo to Morbius
Congrats.... Looks like you're going to have a pretty sweet machine soon... I hate looking at computer prices now because my computer is selling for about 2/3 of what I paid for it a year ago... It'll be obsolete in a few months and I'll have to put myself into debt again to upgrade...
Old 12-06-2001, 03:39 PM   #25   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Morbius you don't have to go with the flow, just take it slow. I have bought my computer two years ago and it still works fine, with some minor adjustment every now and then isn't going to cost you a lot of money. As experience go, your computer should atleast last three years until its becomes obsolete to the current standard. I only need to upgrade my P3 450 in a few months, sure it still work fine and I can run win2K on it without a problem and lately I am not into games anymore, so there is no need to unnecessary spend money on excessive power.
Old 13-06-2001, 02:56 AM   #26   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Thanks for the tips, Titan.

Yeah, I'm upgrading now for several reasons.

1) My machine will be able to easily handle anything I throw at it. As I said, I'm not doing anything really proc-, I/O-, or memory-intensive except music production.
2) I'll have a clear and wide upgrade path for the future. Think how many different AMD procs I could stick on this motherboard!
3) It's friggin cheap these days.
4) I'd like a strong system in full working condition before hardware manufacturers (and the MPAA and RIAA) and Microsoft start getting together on intellectual property rights management standards. One reason why I want Win2k and not XP.
Old 13-06-2001, 03:33 AM   #27   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Monitors...

Well, I can recommend KDS and CTX as "bang for your buck" monitors. A friend of mine who has had top brand monitors(high end NEC) had a hard time justifying the price difference of his new KDS 19 in monitor. I feel the same about the CTX mid range model... about the only thing you probably would not want to do on these monitors is exacting architectural renderings ... (there is a very modest amount of "barreling towards the edges. It is very slight, and found in all but the most expensive corrected monitors.

These monitors are a very good value, I am using a 21 inch NEC 6fgp at work (top of the line a few years ago)... and my present 19 compares favorably to it for about 1/5 the price!

With that said, now the price... about a year ago, I bought my CTX 19 in from Sams Club on sale... for about $330!... Recently, I saw a very similar model for about 260 after rebates)... and this is in HAWAII. I feel confident, that in Texas, the prices would be even lower!

Hope this helps...

SamIam
Old 13-06-2001, 01:38 PM   #28   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Yeah, I've lived in Hawaii...even the damn bread was expensive...

Looks like http://www.pricewatch.com is showing 19"ers for under $200...
Old 13-06-2001, 08:48 PM   #29   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Drizzten
Yeah, I've lived in Hawaii...even the damn bread was expensive...

Looks like http://www.pricewatch.com is showing 19"ers for under $200...
You haven't seen expensive until you get out of the US, in my country you would have to paid atleast 50 dollar more than what you paid for your components. Prices here might as well sometimes be double or tripple the prices in the US. I saw that price watch monitor listing for 19 inch and I almost fall from my chair in shock. That NEC 19inch listed there as $239,- would set me back at around $600,- no kidding.
http://www.tweakers.net/pricewatch/cat/6
for reference a dollar is about 2,50 dutch guldens, you can always looked it up for most current prices. The price that you see are where you can buy it cheapest in the Netherland.
Old 01-07-2001, 03:52 AM   #30   [permalink]
3rd Child
Forum Addicted

I'd have gonne for 800 duron. It would have been cheaper than 850 tb. The extra cash would have been used for water-cooling system ( < 80$). The overall system would have been quieter and it probably could have been oc'd to 1g...

And I'd go for a MX with tv-out etc, since I've had positive experiences from them.

Nightwish - A return to the sea
3rd Child is offline   Reply With Quote