Old 30-01-2003, 01:03 AM   #1   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Dr0nak Send a message via Yahoo to Dr0nak
Post Some Comments (spoilers possible)

I just bought the Outlaw Star Perfect Collection and started watching it this week. Since things haven't looked too lively around here lately to me, I thought I'd start up a thread with some thoughts and comments I have as I'm watching the series. Perhaps it will help initiate some discussions. As noted in the subject line, I expect there to be spoilers in here so consider yourselves warned. I also ask that people joining in don't spoil future episodes for me so that I can be surprised on my first watching of the series. Thanks.

OK, so far this week I've watch the first 4 episodes. One more and disk 1 of volume 1 is finished, but I felt like posting now. Let's see. First thing I noticed was that the opening theme song is really cool. I like both the music and the lyrics. It's too bad CN tends to drop the original openings of shows. I don't remember what they did for Outlaw Star, but that must mean that it wasn't as cool as the original if the DVD opening hooked me so quickly. It seems like a pretty cool series. I liked the Caster gun, shooting bullets with magic spells inside. Interesting. I did some web searching for more about it, but didn't find tons of stuff. Did they purposely leave things a bit vague on the Caster spell-technology? Melfina's pretty cute, too, not just in appearance, but the way she acts. I was a bit surprised with the ending of the 4th episode. I didn't expect Hilda to die that soon since she was a central character up to that point. Oh well. I mean I already knew the show focused around Gene and his crew, but I didn't realize Hilda was something of a device to set things up for him. *shrug*

After the first few episodes I can see why it was edited for TV. There were quite a bit of sexual conversations and/or innuendos and it's clear enough they wouldn't let that go by. I guess shots of Melfina naked had to be edited (oh no, nudity!), but they really didn't seem all that bad to me. A fair amount of violence and blood, too. But some edits I read about seemed like overkill. (Do you really need to change "damn you" to "blast you"? How is that better?) It seems like they made a *lot* of edits, maybe more than was really necessary. Was the TV edit a real butchering of the original? I'm getting the impression that they really chopped things down to make it acceptable for TV and/or a younger audience. The DVDs are rated 13 and up, you'd think on the Adult Swim block they'd let a few more things get past the cutting board. Oh well, it doesn't really matter at this point since I have the originals. I only saw a few shows on TV and don't remember them well and now I'm seeing them uncut on DVD, so I can't really make the comparison. I was just curious if it was as heavily edited as it seems.

It's getting late here and I should be in bed, so I'll leave it at that for now. When I have some more to say, after watching more shows or not, I'll post it here. I'd like to get a little discussion going, so feel free to join in as long as you don't spoil future episodes for me.
Dr0nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2003, 02:23 AM   #2   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Re: Some Comments (spoilers possible)

Quote:
Says Dr0nak:
I just bought the Outlaw Star Perfect Collection and started watching it this week.
I really gotta do that. It's so cheap.

I did some web searching for more about it, but didn't find tons of stuff. Did they purposely leave things a bit vague on the Caster spell-technology?
Patience, my friend.

I was a bit surprised with the ending of the 4th episode. I didn't expect Hilda to die that soon since she was a central character up to that point. Oh well. I mean I already knew the show focused around Gene and his crew, but I didn't realize Hilda was something of a device to set things up for him.
It's a common comment. I was shocked when it happened. It's a rather sobering thing when a strong character like that dies so early on. You really do get to thinking she's a major character. Her role, as you'll find, is crucial to the rest of the plot, though.

It seems like they made a *lot* of edits, maybe more than was really necessary. Was the TV edit a real butchering of the original?
Outlaw Star was aired just before Cartoon Network started loosening the reins on Toonami and created Adult Swim. As such, OS suffered less than other animes that had been aired, but was cut in many places and the dialogue changed...occasionally to the detriment of the plot. For example, listen closely to the difference in Episode 1 when Jim and Gene are standing outside on a bridge sorta thing and Gene announces he's going to leave Jim by himself.

