Old 30-08-2002, 09:55 AM   #31   [permalink]
Suzuka

wow people. every one is taking a defensive attitude. (it could just be me who knows)

any way......I really like out law star. It is deffinatly a series worth watching all the way through IMO. I am acctually playing a RPG based on it as well. SOOO much fun.
Suzuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 07:20 AM   #32   [permalink]
Petezilla
Executive Member

I was a bit biassed towards outlaw star knowing it was shown on cartoon network, but after hearing all these positive ahem comments I'm gonna give it a try.
Petezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:07 PM   #33   [permalink]
Hagakure

Send a message via AIM to Hagakure
What's wrong with CN? If it wasn't for them I would of never gotten into anime, though it can't be your only source. CN is mostly an intro into the world of Japaneese animation. But still, you have to appreciate what toonami brought to america. Anime that wasn't speed racer!
Hagakure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:43 PM   #34   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Quote:
Originally posted by Petezilla
I was a bit biassed towards outlaw star knowing it was shown on cartoon network, but after hearing all these positive ahem comments I'm gonna give it a try.
Don't bother, as many have said if you've seen Bebop you've seen Outlaw Star. Outlaw Star is a show that is one of the most poorly made pieces of garbage to ever soil a tv screen. It's so full of cliches and dull characters and does absolutely nothing new with the premise it has. Personally I think that it's an insult to Cowboy Bebop to mention it in the same sentence as the dung heap Outlaw Star. Besides I liked it better when it was called Star Wars. You'll save your money by not getting this series.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:24 PM   #35   [permalink]
Sigurd Fatima
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Project Akira
You'll save your money by not getting this series.
Oh yeah, you'll save a whole $65. OLS is one of finest, funniest and cheapest series out there. Running 26 episodes it averages $2.5 per episode. I highly recommend it because I think its a great anime for those who are just getting into anime and don't want to pay $20 for just a few episodes of a series. You could just watch it on CN and if you grow to love it like me, you'll eventually buy it and find yourself counting all the edits CN made.

Peace. V

Edit: Cowboy Bebop is a great anime too, they're both great.

Last edited by Sigurd Fatima; 05-01-2003 at 07:25 PM.
Sigurd Fatima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:49 PM   #36   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigurd Fatima
Oh yeah, you'll save a whole $65. OLS is one of finest, funniest and cheapest series out there. Running 26 episodes it averages $2.5 per episode. I highly recommend it because I think its a great anime for those who are just getting into anime and don't want to pay $20 for just a few episodes of a series. You could just watch it on CN and if you grow to love it like me, you'll eventually buy it and find yourself counting all the edits CN made.

Peace. V
Or you could spend that $65 dollars on a series like Generator Gawl, or Bubblegum Crisis 2040 which are both infinitely better than Outlaw Star. There are much better animes for people getting into anime than Outlaw Star. In fact this would be one of the worst mainly because people will have low standards for anime and just settle for any series wasting their money continuously. There are much better ways to spend money towards anime than Outlaw Star boxset unless you're looking for a good paperweight then you can use that along with the Trigun boxset.

And by the way I saw it on Cartoon Network and was bored to death. I highly doubt that an unedited version would rouse my interest.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigurd Fatima
Edit: Cowboy Bebop is a great anime too, they're both great.
No Cowboy Bebop is what we call a masterpiece. Outlaw Star is what we call tripe.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:50 PM   #37   [permalink]
Maguamaru
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Maguamaru Send a message via Yahoo to Maguamaru
Funny, Dan, I had twice as much fun with Outlaw Star than I ever had with Bebop. And believe me, that's saying something.

I think Red Dwarf said it best:

Quote:
I could never invent a sandwich like this, Lister. You see all the ingredients are wrong. The fried eggs, wrong. The chutney, wrong. The chilli sauce, all wrong. But put them together and somehow it works.
I think of Outlaw Star in the same way - the ingredients, while working individually, are the sort that you would expect to be disjointed, random, and nonsensical when used in the same show. But when you put them all together, it becomes more than the sum of its parts. "All the ingredients are wrong, but put them together and somehow it works."

So yeah, Outlaw Star has a lot of things. It has clichés. It also has depth and difficult mysteries encased in its story, if that's your bag. But most of all, it's an enjoyable romp with a great soundtrack and loveable characters. Though between you and me, I can't see how anyone can watch a show and actively despise one of the characters anyway. I'm a firm believer in the expression "love to hate".
Old 06-01-2003, 04:05 PM   #38   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Maguamaru
Though between you and me, I can't see how anyone can watch a show and actively despise one of the characters anyway. I'm a firm believer in the expression "love to hate".
Actually if there was one saving grace in my book it was the interaction between Twilight Suzuka and Aisha both whom I enjoyed oddly enough ^^;;;
Old 06-01-2003, 06:15 PM   #39   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Dr0nak Send a message via Yahoo to Dr0nak
Well, FWIW, I enjoyed the few episodes of Outlaw Star I saw on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block. I was unfortunate enough to only find out about this block like two months ago and so I probably missed out on a lot of stuff. In this case, I was only able to see about 3 shows before it was taken off the air. Now that I have a way to play DVDs, this is one of the series I'm considering starting off buying because it's no longer on TV, the complete collection is relatively cheap, and I did like the few shows I saw so I'll probably like the whole thing. (BTW, the other shows that I'm considering in a first purchase are Evangelion because so many people seem to recommend it and Cowboy Bebop because I know I like that, but it's still on TV so I may save money now by waiting and watching the free version first.) Being new to anime in general, I don't know how well it stacks up against other shows. I suppose sometimes it's hard to avoid making comparisons, but I usually try not to. I try to just take each show as is and decide whether or not I like it without basing that decision on what I thought of other shows. Not having seen much anime, that may be easier for me to do than many of you who have seen lots of stuff. But, I did enjoy the few shows of Outlaw Star that I did get to see on TV before it was removed from the schedule.
Dr0nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 10:11 PM   #40   [permalink]
Sigurd Fatima
Forum Master

Yeah, Trigun's great too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Project Akira
Generator Gawl, or Bubblegum Crisis 2040.
I guess even one has there own opinions.

Peace. V
Sigurd Fatima is offline   Reply With Quote