Old 29-06-2003, 02:06 AM   #1   [permalink]
Stingray 67
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Stingray 67
Finally, a post, a piece of art

First off, the picture made it look like I drew this on brown paper, so I turned it to black and white (a scanner would be oh so nice). I originally wanted to do a full body sketch of Ruri Hoshino, but figure I wasn't ready yet, so I screencapped a a face-shot.

Considering this is my first real attempt at manga, I think I did a pretty fair job. There are flaws, I know, since this is based on someone else's art, but still... As first attempt, what do guys think?
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg first timer.jpg (30.2 KB, 29 views)

"Brace yourselves.... The area of penetration will no doubt be sensitive." - Spock

Now supporting:
Brainfuzz

Last edited by Stingray 67; 29-06-2003 at 03:07 AM.
Stingray 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2003, 03:10 AM   #2   [permalink]
Stingray 67
Forum Junkie

Trying this again...
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg first timer.jpg (56.0 KB, 28 views)

"Brace yourselves.... The area of penetration will no doubt be sensitive." - Spock

Now supporting:
Brainfuzz
Old 29-06-2003, 05:18 PM   #3   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
It's nice.

---C&C:

There's not much to say about it, in either direction, I'm afraid: It being as basic and simple as it is. You seem to have mastered the essential: The degree of asymmetrism is low, it's there though and is noticeable. It's difficult to say anything about proportion, as the frame is lacking, but it's alright enough: Nose about mouth is perhaps placed a bit too low. Or it's an illusion created by the lack of a nosebone. That's the technical. As for the rest. You might want to add a bit more life into those eyes: Do something about those pupils, and give the eye in general some expression.
Anyway. The drawing shows potential, certainly: All you need is training. Like everyone else has at one point or another. Keep it up.
Nulani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2003, 11:42 PM   #4   [permalink]
Megumi H
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Megumi H Send a message via AIM to Megumi H
You're back! *glomp*

I agree with Nulani about the eyes. They could use some life, or at least a little more definition. I think the eyebrows might be a little too low.. not sure, I'd have to see the whole headshot.

I'm not sure what Ruri-chan's smile looks like, since I haven't gotten too far in the series, but I think maybe it should be a little shorter. Again, I don't know, I'd have to see the whole headshot.

Finish soon!
Old 30-06-2003, 07:48 PM   #5   [permalink]
Stingray 67
Forum Junkie

"Wake up, Megumi. It's not a dream."

Yeah, I've been gone for a while. I've just been in a funk, not posting as much as I used too (and not just here, either).

I suppose the eyes aren't expressive because the character isn't meant to be as well. I didn't finish the pupils mostly because after wanting to get a good sketch for some time, I just threw my hands up and thought it was good enough to show some skill. I'll make the pupils bigger, since eyes in manga don't normally show the whole pupil. (They're not neatly round, anyway.). Besides, they look a bit on the beady side, now that I think about it.

I'll work on a whole headshot, but I'm unsure about drawing circles by freehand; although I like a good size to help with detail. I don't know. I'll put it up as soon as I can.

Doumo

Now supporting:
Brainfuzz

Last edited by Stingray 67; 30-06-2003 at 07:54 PM.