Old 09-12-2002, 06:23 AM   #1   [permalink]
Sinix

I need Outlaw Star

Did CN drop it for good or is it going somewhere else... part of me thinks its gonna be on toonami instead of adult swim because they showed lil clips from it when they were talkin about whats gonna be new on toonami, but maybe that doesnt mean anything.

Answers anyone?
Sinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 04:35 PM   #2   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
its gone, gone for good.

theyve showed the entire series 7 or 8 times (twice on adult swim), it premiered on toonami on january of 2000.

edit: there's an Outlaw Star forum here too

Last edited by Fatal Outlaw; 09-12-2002 at 04:41 PM.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 04:36 PM   #3   [permalink]
FayeFayeV
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to FayeFayeV Send a message via AIM to FayeFayeV Send a message via MSN to FayeFayeV Send a message via Yahoo to FayeFayeV
heh..lemme just say..if the clip's in the commercial...the show has or is or soon will be on Toonami.

I jump ROOF to ROOF and get my friends free cable.
FayeFayeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 04:41 PM   #4   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by FayeFayeV
heh..lemme just say..if the clip's in the commercial...the show has or is or soon will be on Toonami.

correct

the commercial they showed had clips on all the shows that aired on toonami. the commercial did not play any clips from new shows
Old 09-12-2002, 05:12 PM   #5   [permalink]
AnimeFreak96

Send a message via AIM to AnimeFreak96
The episodes on TV aren't the greatest... The uncut version is better, so your better off watching that than the one on TV.
AnimeFreak96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 06:48 PM   #6   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by AnimeFreak96
The episodes on TV aren't the greatest... The uncut version is better, so your better off watching that than the one on TV.
the thing about anime on tv is...

its free.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:09 PM   #7   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Dr0nak Send a message via Yahoo to Dr0nak
Exactly. As a newbie to anime, I'd really like to see some of it on TV before I decide whether or not I want to spend money to buy something. OK, so things get edited for television. If I see it on TV for free first and decide I really like it, then I'll be more inclined to spend money on it and buy the uncut versions. I'm a lot more reluctant to spend money on something sight unseen. Too bad Outlaw Star is gone. I only got to see like 3 episodes.
Dr0nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:22 PM   #8   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
[Moving to the OS forum.]
Old 10-12-2002, 01:31 AM   #9   [permalink]
BrikHaus81
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to BrikHaus81
Watching Outlaw Star on tv and watching it uncut on dvd, is like watching two entirely different shows. There are a ton of funny lines that had to be cut from tv because they were either sexual in nature, or just plain debaucherous. In all, it is 500% better on dvd then on tv. If you liked the three episodes you saw on tv, chances are you will love it on dvd. Besides, Amazon.com is selling it for something like $70, the cheapest 26 episode series I've ever seen.
Cheers.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:47 PM   #10   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

Thanks for the info, BrikHaus81. That does seem to be a relatively cheap price for a full anime series. Since it is less expensive than a lot of other series and I kind of liked the couple shows I did see, this might be the first thing I'll buy. Of course, I need to get a DVD player first, but I'm kind of expecting my parents to get me a VCR/DVD combo device for Christmas, so hopefully lack of an appropriate player won't be an issue much longer. Still, the more I could have seen for free on TV, the greater the chances of me really getting hooked on it and thus really wanting to spend the money to get the whole thing uncut. Oh well, that's the situation so I have to deal with it. I'll certainly keep this show in mind when I seriously start looking to spend money on anime. At the moment, partly because of the lack of a DVD player, I'm just kind of doing a survey of what's available for how much, that sort of thing.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:21 AM   #11   [permalink]
BrikHaus81
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to BrikHaus81
Dr0nak, I'm not sure how new you are to the anime game, but there are quite a lot of good shows out there you might be interested in collecting. If you like Outlaw Star (and how could you not?) you might also be interested in getting Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. They all have the sort of "space-western" feel to them. But if you're low on cash, the cheapest is Outlaw Star. Evangelion is also quite good, but a completely different genre than the others. OS is a great show, I've seen it all the way through once on tv, and three times on dvd. So, I hope you get your dvd player for Christmas and get to enjoy this show as much as I have.
Cheers.
Old 15-12-2002, 05:53 PM   #12   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