The English edition sounds innocent enough, but what Gene is really saying in Japanese and how Jim replies is considerably more mature (in both meanings of the word). It's little things like that which alter the feeling yo get from each character. I'd say well over 99% of the "true" plot is seemlessly conveyed, but there is some lost in the translation and PG-ing.
Old 30-01-2003, 12:21 PM   #3   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

For a minute there I thought you forgot to reply because everything was inside the quote block. (Edit: when I viewed it from school, the bold face didn't show up for some reason.) Part of the reason I got Outlaw Star was because it was one of the cheaper 26 episode series. Plus I had seen a couple shows on TV and liked what I remembered of it. About the Caster stuff, it is still early in the series, so it makes sense that more would be revealed later on. Seems like pretty cool stuff to me, so I'll be watching for it. They ran out of caster bullets already though, so I guess we won't see too much more about it until they manage to buy some more. And they've already said that they're hard to come by (and expensive) so who knows how long it will be? At the moment, it seems like Hilda has sort of set everything up and that's about it. A bunch of people were after her because she was stealing the treasures they wanted, like Melfina and the ship Outlaw Star. Through her we meet some other characters, like the McDougals whose ship Gene recognizes as the one that destroyed his father's ship. And now that Gene et al. has the ship she swiped, presumably the people after Hilda will be after him. Maybe more about how she's important beyond that appears later on. I never saw some of the other anime shows that I hear aired on CN, probably because I didn't have cable here at school for a number of years and/or I didn't watch CN at the times they aired the shows. So I don't really know how the editing went before and after Adult Swim. Finding the Adult Swim block a few months ago was what really sparked an interest in anime. I know that scene you're talking about in episode 1. I don't remember seeing the TV version of it to compare the edit to the original though. Wait, the web site I found that listed the edits has scripts, too. (Google search for "outlaw star uncut" and it's the first hit.) <looking> Yeah, the edit makes it seem pretty innocent when it's not really so in the original. If the major plot is still the same and basically unaffected, I guess it's not so bad. But you're right that it does seem like it would affect the feeling you get from each of the characters; certain aspects of their personalities are getting lost in the edit. They certainly seem to leave out Gene's, umm, desire for women.

Melfina certainly seems like an interesting character, too. It seems clear enough that she's some type of android (or whatever they call it in the show) seeing as how she was stored in a box and later could connect up to the Outlaw Star's computers to run the (I think) navigation systems. But she also seems to have very human qualities, like emotions, that typically aren't found in created life forms. It should be interesting to see how her character develops and what we find out about her as the series goes on. I'm sure everyone's got some character development to go through, but Melfina is one of the most interesting right now because there's so little we know about her. At least we've had flashbacks of Gene's past and Jim seems kind of young to have *too* much of a past. Hmm, I guess that's it for the time being.

Last edited by Dr0nak; 31-01-2003 at 10:58 PM.
Old 31-01-2003, 10:57 PM   #4   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

Nothing too specific this time. I've watched two more episodes, so that's six down. The sixth show looked familiar, so I guess this must have been the part in the series that I did catch on TV. Suzuka's English dub voice is done by the same woman who does Faye's English dub voice in Cowboy Bebop, right? I didn't remember Suzuka's voice from TV when I saw Bebop, so I didn't notice the voices were the same until now after seeing more of Bebop. I could check the credits on the DVDs but I'm guessing someone knows offhand if they're the same person. I've been watching the shows twice since they seem to like cliff-hangers; 1, then 1 and 2, then 2 and 3, etc. It's something of a memory refresher and an excuse to watch the shows again. After a few days I decided to watch the "repeat" in Japanese with English subtitles. No real preference for sub or dub here right now, if you're wondering. But it does sound like the original Japanese uses English words now and then. I'm not talking about people's names and other proper nouns that really don't translate, but other things. Like "Outlaw Star" -- yeah it's a name, but couldn't they say that in Japanese instead of English? A number of technical type terms seem to be said in English, too, "engines" and "computer" being the only ones that come to mind at the moment. So is there any particular reason for this and is this done often? It just sounds like they're using more English words than they really need to. I guess that's about it at the moment. Edit: Oh yeah, in the Outlaw Star intro there's a still of Jim and Gene where Jim is holding up two fingers. I've seen this in a bunch of different shows and I'm sure you all know the gesture I'm talking about. What exactly is it supposed to mean in the anime (Japanese?) context? Is it like a thumbs up or something? I just don't quite understand why it seems to be used so often.

Oh, I took a look at that scene in episode one again, Drizzten, this time subtitled. I realized I wasn't sure if you were comaring the English dub uncut and cut or the English dub uncut to the Japanese original. The English subtitles for that scene were very similar to what was said in the dub. Not exactly, but pretty close.

