Old 07-05-2001, 02:27 AM   #1   [permalink]
Maccy99
Forum Addicted

American Animation and Dub VA's

Is it just me or do American animation and Voice actors seem to be getting better. It seems that they are finally seeing that character depth and development is good for an animated show. Disney's animations slowly get more and more mature but still get no respect or recognition from anime fans or mainstream society. And shows like batman beyond and this new show called Zeta on the WB kids are pretty mature compared to shows on just a few years ago. The only thing that's still a little stupid is the EXTREMELY episodic nature in American cartoons. But the saturday morning show called Zeta has a pretty compact and original storyline.

As far as American voice actors go they seem to be getting much better every year. I think they're learning how to do the depth required to do mature animations, be it Japanese or American. Hasn't anyone else noticed that the quality of dubs get better and better with every one(Not that I'm a dub hater.) Pretty soon their won't be anything for dub haters to whine about.:
Maccy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 10:04 AM   #2   [permalink]
Celes Chere

Send a message via Yahoo to Celes Chere
Although I most whole-heartedly prefer subtitles now, I used to be a devoted dub fan in my early years. I'll agree with you that some VAs are extremely good. Mainly the ones who can actually portray emotion. I felt the dub track for Arslan Senki was done extremely well with GOOD actors ^_^ (But the original dub track was made a few years back so I don't think it helps your argument much). The only down side was that they messed with the story line doing it. Also In Slayers TV there are probably one or two good actors for the characters (the VA for Lina and Zelgadis, and Rachel Lillis' many roles) every one else, well ... ^^;;; I dislike most of the dub from Bakuretsu Hunters, however I felt Carrot's voice did a good job. And the most recent dub I've seen was the english track on my Mahou Tsukai Tai! DVD. It didn't suck like I was expecting it too, but it was a great example of how a new voice can actually change the way a character is portrayed (They made Aburatsobu TOO feminine).
Shuichi: What are you talking about?! He's a guy -
Hiro: You can't help it.
Shuichi: !
Hiro: Ah~ I've been keeping you all to myself up to now... and giving you away to another man... How sad...
Shuichi: Hi... Hiro. You... I'm sorry, I didn't notice until now.
Hiro: All I want is for you to be happy... (smirking) Hurry up and tell him you like him!
Shuichi: O_o ...

~Gravitaiton TV episode 1
(translation by Ochiba Anime)
Celes Chere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 10:15 AM   #3   [permalink]
Neojin
Forum Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Neojin Send a message via AIM to Neojin
I'm prob one of the few people who prefers some VOs to Original...

Like Lina on slayers...Japanese is WAY too whiney.

*waits for the sticks and other sharp pointy objects*
Old 07-05-2001, 10:22 AM   #4   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
there are lots of good dubs for anime, trigun, G Wing, ranma, tenchi, Dual, etc. as for american va's getting good, i think thats just the way it is, becuase its done by american people with american style etc, so the VA's just relate to their own culture, opposed to relating japanese culture as my reason for why most dubs suck.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 02:26 PM   #5   [permalink]
Maccy99
Forum Addicted

I know this has been said a million times before but I think anime fans are a bit stupid when it comes to judging dubs. Most dubs are OK. I think the problem anime fans have with dubs are the fact that they are english. They just like to say "I watch subs in Japanese, I'm special." I watch subs more than dubs but I don't PREFER either. I have a question, if an American voice is annoing how do you know that the Jap isn't. The inflection in their language is completely different from ours. I'm not finished with this post but I have to go.
Old 07-05-2001, 02:34 PM   #6   [permalink]
cloakactive
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to cloakactive
I just prefer subs b/c the japanese v/a portray how the character voice was supoosed to be portrayed. Also (depending on who did the translation job) the subtitles are more accurate in translations then the dubs are.

Ok... just so i that this still stays in topic. American animation and their VAs are getting somewhat better. But theres still a lot of garbage shows being produced by the animation studios. For every good show theres at least 4 bad shows to go along with it.

Ok thats my two cents on this subject. Good Afternoon.

I bid 30,000$ on Nairohe... and I've got the bruises to show for it. :lol:
cloakactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 03:19 PM   #7   [permalink]
isamudyson
Forum Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Maccy99
I have a question, if an American voice is annoing how do you know that the Jap isn't. The inflection in their language is completely different from ours.
I brought that point up somewhere else and the sub fans ate me alive.

I grew up watching anime in Japanese with no subtitles. It was all you could get. You were really lucky if it was subbed. Dubbed would have been out of the question.It just didn't exist unless it was Starblazers or something like that. Sometimes you had no clue what was happening but it was still cool to watch.

BTW I saw Akira that way. I didn't know what was going on except there were a bunch of bike punks, lots of army dudes beating everyone up, lots of weird stuff at the end, and that one guy was named Kaneda and the other was Tetsuo, since they yelled their names a couple of hundred times. Project A-Ko was anither one I saw like that, although the dialouge is that important in that one.

