Old 29-03-2003, 01:51 AM   #1   [permalink]
Yui_Reborn
---------

Send a message via AIM to Yui_Reborn
If you think about it, the male anatomy makes no sense...

Sorry for the large amount of posts in the last few days guys, I guess I'm kind of making up for lost time

Anyway, I've always been more comfortable drawing women then men, and while I think I've improved at drawing the latter lately, I still have some major "issues", shall we say. I was trying to draw on of my male characters sitting down in this kind of curled-up position, and it really wasn't working so I just made it really rough and didn't really finish it. However, there is something I like about the idea of it, so I think I might take any C&C you may have to heart and try it again:

Oh and to all you guys out there, I just want you to know that I don't think that your anatomy makes much sense. See, that's why I can't draw men, because you're inherently poorly designed, not because I suck or anything!

*disclaimer: this has been a joke. Please do not flame Yui*

Last edited by Yui_Reborn; 29-03-2003 at 02:13 AM.
Yui_Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2003, 06:09 AM   #2   [permalink]
Fairybane
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fairybane
The male body makes plenty of sense...very unadorned and logical I think. Men don't have big boobies which definitely complicate a picture (since then you have to start thinking about physics and accurate dynamic portrayal, bla bla). And women have much more graceful bodies, full of curves which if you screw them up, looks absolutely horrible. Men are all hard lines which is easy peasy.

It's funny, almost all the female artists I know can draw the female form just fine, but have trouble with men. Not vice versa with guys though, who tend to draw nothing BUT big breasted girls and neglect drawing men.

C&C: His head and neck is too big, left leg should be longer, and give those legs some muscle mass while you're at it ^_^
Nice job anyway though, lord knows I always fail fantastically whenever I try drawing fetal positions or anything like that.
Fairybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2003, 02:15 PM   #3   [permalink]
SenshiNaka
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to SenshiNaka Send a message via Yahoo to SenshiNaka
Quote:
Originally posted by Fairybane
The male body makes plenty of sense...very unadorned and logical I think. Men don't have big boobies which definitely complicate a picture (since then you have to start thinking about physics and accurate dynamic portrayal, bla bla). And women have much more graceful bodies, full of curves which if you screw them up, looks absolutely horrible. Men are all hard lines which is easy peasy.

It's funny, almost all the female artists I know can draw the female form just fine, but have trouble with men. Not vice versa with guys though, who tend to draw nothing BUT big breasted girls and neglect drawing men...
Ill second that..

C&C

I like the pic but i think it looks too rough and i cant really make out the detail...
SenshiNaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2003, 11:48 PM   #4   [permalink]
Foxxe
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Foxxe
I dunno. I'm okay with drawing guys. It's the girls that are a complete mystery. (in more ways than one) That softness lacks consistency when positions change. Argh. Maybe I'm just terrible.
Foxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2003, 02:23 PM   #5   [permalink]
Yalind
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Yalind Send a message via AIM to Yalind
Heh, I think most girls actually have difficulties with drawing men but not so much with drawing females, like Fairy said.
Dunno, it's the same when writing sometimes, often (not always, but often) the handwriting of girls are generally 'curvier' and more flowing than a males is. So I guess it's just more natural for females to also be able to draw curvier lines and such, like those of the female body.

But I think you did a fairly good job with this picture Yui, the pose itself looks very good and I like his hair aswell.
I especially agree with Fairy about the legs, they need to be a little 'bigger', you know.
But still, very nice.
Yalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2003, 09:21 PM   #6   [permalink]
ADdispatcher
Forum Master

*cuts off the pretty little poster boy's head* No! He's still smiling at me!
ADdispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2003, 10:41 AM   #7   [permalink]
DreamLeader1

Send a message via ICQ to DreamLeader1 Send a message via AIM to DreamLeader1 Send a message via Yahoo to DreamLeader1
Quote:

It's funny, almost all the female artists I know can draw the female form just fine, but have trouble with men. Not vice versa with guys though, who tend to draw nothing BUT big breasted girls and neglect drawing men.

Why is this so true? I always seem to run into trouble when i try drawing men. Maybe its because you never really think about what the ideal guy should look like...it is very easy to think about women.

C&C--Very nice. Much better than my attempts at male postitioning. I would just double check the upper body proportions to the lower body.
DreamLeader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2003, 03:03 PM   #8   [permalink]
Millions
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Millions Send a message via AIM to Millions
Quote:
Oh yeah. I like the breastsesses.

I think his head and neck are fine...but his shoulders need to be a little more broad...and when drawing a guy in a button up shirt, his shoulders need to be a bit more square...but that's just me. And guys are easy to draw...they're more angular which works well with drawing...unlike women with all your curvy...uh...curves and what not. Mmm...curvy curves.
Old 31-03-2003, 04:25 PM   #9   [permalink]
Yui_Reborn
---------

Yeah but the thing that bothers me about drawing men is that even though they are much less curvy then women, they still have curves- leave them out completely and they look like robots, but if you make them too prominent they look effeminent.

Take hips for example, I mean men HAVE hips, only they only stick out a tiny bit from the waist in contrast to the female anatomy. You can't just ignore the fact that men have hip-bones if you want to do an anatomically accurate drawing, but if you're not carefull the drawing starts to look feminine really quickly.

I think men may be easier to draw if you're doing a highly stylized drawing where you can just draw all their limbs as straight lines and everything, but to draw men REALISTICALLY seems to be much harder for me. Contrary to popular belief, the male anatomy is not all straight lines, and the extent to which they are not straight is what's so difficult to capture in a drawing.
Old 31-03-2003, 04:40 PM   #10   [permalink]
Destructa
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Destructa
Great picture. Try to make the shoulders broader and the shirt a bit looser.
Destructa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2003, 05:02 PM   #11   [permalink]
Megumi H
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Megumi H Send a message via AIM to Megumi H
When drawing the male figure, it sometimes becomes necessary to envision and/or sketch the muscles. Sometimes before that, the bones must be drawn. And sometimes it's hard to focus after you envision.. um.. everything....

And I'm another one of those who has trouble drawing men... everything kind of goes to pieces after the waist.
Old 31-03-2003, 05:09 PM   #12   [permalink]
Vilstar
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Vilstar
How could i look as sexy as i am if male anatomy didn't work or make sense
Anyway...nice picture, it appears that you were able to make the male anatomy look just fine.
Old 31-03-2003, 05:40 PM   #13   [permalink]
Yui_Reborn
---------

Ahem, I feel obligated to prove that I can draw men SOME of the time (after whining about it for this entire thread), so here's a new comic page with a shot of the same character:

Still has issues (arms= too long!), but getting better I think.
Thanks guys, and err just because the male anatomy doesn't make any sense doesn't mean that it doesn't look good.....eheh....whatever.....
Old 06-04-2003, 08:44 AM   #14   [permalink]
Coign
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to Coign
*does my characteristic thing, and skips reading anything*

It's very simple to explain. Normally can be traced back to "which sex you are, and have seen mostly for most of your life". Not by choice, I've seen a lot more of the coarser sex throughout my life, and have a hard time drawing the female form.

It's just a mental "twinge."

Simple Answers to Difficult Avenger away!

*6-million dollar man flying sound*
Coign is offline   Reply With Quote