Last edited by Dr0nak; 01-02-2003 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:24 PM   #5   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

OK, I've finished off volume one now, the first two DVDs containing episodes 1-9. Work is picking up though, so I'm just watching one new show at a time instead of the last one I watched and a new one. Plus taping and watching the Adult Swim action shows takes up a fair amount of time already. I think I've now gone past the episodes that I saw on TV, so everything from now on out will be completely new. Nothing terribly exciting that I can remember. Suzuka's a pretty cool character, able to do pretty powerful stuff with that wooden sword. And she's travelling along with the Outlaw Star crew right now. Not sure if she's considered a real part of the crew or not though. The last episode I saw (#9) brought up an interesting point -- since Gene made a deal with Suzuka that she would have to kill him before she could go after Fred, will she attempt to kill him at some point since they're travelling together? Gene's probably right that she wouldn't try anything on the ship because I'm not sure the rest of them could pilot it, but still. It's something kind of hanging over the characters so I'll have to see where that goes. It sounded like they were going to try to pick up Aisha, too, and get her help, but I'm not certain. I'll see later. That last episode wasn't too thrilling, but it did seem to develop the characters a bit more. We got to see a bit more interaction between Gene and Jim and how their general thinking differs, like what they worry or don't worry about. Jim seems a lot more practical minded, concerned about paying for the ship's upkeep and their food and such, while Gene seems a lot more easy going, kind of assuming a solution to their problems will come along. But there are scenes that kind of remind us that Jim is still a kid -- cuddled up with Melfina saying she's like his mom or Gene saying the women always pay attention to kids because they're young (Melfina making sure Jim's eating enough). It's a kind of interesting having the younger character be more practical than the older one because you don't always see the more child-like side of him. Suzuka's a bit more mysterious and intentionally so I'd imagine. Being a top assassin, she'd probably try to avoid revealing much about herself. But it was klind of amusing when Gene and Jim pick up the bounty worth 2000 wong(?) and Suzuka also picked up a bounty, but she says it was just a trifle. I knew she must have gotten a lot more than Gene and Jim did then. Part of her character, not to brag about what she's got? Oh, and her tips to Melfina about cooking -- that wasn't the kind of thing I expected to hear from a top assassin. It just seemed a little odd. Not too much more about Melfina yet, but I'm sure more comes along later. They get little bits and pieces about her now and then and I'm guessing that continues, so finding out about her will probably be a kind of slow process. Oh and on the voice actors thing, the English prologue is done by the same man who does Jet's English voice in Cowboy Bebop, isn't it? It's a little funny having the same people play different parts like that, especially if you're used to hearing them in one role and not others. Oh well, just part of the fun of anime, huh? OK, I guess that's it for now. Feel free to post your thoughts or responses to mine. I'd rather this not be a monologue.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:21 PM   #6   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

Huh, I noticed something kind of funny when I played episode 10 last night, the first one in volume 2. The subtitles weren't displayed for the opening or ending like they were for the first 9 shows in volume 1. If I turned on subtitles, they were there, but they weren't on by default. Volume 3 appears to be the same as volume 2. Strange that they'd force subtitles to be shown only on 1/3 of the set. No big deal, I was just surprised that they did that. I expected all the disks to be the same. Another thing I'm realizing is that they're pretty good at throwing ending like every other show with a cliff hanger.

A lot of set up for the space race in episode 10. Aisha's return was kind of funny. I recognized her from the back when I first saw her and wondered what would happen between her and Gene. I keep thinking she's going to join up with Gene et al. at some point, but I'm not certain. I thought it was amusing that Suzuka left the crew for a while saying she wasn't interested in the race and later proceeded to place a big bet on the Outlaw Star. The way things seem to go, I'm not sure whether or not Gene will win (or at least place top 3 so he doesn't owe Fred even more money). They will of course get past the trouble they're having with that binary planet as the first checkpoint in the space race though. There wouldn't be much of a show left if the Outlaw Star got destroyed or something. Oh well, I guess that's it. Actually, it was the DVD not having the subtitles automatically displayed that prompted me to write. Is everyone's copy like that? When things aren't consistent, I get curious, that's all. Expect more later after I see another show or few.
Old 14-02-2003, 02:29 PM   #7   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

