Old 04-05-2003, 01:19 AM   #1   [permalink]
kindred350

could u tell me why is this anime good

i mean, i watch the first movie. And it was boring most of the time they was just talking.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:23 AM   #2   [permalink]
Schizm
V.I.P. Member

Some people like political anime..........Not everything has to be action or jokes.
Schizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 03:23 AM   #3   [permalink]
DarkPrimus
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to DarkPrimus
Dear god... kindred350, do you have anything better to do than to complain about animes that are too complex for you to understand?
DarkPrimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:42 AM   #4   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

For starters dude..., Patlabor started off as a OAV.., then a TV series, then the first movie came out..., it has alot of history to it..., & without seeing at least some of those series first..., the movie can seem very blah...,
The series isn't solely based on action..., it's more to do with how the various characters interact with each other..., it can be very slow going in places..., so if you don't like non-action/non-violent anime shows..., avoid the the Patlabor series..., it's won't be to your tastes...,

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2003, 11:43 AM   #5   [permalink]
7thchildren
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to 7thchildren
incomeing nub question: what the hell does OAV mean?
7thchildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:39 AM   #6   [permalink]
DarkPrimus
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to DarkPrimus
Quote:
Originally posted by 7thchildren
incomeing nub question: what the hell does OAV mean?
Original Animated Video. Alternatively, some people use the term OVA, Original Video Animation.

OVAs are like direct-to-video movies, only they are usually series. They are released episode by episode, and have higher budgets than an anime series aired on television.

Dying is so damn expensive, I don't think I can afford it.

Founder and Executive Council member of the Bebop Mafia. Alias: Crimson Tears.
DarkPrimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:48 PM   #7   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkPrimus
Original Animated Video. Alternatively, some people use the term OVA, Original Video Animation.

OVAs are like direct-to-video movies, only they are usually series. They are released episode by episode, and have higher budgets than an anime series aired on television.
They are also able to air more questionable materal as well.

I'll have to look it up again, but I belive the Movie came out at the same time or before the TV series.

The total count so far is 2 OVA/OAVs, 1 TV series and 3 Movies. Plus a large array of models to boot.

My reason for why Patlabor is a good anime is because it is not only a political anime but the technoligy in it seems like it can be just around the corner. Unlike Mobile Suits from Gundam.
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:29 AM   #8   [permalink]
DeckeredCain

Send a message via AIM to DeckeredCain
Exactly why I like it. You can actually imagine life in the world as you watch it. Gundam Wing was always a little too futuristic for my taste where Patlabor I could put myself in that world.
FROM THE FIELD ONCE AND FOR ALL!
-Yu-Gi (Yu-Gi-Oh)
DeckeredCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:51 AM   #9   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Black_Knight
My reason for why Patlabor is a good anime is because it is not only a political anime but the technoligy in it seems like it can be just around the corner. Unlike Mobile Suits from Gundam.
I agree on this point ... but ... there are some aspects of the technology that I can't for the life of me figure out ...

Why would take the notion of scaling EVERYTHING up for these mecha? For example, why make scale replicas of humaniform weapons ... to the point of being able to identify the source ( shotgun, revolver, riot baton?!)

Given the advantages of volume and systems integration, it would be far more efficient and deadly to have the primary "handgun" actually built into the forearm with access to a significant capacity of ammunition ... add to this such off the shelf avionics that provide for a higher degree of systems integration within a builtin heads up display in the helmet.

In fact, the size of the "handgun" really opens it up to a wide variety of ammunition types (which could easily be changed on the fly) ... by using a smoothbore "gatling" style rotary cannon and or an axially mounted large bore cannon ... this would solve much of the offensive problems inherent into the PatLabor design.

Some people would argue that this then would make it a mililtary concept as opposed to a civilian "peacekeeper" model ... and therefore more expensive ... (which would be true if you take cutting edge state of the art ) but if our defense industry is any example ... it would be far better and cheaper to buy one generation back surplus military grade designs that have proven themselves in a much harsher environment. As for the weapons, they can be downgraded or even stripped ... depending on the designated job.

SamIam

Last edited by SamIam; 08-12-2004 at 12:53 AM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 11:46 PM   #10   [permalink]
Newtype05

Patlabor movies are one of those that will either bore you to death simply because you don't get it, or really get into the whole conspiracy/corporate politics drama. But if you appreciate anime, certainly you can enjoy the high quality of art work at display. These heavily plot-driven movies are not action oriented, and has very little comedic elements in them, one would say it's a drama, so if you don't care to watch anime for characters just talking, then Patlabor is not for you. But there's a lot of cultural nuances and environmental nostalgia to captivate the audience as well as the chilling crimes that has a thought-provoking message of their own. And those matte paintings are just awesome, you just feel being at that environment, as many scenes were painted from photographs of the actual places.
Newtype05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 01:33 AM   #11   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

I approached it has a mystery anime.All the while people are trying to figure out what is the problem with the HOS.Lots of people see the mobile suit and mistake it for a Gundam clone though.