Old 10-03-2001, 05:09 AM   #1   [permalink]
isamudyson
Forum Elite

So what do you think about Macross? I haven't heard too much about this series here but I'm sure you guys got an opinion on it.

What's your favorite Macross? Mine's Macross Plus (big surprise). It's got excellent music, outstanding animation quality, and the best fight scene in all of anime. The plot isn't that deep and doesn't completely explain the "conflict between Isamu and Guld, but it's a good story none the less. Macross Plus: The Movie does a better job at explaining it, and is worth seeing if you haven't.

Of course the other Macross series/movies are good too. The original is still one of the best animes ever and is a must for any anime fan. Macross 7 is the only one I haven't seen since it's not out in the US so I can't really say anything about it, but I'll see it sooner or later.

What is Macross with out Minmei? You either love her or hate her. I sure some one has an opinion about her.

Well, I said enough for now.
isamudyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 05:41 AM   #2   [permalink]
DarkAnimeWizard

Send a message via AIM to DarkAnimeWizard
I like maccross II the movie
DarkAnimeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 08:12 AM   #3   [permalink]
Gabo-kun

Really, I can't understand how people can hate Minmay. She's so cute, and her songs are cool... even if they sound old... but there is a new version of "Tenchi no enogu", released in 1997 for the 15th anniversary of Macross, which is really cool.
As for my favorite Macross, I would say Macross 7. Some fans hate it, but it's a very cool series, with probably the best characters and best music.
Macross Plus the movie was also cool too.
Power to the mystery!
Come on feel the power from you and me!
Gabo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 09:24 AM   #4   [permalink]
StramiT
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to StramiT Send a message via AIM to StramiT
What I wan't to know is the plot difference between the original macross and the macross portion of robotech!
StramiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 01:31 PM   #5   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

I've seen Macross the Movie: Do You Remember Love?, Macross II, & Macross Plus. Of the three, my fave is Macross Plus. I liked the story, the animation is beautiful, and the music rocks!!! :B:
I found the first Macross movie a little dull, but it was miles better than Macross II which I thought was dreadful (the bloody awful dubbing didn't help matters either).

Can't help you StramiT, I haven't seen Robotech...,

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P

Last edited by EVA fiend; 10-03-2001 at 01:32 PM.
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 01:51 PM   #6   [permalink]
blueraven

I really enjoyed Macross Plus. I loved the characters, the music (voices is such a great song), and the fighting scenes were pretty good too. I haven't seen any of the other macross stuff but I'm sure that if I see it anywhere I would buy it. Anyways, a little off topic but in Macross Plus what was the name of the song played at the end credits?
blueraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 01:55 PM   #7   [permalink]
Planeswalker9

Send a message via Yahoo to Planeswalker9
Robotech 1st gen. is MACROSS. the one Rick Hunter's the hero
Old 10-03-2001, 03:38 PM   #8   [permalink]
Sakuya
Executive Member

Macross the original TV series I regard as one of the pioneers of mecha anime. I absolutely loved it, of course the animation has aged somewhat but you get that.

Macross Do You Remember Love, I thought was pretty cool as well, the movie did well to complement the TV series and the "update" art compared with it's original TV predecessor was quite welcomed.

Macross II .. er.. yeah.. my personal opinion as soon as they released the Minmei defense system I knew no good was to come of this. I did like the mecha design but they really could've done a lot more with the storyline.

Macross 7, oh my god, what went wrong. Did the animation budget all get spent on food ? I thought this was an insult to the entire Macross genre. Only saving grace I could say was the opening sequence.

Macross 7 Dynamite, oh when will the torture end ? Please the TV series was bad enough.

Macross Plus thank god, I love this series and one of my all time favourites. I loved everything about it and I find it extremely difficult to flaw.

Macross Plus Movie, man I thought the OVAs were awesome, I was wrong this took it a new level, restructuring of the story, added animations scenes. I applaud it.

I hear that they're doing a Macross Plus second series OVA, not too sure on the details but it was mentioned in the Newtype a few months ago, hope it's up to the high standard of it's predecessor.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 08:51 PM   #9   [permalink]
klisis

Do you guys know that there is Macross 7 Trash?

http://www.anime-anime.com -- Your guide to Japanese Animation
http://myanimes.com -- Featuring Anime Links
klisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 09:08 PM   #10   [permalink]
Gabo-kun

Yes, and as the title says, it's trash. That manga is boring as hell. Macross 7 TV and OVAS are a lot better!
Power to the mystery!
Come on feel the power from you and me!
Gabo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 09:12 PM   #11   [permalink]
klisis

What do you want to expect from trash anyway

http://www.anime-anime.com -- Your guide to Japanese Animation
http://myanimes.com -- Featuring Anime Links
klisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 04:44 AM   #12   [permalink]
isamudyson
Forum Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by StramiT
What I wan't to know is the plot difference between the original macross and the macross portion of robotech!
They're pretty much the same especially in the first half of the series. The Protoculture reference is the big difference. In Macross, it is only a reference to the culture and civilization of the Zentraedi's creators mainly things that didn't revolve around war. Also, you never see or know the name of whoever made the Zentraedi. In Robotech, Protoculture is an energy source created from the Flower of Life. You do get to see who made the Zentraedi's makers in Robotech because scenes from the Robotech Masters were added in to help tie in the second series.

Other things that're different are obviously the names of the characters: Hikaru instead of Rick, Misa instead of Lisa etc. The machines in Macross are nuclear powered. The name of the ship is Macross where it's just SDF1 in Robotech. One interesting thing is that in Macross Minmay is spelled the English way while in Robotech it's spelled Minmei, the Japanese way. But basicaly, the plot is roughly the same. A race of war making aliens are overcome by the power of a love song.
Old 11-03-2001, 04:49 AM   #13   [permalink]
isamudyson
Forum Elite

Whoa! There's gonna be a secon Macross Plus OVA !
Old 26-03-2001, 12:09 AM   #14   [permalink]
death
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to death
Quote:
Originally posted by isamudyson
Whoa! There's gonna be a secon Macross Plus OVA !
WHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Me
Life is but a sweet, slow death
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2001, 09:26 AM   #15   [permalink]
Ura
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by StramiT
Basically get rid of anything to do with the Robotech masters.

The original's the greatest by far, then Plus. I like the Minmay songs (in Japanese of course)
Ura is offline   Reply With Quote