Not like many people are reading this, but since I started I might as well keep going until I finish the series. I've watched through episode 17 now. Can't think of anything too striking between last time and now. It's kind of amusing how the crew is always low on money -- reminds me of Cowboy Bebop (which I'm still watching, too). Aisha's growing on me. She was kind of annoying at first, but she's not so bad now. Of course, she also seems to provide a decent amount of humor. It's kind of funny that she's gone from ambassador to waitress and ends up wrecking things in the restaurant when she gets mad. The story seems to be picking up now; one preview a couple episodes back commented about that, too. The McDougals are back in on things and Gene is determined to get to the Galactic Leyline. It's hard to remember that Melfina isn't actually human because she acts so much like one. I kind of felt sorry for her when she was talking about wondering whether or not Gene remembered his promise to help her find out an answer to her existence. The scene in episode 17 with Harry McDougal trying to break into the Outlaw Star and meeting up with Melfina in that virtual world was neat. I guess that's a sort of representation of what things are like for Melfina when she's connected to the ship in that navigation tank. I also couldn't help but notice that Gene managed to get more caster shells somehow -- he shot off about 4 in that battle with Ron McDougal who I was surprised to find out also had a caster weapon. It seems like the story has three main stages: the opening which introduced everyone and gets Gene hooked up with Mel and the XGP, the middle part which seems to be more character development and plot preparation so it moves kind of slowly, then the ending section that seems to be approaching with the actual trip to the Galactic Leyline. So things should be picking up again as they get into the final stages of the story here. It should be interesting to see how things go, especially since they still know very little about the Galactic Leyline. Anyway, that's about it for now I suppose. There will probably be more later.
Old 14-02-2003, 03:24 PM   #8   [permalink]
Makoto Hyuga
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Makoto Hyuga
The Caster will be explained in greater detail in a later epidsode, so be patient for that. You're correct in saying that the story can be broken down into three major parts. The last 1/3 is the best part, so be looking forward to more depth. A lot of the series info is explained in the last part, so everything is wrapped up nicely with only a few details that are never fully explained, especially one major plot point. I'll let you try to figure out what that point is. The thing about OLS is that every episode explains some little intricacy of the series. Whether it's character development, explanations of technology, or overall plot management, every episode contributes to the whole. Additionally, the McDougalls add an element as reoccuring antagonists. Harry is especially important as the series moves along, more so near the end. You're perception of Harry will change as the series comes to a close. Ron acts as the voice of reason in the pair. I forget of it's revealed at this point but there's an interesting twist on the McDougalls' relation to each other. As for the Caster, though they may be expensive, they can be found, usually on the black market. However, certain ones are very expensive and rare to come across, as you will soon learn. Casters are interesting pieces of technology and I can understand why Gene uses it only when necessary. Hope this rant isn't in vain and enjoy the show.
Makoto Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2003, 04:03 PM   #9   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

Yes, I've heard the caster stuff gets explained later, most notably in the episode that was dropped from the TV airings, #23 I think it was. I know Jim tends to harp on the fact that they're so expensive which probably means they're rare as well. And I know the basic idea that they're essentially magic spells in bullet form. I just thought they had trouble finding caster shells the first time around when they stayed in Heifong (sp?), so I was a little surprised to see that Gene had something like half a dozen of them when he faced off with Ron. If most of the things get wrapped up in the end, chances are whatever doesn't will stand out if it's one of the bigger plot points. If it's a smaller one, I might miss it, but I can comment about the ending when I reach it. And yes, it does look like each episode has something to add to the story even if it's not a major move along the primary story line. I've found the prologues to be quite interesting. That last one talked about humans, robots, cyborgs, and bio-andriods and whether or not they should be classified as having life. Most of them are kind of neat though; I wonder if they showed the prologues on TV, I can't remember. The McDougals do seem to play a recurring role and a kind of unique one since they're known to hire themselves out to the highest bidder. They don't really have a "side", so you never know exactly what they're up to. Harry's actions in that last episode kind of surprised me. I figured he'd just basically kidnap Melfina, not try to talk her into coming with him willingly. It was kind of weird. Maybe that's a hint of things to come? *shrug* Ron is pretty clearly the leader of the pair and it seems like they'll both be an important part of the ending, so I'll see how they develop as things proceed. BTW, have they mentioned how much older Ron is than Harry? I was just wondering what the age difference is between them. I don't think I understand what you're saying about a twist in the relationship between the two McDougals, so I'm guessing whatever it is hasn't been revealed yet. Or if they've hinted at it, it wasn't enough for me to pick up on it yet.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that by posting my thoughts I'd get some discussion going, but it hasn't worked as well as I had hoped. It's good to know that someone is at least reading it and I'm not just talking to myself here.
Old 21-02-2003, 01:02 AM   #10   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

