Old 17-03-2001, 02:51 AM   #1   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Arrow

Yes the recent 9+ hrs outage was due to a problem with my web host's network provider's provider

here's there explanation by my web host for anyone interested in knowing
Quote:
Subject: 3/16 Network Outage

On Friday, March 16 at approximately 9:10 AM Eastern Time, our Network Operations Center (NOC) provider VDI experienced a severe network outage, that affected all VDI customers, not just Ventures Online.

Below is a press release from VDI regarding this outage:

Press Release

VDI experiences Multiple Network Outages

NEW YORK -- March 16, 2001-Virtual Development Incorporated (VDI), a leading provider of Application Service Provider hosting (ASP), experienced multiple network outages.

This morning at 9:14am EST, Verizon had an OC-12 outage in the Clifton, New Jersey area. This OC-12 provided VDI with their connectivity to various providers such as Level3 and UUNET. Verizon was on location with in 2 hours to correct the problem with the OC-12 multiplexor. Once the OC-12 was restored, connectivity to Level3 and UUNET would not come up properly.

The second problem was that our connectivity didn't establish full routes. During the times when we were down, we were told that at that exact time when VDI went down, other multiple providers went down.

"The network outage we experienced today was unfortunate" said William Jensen, president and co-founder of VDI. He continues, "We are taking all the precautions necessary to make sure an event like this never occurs again." VDI is currently working with Cisco systems, Inc., investigating what appears to be a glitch in the software. By 6:05pm EST, VDI reported that all services had been restored. They are still investigating the root cause of this issue.

This outage did not affect the servers, nor any of the data on the servers, so your information on your accounts has never been at risk. The outage affected only their network connections.

We thank you for your patience and apologize for the inconvenience this outage has caused.

Below is a link to the Ventures Online Customer Support Forum Thread regarding this issue:
http://www.venturesonline.com/forums...s=&threadid=64

Sincerely,

John Burns
www.venturesonline.com
admin@venturesonline.com
Well looks like we're back in business

Old 17-03-2001, 10:25 AM   #2   [permalink]
Rudy Roughnight
Inactive Email Account

Good that it's back online. I was sooo bord that AB was down.
Old 17-03-2001, 10:30 AM   #3   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
i know i startes jonesing for some

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
Old 17-03-2001, 12:19 PM   #4   [permalink]
JetErNyY02
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to JetErNyY02
it's a good thing that i was at the movies..
What do you know about tweetle beetles? well.. When tweetle beetles fight it's called a tweetle beetle battle. And when they battle in a puddle it's a tweetle beetle puddle battle. AND when tweetle beetles battle with paddles in a puddle, they call it a tweetle beetle puddle paddle battle. AND... When beetles battle beetles in a puddle paddle battle and the beetle battle puddle is a puddle in a bottle....they call this a tweetle beetle bottle puddle paddle battle muddle. AND..... When beetles fight these battles in a bottle with their paddles and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles....they call this a muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle bottle paddle battle.
Old 17-03-2001, 06:29 PM   #5   [permalink]
stdio.h
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to stdio.h
I had nothing to do in between lunch and a class. Well...I did, but I didn't WANT to do THAT!
Old 17-03-2001, 10:04 PM   #6   [permalink]
The Sandman
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to The Sandman Send a message via AIM to The Sandman Send a message via Yahoo to The Sandman
Thanx god is back

" Music soothes even the savage beast "
Old 17-03-2001, 10:51 PM   #7   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Talking

Hey, Eva2000! Does this fall under the 0.1% when those hosting companies say they can guarantee 99.9% uptime?
Old 18-03-2001, 01:30 AM   #8   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Drizzten
Hey, Eva2000! Does this fall under the 0.1% when those hosting companies say they can guarantee 99.9% uptime?
yes it does www.venturesonline.com has a 99.5% uptime guarantee so i should be receiving some credit for this long downtime we had.
Old 18-03-2001, 09:57 AM   #9   [permalink]
Asaki Masako
Executive Member

Whew! That's a relief. I thought I was the one who screwed up my computer again Good thing AB's back online. I would've been totally bored otherwise.
a Koala bear(,) .(,)
oh his name(0)_(0)
is Goliath.
Anime rules!!
:goody: "Humans that only think of their survival are lifeforms that are lower than animals" -Quatre
Old 19-03-2001, 11:51 PM   #10   [permalink]
bbc0
Banned

it happened again today
Old 20-03-2001, 12:45 AM   #11   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by bbc0
it happened again today
thanks bbc0 i got to look into this... how long ago and for how long was it down ?