This is going to drift a bit from being Outlaw Star specific, but I'll make sure OS stays in the post. BrikHaus81, I'm really new to anime. I'm sure I've seen some anime over the years, but it was finding out about the shows on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim action block that really sparked my interest. I probably haven't seen tons of episodes of each, but the ones that are most catching my attention right now are Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, and G Gundam. As previously noted, I liked what I saw of Outlaw Star, too, but it's been pulled at least temporarily. Yu Yu Hakusho is kind of cool, the other Gundam shows that are on (0080 and Mobile Suit) haven't caught me as much as G Gundam has. Dragonball and DBZ are fun, too, but I don't go to great lengths to watch them. Other ones they might have are slipping my mind right now, so I guess they're not really catching my attention. I'm going to keep watching what I can on TV, but I'm also aware that there are many other shows and movies that aren't on TV. If I want to see the good shows that aren't on TV, I'll have to buy them (well, I might be able to rent them, I should check on that). So right now I'm basically just gathering information and checking out options.

I'm not terribly low on cash, but I do generally like to regularly put money away into savings. So I do try to watch my fun spending and keep it under control. I've probably said this before somewhere, but since I'm relatively new and don't necessarily know exactly what I'll enjoy watching, I don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars on a series only to watch it and find out I can't stand it. That's why lower cost items are good for me as a newbie. As with most things, after a while if I get hooked on what I've started with, I'll be willing to spend more money and take some more risks because I will have built up a little base of stuff I like first. So in terms of potential first purchases, Outlaw Star is pretty high on the list because I've seen some of it and should enjoy it, it's a relatively short series, and it's one of the least expensive ones. There's a lot in its favor there. I'm considering Cowboy Bebop, too, but may hold off on that since I know I can watch it for free on TV for now. The other main one I'd consider early on is Evangelion because it seems like it comes rather highly recommended by many people. I was using the results of last year's top 100 poll that I counted up as one guide to what shows are probably good enough for me to consider buying. It will be kind of hard to figure out exactly what to get though since I haven't seen lots of things in different genres. It may be a bit of a guessing game in the beginning: from some given genre, pick something from that most people like and see what I think of it -- if I like it, I can consider getting more shows like it. I'm sure it will be easier to provide recommendations when I've seen more things and have a better idea of what shows I really like.

As for a DVD player, my sister told me that my mom did mention getting ones for me and my brother. She doesn't know if my mom was talking about DVD/VCR combos (which I'd prefer) or stand alone DVD players, but she claims I will be getting some DVD player for Christmas. We'll see soon enough. though

Last edited by Dr0nak; 15-12-2002 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:17 AM   #13   [permalink]
Sigurd Fatima
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by BrikHaus81
the cheapest 26 episode series I've ever seen.
Yeah I finally stopped being a freeloader and bought it. I had the CN version taped, but now I got it in all it's glory and I like DVDs much better than VHS anyway. Now only about a few more years to a decade of years until we can tape on DVDs, but I recently heard there will be discs like the CD-R's and CD-RW's and you would guess that the CD-RW's would be quite a bit more expense so the industry really knows how to milk it's consumers.

Peace. V
Sigurd Fatima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2003, 03:43 PM   #14   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

I know the thread is a little old, but this seems to fit here and I don't see anything saying we can't bump up older threads. I did get a DVD player for the holidays, but it wouldn't connect to my TV properly so I exchanged it for a DVD/VCR combo. I also purchased a couple of sets of DVDs including Outlaw Star. I'm glad that I have it because now I can watch the whole series at my leisure. I played the first one last night and thought the opening song was really cool. It's too bad CN tends to drop the original openings in favor of their own bunch of different scene clips patched together. Not that those are necessarily bad, just that sometimes the originals and their songs are better. I can't remember what CN did for an opening with Outlaw Star, but I'm almost certain that whatever it was it wasn't as good (IMO) as the original I just saw.

I'm tempted to watch the TV series I bought in like one weekend -- watch 13 on Saturday and 13 on Sunday and that's the 26 episode series. But, while that might be enjoyable, all the surprises of seeing things for the first time are gone after just two days. I think I'll try to stretch it out a bit, maybe play a few more on the weekends and less on the weekdays when I'm taping and watching the Adult Swim action shows anyway. But definitely try to spread it out so that the fun of seeing things for the first time lasts longer.

Oh yeah, I was looking up some info on the web (like the Japanese lyrics for the opening song) and found some sites that talked about the edits made when it was shown on CN. I didn't read too much of them to avoid having reading spoilers about the shows, but I glanced over them. Some of the edits I could understand, but some really didn't make much sense. Maybe they were just being overly cautious or something. *shrug* Not all animes on CN are cut as much as Outlaw Star apparently was, are they?

Last edited by Dr0nak; 26-01-2003 at 06:45 PM.