OK, I just finished watching episode 23. Let's see, I left off at 17 before, so maybe looking at the titles will help jog my memory on things to say. Things are definitely building up to the final run to the Galactic Leyline. The Strongest Man/Women competition episode was kind of fun -- Fred promising to marry this woman if she won 5 times and she's won 4 already so he wants Gene to make sure she doesn't win again. Gene gets in dressed as a women (thanks to bribing officials) and Aisha sneaks in (because Ctarl-Ctarl aren't allowed) by tying up another competitor and taking her place. Fun stuff. The ending was neat, too, where Aisha and some other Ctarl-Ctarl fought for the championship with both of them going into their full animal form. The show where Jim meets and falls for this girl was good because of the twist ending to the show. I always enjoy that sort of thing. I know from a bit earlier the Anten Seven are after Gene, but I can't quite tell which people after him are the rest of that group so I've lost count of how many Gene's taken out and how many are still out to get him. Oh well. Finding the ruins in Grave of the Dragon was interesting, but they didn't pick up a ton of information. More interaction between Harry MacDougal and Melfina, him trying to convince her to go with him. It's still kind of weird. If he (and maybe Ron) want to get her so badly, why don't they just take her by force when they have the chance like this, Harry alone with Melfina? I'll have to wait and see if this clears up a bit. It was also cool because Gene shows that he does care for Melfina, something he generally hasn't been doing, through the talk with Suzuka and the ending scene with Mel before they board the ship. (Was that this episode or another one? I'm losing track already, sheesh.) The Gravity Jailbreak episode was cool -- neat plan with the magnetic monopoles to escape the prison. That definitely looked like a *bad* place to be. Obviously Gene had to get out or the show wouldn't be able to continue, but I thought the way he got out was pretty cool. It was kind of mean of that scientist (I forget his name) who created Melfina to shut her down in order to force Gene to infiltrate the prison to get the coordinates to the Galactic Leyline, but they get even with him in the end.

OK, the Hot Springs Planet Tenrei episode. I thought this was a really good show. As for it being skipped on TV, well, I suppose it makes sense. There was a fair amount of (near) naked people in it and a number of views of women's behinds and/or cleavage. But a number of the views were also from the back meaning you don't see all that much beside a rear end. I don't know, I was kind expecting naked people running wild or something and it really didn't seem that bad. I mean, it's not the kind of thing that all of a sudden makes me drool ecstatically because there's a drawing of a naked woman on the screen. Yeah, it's obviously noticeable, but it's not something I'd throw a fit over. OK, younger viewers probably shouldn't see it, but for adults I don't see the problem. Of course, I suppose it is harder to get that sort of thing by TV censors. However, I'm also inclined to agree with that one review I saw that said digital bikinis would have taken care of a lot of the problem, they could cut out a few other parts if necessary and still have enough material to show as an episode. *shrug*

Anyway, this was a pretty funny episode. There was that clown-masked guy with the claws after Gene who continually misses getting him for stupid reasons. There are the snowball traps set up on the second mountain Gene has to climb which repeatedly knock him back into the hot springs where he keeps telling the women he didn't come for the view. Cute scene when Gene meets Aisha in that lava pool though (the water hot springs weren't hot enough for her). Actually, Jim had a point, this had to be serious business if it was keeping Gene away from all the (half) naked women in the hot springs. I'm sure there were a few other parts that I found funny; I was laughing at things through most of the show. And on top of all that stuff we get more information about the caster shells/technology. Gene meets the few wizards/priests who can make the shells, finds out why some are so rare, and manages to get four of these rare shells along with the information that they'll require some of his life force to activate them and shooting off a couple quickly could kill him. Important information, I think. I can imagine that the last three episodes could be a bit confusing without the knowledge about casters that was revealed in this episode. So I really liked it and not primarily because of the views (but they were nice, too) -- there were a lot of funny scenes and a bunch of new information on the caster that adds to the story. Three more episodes to go. Unless there's some more feedback, I'll probably just post once more once I see the end of the series. Then again, maybe I'll get some more replies once I am through with the series. We'll see I guess.
Old 21-02-2003, 03:12 AM   #11   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Damn it, now I want to watch the series all over again. It's been so long that most of what you've written is like watching the episodes all over again.
Old 26-02-2003, 02:05 PM   #12   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

It's been a while, huh? Well, I read a number of different web boards and on at least a few of them people have indicated that they enjoy reading what first-timers have to say about things. It's a reminder of how they felt when they got to experience something for the first time. Since it only happens for you personally once, it can be nice to sort of relive that experience by reading someone else's thoughts as they do it the first time. Well, if you've got the series feel free to watch it whenever you like. I enjoyed it.

