Old 14-06-2001, 09:39 AM   #1   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Win2k problem

I don't know what the cause of this, I never had trouble with win2k, but lately explorer keep crashing on me, then win2k keep generating annoying log files. Win2k suddenly shutdown my whole system and start to reset, could this be because of my new HD(IBM deskstar 61,4 GB, 7200rpm and 2mb buffer). Maybe too much heat build up, since I have two hd in my system and Gforce2mx. If this help whenever it reset the win2k starts a checkup and files get crosslinked.

Last edited by Takahashi; 14-06-2001 at 09:43 AM.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2001, 09:48 AM   #2   [permalink]
Ura
Forum Master

hmmm. Maybe you have a bad sector on your HDD, I take it Win2k is on the older drive. Run a thorough Scandisk on it. sounds like your installs gotten a bit corrupt. You running SP2? If worst comes to worst do a full reinstall. That'll fix it.
Ura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2001, 01:34 AM   #3   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ura
hmmm. Maybe you have a bad sector on your HDD, I take it Win2k is on the older drive. Run a thorough Scandisk on it. sounds like your installs gotten a bit corrupt. You running SP2? If worst comes to worst do a full reinstall. That'll fix it.
I aggree... in fact, I would suggest that you use your newer (and faster?) HD as your primary os drive and partition it for more useful and secure storage allocation. Reformat the older drive and use that as a data only drive... and as for excessive heat build up from two HDD's that would seem unlikely, unless air flow is really restricted... with normal cooling stratagies, two HDD's should be fine.

SamIam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2001, 11:45 AM   #4   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Cooling startegy is putting one way at the bottom, then a 1,44 mb drive and then the new HD, btw I have win2k on the new hd and ME running on the older one(its dualboot). Each time MS brought out a new sp, I immediately download it and install it, but it still doesn't seem to help. What my system is currently is in is a deluxe miditower, low noise. I am going to buy a new fulltower, so I can place coolers between the HD. As I stated before this problem never happens in my older configuration, meaning without the HD en without the winME, also my network card was put on non active(3Com C905-tx or something like that), now its back on again cause I just got cable internet a month ago. These are the major changes.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2001, 11:55 AM   #5   [permalink]
928GTS
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to 928GTS Send a message via AIM to 928GTS
Yeah youll want a Swifttech MC462-A onm the CPU,A 12omm out the back a Just Cooler TT-900 in your bays an Slot cooler out the lower baxk,a CardCooler cooling your vid card,80mmon the front,bottom suckin it in then a few 60 mm on the top
928GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2001, 04:28 PM   #6   [permalink]
3rd Child
Forum Addicted

Open your case and leave it that way. This could help.

Nightwish - A return to the sea
3rd Child is offline   Reply With Quote