These days I tend to watch dubbed because the good Dolby 5.1 tracks are only in English. Also I've gotten lazy in my old age. Why read when you can hear? But seriously, with DVD you can listen to both. If a series is good then I'll watch it later in Japanese.

So I guess I turned into a dubbed person.

Oh yeah, the VA's are getting better because there's more money put into it now.

Last edited by isamudyson; 07-05-2001 at 03:21 PM.
isamudyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 04:32 PM   #8   [permalink]
chasta
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to chasta Send a message via AIM to chasta Send a message via MSN to chasta Send a message via Yahoo to chasta
One of the thing about DVDs is that I can watch both. When I in front of the TV and giving it my full attention, I watch the subs. When I'm washing dishes and am all the way across the room, I put on the dubbed. I dunno, makes sense to me.

I agree that America VA's are getting better, but I'm thinking that it's because more money is being put into it so they can actually afford the talented people now. I really don't like a lot of the American cartoons on TV (but then again, I haven't seen that many either...) I think that Batman's pretty cool though.
Old 07-05-2001, 04:57 PM   #9   [permalink]
Magnus9
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Magnus9 Send a message via MSN to Magnus9
there are some very good dubs out there...but there are also a whole **** load of bad ones. and sometimes the american VA's voice just doesnt match with the character. Or is hella annoying!! take eva for instance. I refuse to watch it in english now because of the terrible voices they used for Shinji and Asuka. Talk about bad!!!! Shinjis voice is whiny and sounds so terrible...especially when hes trying to sound mad. and asuka has the voice of a 40 year old. actually i believe the voice is 40 years old...

Life is Peachy
Magnus9
Magnus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 06:50 PM   #10   [permalink]
Maccy99
Forum Addicted

I love Shinji's voice. I think the Eva dub is a good one. Shinji a whiny character. And like I said before, how can you know the Jap VA isn't annoying to Japanese people. I have been learning Japanese for two years. I'm pretty good at learning vocab and the like but I can't speak very well because the inflection is sooo wierd. I hate to think what my accent sounds like to Japanese people. As far as DVD's go, I don't have one and don't plan on getting one anytime soon. They cost too much and they don't record. When they make a player that can record and costs less than 500 bucks I'll consider it.

As for the way the anime was originally suppose to be, I think that it was originally meant to be in the persons language. How many Japanese people bend over backwards to watch Jurassic Park or the Matrix.

And this thread isn't just about VA's. Hasn't anyone noticed new movies like Titan A.E., Atlantis, and Eldorado. Don't you think Disney's trying to make more mature shows?
Old 07-05-2001, 08:38 PM   #11   [permalink]
cloakactive
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to cloakactive
Quote:
Originally posted by Maccy99
And this thread isn't just about VA's. Hasn't anyone noticed new movies like Titan A.E., Atlantis, and Eldorado. Don't you think Disney's trying to make more mature shows?

DISNEY IS THE MOST EVIL ANIMATION STUDIO IN EXISTENCE

All they know how to do is distort historical figures and brainwash little children.

I bid 30,000$ on Nairohe... and I've got the bruises to show for it. :lol:
cloakactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 09:31 PM   #12   [permalink]
Celes Chere

Send a message via Yahoo to Celes Chere
Quote:
Originally posted by cloakactive

DISNEY IS THE MOST EVIL ANIMATION STUDIO IN EXISTENCE

All they know how to do is distort historical figures and brainwash little children.
oi, oi, Myself being a huge history buff, I'll agree completely -_-... what are they gonna do to dear old Atlantis?... *sigh* Plato must be rolling in his grave...
Shuichi: What are you talking about?! He's a guy -
Hiro: You can't help it.
Shuichi: !
Hiro: Ah~ I've been keeping you all to myself up to now... and giving you away to another man... How sad...
Shuichi: Hi... Hiro. You... I'm sorry, I didn't notice until now.
Hiro: All I want is for you to be happy... (smirking) Hurry up and tell him you like him!
Shuichi: O_o ...

~Gravitaiton TV episode 1
(translation by Ochiba Anime)
Celes Chere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 08:11 AM   #13   [permalink]
Maccy99
Forum Addicted

Ooooookay. You must have forgotten all the times anime distorted history. All the legends they mutated or created anew. Legends are fun. History is fun to change a little. Disney tries to make shows that are enjoyable to their current audience, right now they seem to see that anime like shows are enjoyable and profitable.

So I'll ask one more time and that's it. Has no one noticed this? A few years ago all we got was the lion king and slowly came Tarzan and then the slew of movies that are coming out now. They're moving away from the little talking animals and no one hs noteiced this?! If not, then the anime community is a little more closed minded then I thought and had better give up on anime ever gaining any amount of huge power base in the west.