I've finished the series now, too. Unfortunately, I finished it a few days ago while the board was down and while it's not like I've forgotten the shows already, some of the little details I might have commented on probably are going to be forgotten. Oh well. Hmm, let's see. The last three episodes was pretty much all action at the Galactic Leyline, but I might mix up which episode things happened in. It made for an interesting ending with Gene and crew, the pirate leader (Hazanko I think), and the MacDougals all at the Leyline trying to get the treasure. It was kind of strange to see Harry turned into the same type of bio-android as Melfina and navigating the MacDougal's ship for them. But his meeting with Melfina a little later in this sequence of shows revealed why he was trying to convince her to join him rather than just taking her by force. He did seem to change quite a bit throughout the series. He even helped Gene open that big door so he could get to Melfina and save her. It was neat seeing Hilda again in Gene's flashback or dream or whatever that was. Things were kept kind of confusing through the series until they sort of cleared things up at the end. They said Melfina was created basically as a tool to open the Leyline, but was that really a surprise? We knew early on that she was designed to be able to go there. Maybe we didn't know she was the key to opening it, but I guess I was hoping for a bit more about her past and creation. It was nice to see her and Gene finally really get together at the end. Things sort of leaned that way, but it didn't really go there until the ending. The OS crew facing off solo with other people made for some interesting battles and scenes, Suzuka and Aisha fighting the pirates I think they were. I was kind of concerned that they had died (at least Aisha who I remember collapsing on the floor after the battle in her full animal form) so it was good to see that they were all around at the very end. The bit with the casters though -- Gene had four of those rare, special shells that required a person's life force to activate and he shot them all in the ending. Did he just spread them out enough that he didn't get drained dry? Or was that flashback/dream thing sort of a near death experience caused by shooting all those shells? Too bad he used up all his other shells early on, being uneffective against Ron I guess it was. The caster was cool, it would have been nice to see a little more of it in action. And speaking of cool, the grappler ships are totally cool, too. Grappler combat in space made for some really neat scenes. I guess the Leyline was more interesting before they revealed what it was. Well, they said something about that in a prologue I think, about people liking to solve mysteries, but doing so makes them lose some of they mystery and appeal. Definitely strange how the Leyline could make people's desires come true though and that Melfina being hooked up to it somehow could do the same for Gene. I was really startled by the early "to be continued" on the final episode, but glad they kept rolling after that. I know I was at least somewhat confused when that appeared and thinking "that's it?! They're ending it now?" I'm not sure everything was completely clear at the end either, but I might have to rewatch the shows to find out exactly what was left open. Of course, they fact that they all blast off into space at the very end (Suzuka and Aisha included) leaves things open. I've heard rumors about a second series of Outlaw Star and with such an open ending this time they could certainly do another series if they wanted to. Hmm, I'm kind of going on train of thought here and it's kind of running out of steam. I guess I'll leave it at this for now. If more stuff comes to me later, I can post about it then. Will we get some more discussion going now that I've finished the series? Only time will tell.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:01 AM   #13   [permalink]
Sigurd Fatima
Forum Master

Forgive me for not reading your entire post word for word (it's 1AM here). I took a stab at your questions though.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr0nak
The bit with the casters though -- Gene had four of those rare, special shells that required a person's life force to activate and he shot them all in the ending. Did he just spread them out enough that he didn't get drained dry? Or was that flashback/dream thing sort of a near death experience caused by shooting all those shells?
Yeah I think that's it. He was called back to life by the help of Melfina. Another anime does the same thing with willpower and energy, but I won't mention it for sake of spoilers.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr0nak
I know I was at least somewhat confused when that appeared and thinking "that's it?! They're ending it now?"
I think they might have had planned to continue the series but didn't for lack of interest in Japan. It is certainly much, much better then The Big O so they should do the same thing they did with Big O and still release it outside of Japan on Adult Swim or something. Do you hear me Cartoon Network! Heh.

By the way, sorry about reviving this thread but this forum has been rather empty lately. This is the 3000th post in the Outlaw Star forum!!

Last edited by Sigurd Fatima; 06-09-2003 at 02:03 AM.
Sigurd Fatima is offline   Reply With Quote