Old 30-03-2003, 12:21 AM   #16   [permalink]
Foxxe
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Foxxe
I think you better spend more time with backgrounds because they really bring out your drawings!
Foxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2003, 08:13 AM   #17   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Re: Character w/sketchy background

Quote:
Originally posted by Yui_Reborn
Lately I've been putting in little sketchy backgrounds as opposed to no backgrounds, I think they add depth and make the character pop out. However, they are much less time consuming (and boring!) then giving every pic some huge elaborate background.

What do you think of this tecnique? The downside of it is that it can look messy, C&C.

I really like your technique in regards to facial structure ... the detail and expression shows that significant effort went into the head and neck. What I would suggest though, is to work a bit more on establishing the correctness of the pose first (in regards to anatomy and "naturalness" of the body position).

... once this is locked in, the detailing should become easier and more consistent. IMO, there is nothing more irritating that "jumping the gun" by detailing a scene that has problems yet to be worked out.

Personally, I find that reviewing a mental checklist helps to speed up the process while minimizing fundemental errors...

Checklist:

1. What is the scene intent?

2. Mechanics of the scene ...
...Point of view
...Lighting
...Props
...Pose(s)
...Style
...Ultimate destination (where will it be used?)

3. Timeframe for completion

SamIam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2003, 02:15 PM   #18   [permalink]
Yui_Reborn
---------

Send a message via AIM to Yui_Reborn
Yeah, one of my biggest problems is I tend to jump in and start detailing before the pose and the background are properly sketched out. It's something I'm working on, but I do wonder if there's a certain balance between 'correctness' and 'fun/practice': I do use the kind of checklist that you propose when I'm doing an image that I know I'm going to color, or use for something important, but as far as sketches go, I think it's okay to turn your critical eye off for a little while and just have fun. This is when the best ideas tend to come out, and even if the anatomy ends up a little bit messed up, you can always turn the idea into a more refined drawing later.

Anyway, I want to do some more 'complete' drawings using the method you've described soon, because I'd actually like to have some really strong drawings to CG. I'll post the results sometimes soon

Thanks for your advice!
Old 31-03-2003, 02:03 AM   #19   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Yui_Reborn
... but I do wonder if there's a certain balance between 'correctness' and 'fun/practice': I do use the kind of checklist that you propose when I'm doing an image that I know I'm going to color, or use for something important, but as far as sketches go, I think it's okay to turn your critical eye off for a little while and just have fun. This is when the best ideas tend to come out, and even if the anatomy ends up a little bit messed up, you can always turn the idea into a more refined drawing later.

Thanks for your advice!
You are quite right there, there should be a balance between a serious and premeditated work of art and the "doodle" or whimsical sketch ... the free flowing and unrestricted nature of these periods of graphic creativity do seem to produce good ideas.

A trick I use to promote the "best of both worlds" is to use a series of pencils that start with the lightest lead to go "free form" for sheer creativity to create a number of impromptu images or imagery ... then I would progressively work up to a "middling" lead pencil to begin the fleshing out of a promising sketch ... and finally either use the darkest lead or scan the image for data manipulation.

This technique allows me the ability to do relatively clean revisions on the fly without damaging the paper (or making a mess hahah).

SamIam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote