Old 04-01-2003, 11:15 PM   #1   [permalink]
Sigurd Fatima
Forum Master

Unhappy Harry, how tragic...

*Contains non-detailed SPOILERS*

It seems the great Harry thread has disappeared while I was last away, well I never got to add my thoughts so I'd just like to say this guy really did go through hell. As much as I hated his character I really did feel sorry for him in the end. He at least meets some of the qualifications to be considered a tragic hero? People could certainly disagree and stay he was a villian but in the end he did save the day, like a hero would, but would a hero save the world only for his own pleasures? In that case you could call him a tragic villian I guess.

The Characteristics of a Tragic Hero

1. Noble Stature: since tragedy involves the "fall" of a tragic hero, one theory is that one must have a lofty position to fall from, or else there is no tragedy. Another explanation of this characteristic is that tragedies involving people of stature affect the lives of others. In the case of a king, the tragedy would not only involve the individual and his family, it would also involve the whole society.

2. Tragic Flaw: the tragic hero must "fall" due to some flaw in his own personality. The most common tragic flaw is hubris (excessive pride). One who tries to attain too much possesses hubris.

3. Free Choice: while there is often a discussion of the role of fate in the downfall of a tragic hero, there must be an element of choice in order for there to be a true tragedy. The tragic hero falls because he chooses one course of action over another.

4. The Punishment Exceeds the Crime: the audience must not be left feeling that the tragic hero got what he deserved. Part of what makes the action "tragic" is to witness the injustice of what has occurred to the tragic hero.

5. Hero has Increased Awareness: it is crucial that the tragic hero comes to some sort of an understanding of what went wrong or of what was really going on before he comes to his end.

6. Produces Catharsis in Audience: catharsis is a feeling of "emotional purgation" that an audience feels after witnessing the plight of a tragic hero: we feel emotionally drained, but exultant.

Peace. V

Last edited by Sigurd Fatima; 04-01-2003 at 11:21 PM.
Sigurd Fatima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 11:19 PM   #2   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Your reading way to much into it he was a crazy murder-stalker well more stalker all and all is was quite nuts!

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 11:25 PM   #3   [permalink]
Sigurd Fatima
Forum Master

You said it yourself, he was "crazy". There's all kinds of people like that in the real world, but people like that suffer from intense psychological problems, there has to be a reason as to why people go nuts, or appear abnormal to us right?

Peace. V
Sigurd Fatima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:01 PM   #4   [permalink]
Hagakure

Send a message via AIM to Hagakure
wow dude, you must be somekind of a genius! I like it when people and watch stuff and actually get something from it, not just waste 1/2 hour everyday! I would probabbly agree with your views on harry, he just didn't know any better . Thank you for all that info on tragic heros also, it'll go well in my AP English!
Hagakure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2003, 12:30 PM   #5   [permalink]
Makoto Hyuga
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Makoto Hyuga
Very interesting insight. I thought Harry was more a victim of circumstance than being a "evil" character. I felt he was a tragic figure, more so than any other character in Outlaw Star. I mean, he gave the very last of his energy to save Melfina, despite the fact that he realized he could never be with her. He wasn't bound to the normal "I'm a bad guy and I shouldn't help the good guys" mold. Harry is such a misunderstood character.
Makoto Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote