Old 14-06-2001, 04:30 PM   #1   [permalink]
DrZepp
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to DrZepp Send a message via AIM to DrZepp
*ahem* Kare Kano

........ just finished watching it. I realize my reaction to the whole series is subtle to others i have finished, but the subtlty is killing me in that i am so god damn attached to the characters now.
This anime takes its place in my top..... 3 anime of all time.
For me the show was brilliant, it had a blatant "high school" feel to i, but i felt like i was watching the last two episodes of eva 26 times. What i mean by that is i think the whole series just really delved into the characters minds like i have NEVER seen before.
Oddly enough, the thing going on between Sakura and Tonami (if the subtitles got their names correct.... i know they switched beween Asaba and Asapin a lot hah) might have been my favorite, i just wish they went into it more. Here are some feelings i got from the ending........

Spoilers.
Alright, well i wasnt torn like i was with Berserk, Bebop or Eva, as in i felt happy that at least no one died or broke up or moved away or whatever. There was more story to be told, but they didnt do the ending in such a way that it was a cliff hanger so to speak.
When i saw the end, it suddenly clicked with me, something that they MIGHT have intended, but im not sure. (even if they didnt intend it to be like this, i am still going to think of it the same way hah) anyway, when you see Tonami realizing that he loves Sakura, and then it ends shortly after, i get the feeling that basically the series repeats.... again it goes into the "blossoming of love" like what happened between Yukina and Arima. Basically i see it as somewhat returning to the beggining of the series on a very rough scale, but it almost gives me satisfaction to think this. It almost gives SOME closure, that possibly they were implying that things work out in the end between Tonami and Sakura by hinting that return to the beggining of the series. Almost like those two will walk a similar path that Arima and Yuki did......thats just something i felt.
DrZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2001, 04:37 PM   #2   [permalink]
cloakactive
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to cloakactive
Karekano is definitly up there as a great show..... I finished this show sometime last year..... If Yumiko posts up here I'll prolly have something to add to what she says.... Untill then I'll just say that the anime is a great show, but I prefer the Manga much much more (especially since its still ongoing. )

I bid 30,000$ on Nairohe... and I've got the bruises to show for it. :lol:
cloakactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2001, 06:16 PM   #3   [permalink]
random1377
Forum Elite

Location: In a dark, angsty corner, loathing myself for all my failures.
Send a message via ICQ to random1377 Send a message via AIM to random1377 Send a message via Yahoo to random1377
Kare Kano is also in my top three.... at number one. This is the best anime I've ever seen, BUT.... it doesn't have an ending. Many of the issues are left unresolved (Arima's personality fracturing, Sakura and... ummm that other guy , the play they were working on -- but never showed... and the final words flashed up onscreen: His and Hers circumstances will continue!)

I keep hoping for a second season, or at least a movie to wrap up all that was left undone. But even WITH these imperfections, it is still light-years ahead of much of the anime out today in terms of character depth and emotional value.

I'm buying the DVDs as soon as they're out.

P.S. I had not thought of your analasys of Sakura and ummm... that one guy (I WILL remember his name one day, damnit, I WILL!) repeating what Yukino and Arima went through... but I agree, it does give a much better sense of closure to the series.... but I still want a sequel to wrap up all the other loose plot lines.

Last edited by random1377; 14-06-2001 at 06:19 PM.
random1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2001, 06:17 PM   #4   [permalink]
DrZepp
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by cloakactive
Untill then I'll just say that the anime is a great show, but I prefer the Manga much much more (especially since its still ongoing. )
i thought the manga was finished

Anyway do you have any details on it? Differences between the anime, character developement ect. ect.
Old 14-06-2001, 06:26 PM   #5   [permalink]
Yumiko
Forum Addicted

did i hear my name being called??

hmm.... it is definitely among my top 6 anime. i only have 6 faves at least. all of them are shoujo because thats my tastes.

well, in anime, i prefer human interaction over a plot where many things happen. (i'm stupid, i get confused easily) Karekano was an utmost example of how humans really interact with each other. its beautiful. and kawaii... and Asapin is SOOOOOO cute!!! the character development was very well done. as we got to know each of the characters quite well.

As for the relationship of Arima-kun and Yukino, its absolutely adorable... but still realistic. Its not fantasized. It seems a bit like Benedick and Beatrice's relationship from 'Much Ado about Nothing', beginning with hate, and turning into love. Their relationship is not purely infatuation however. they do put in some logic into their relationship. They the characters as they got together changed slightly and slowly as they helped each other grow emotionally and got to understand each other and themselves. Although Arima makes it seem like he would fall apart without Yukino, the ending Yukino states, although she loves Arima and for now wants to be with him forever and grow with him. She also understands that people change and that they might not feel this way forever. That is so true. I do believe in love.

This is a much more in depth look at relationships than those of other shoujo animes like Fushigi Yuugi. This anime deals with characters slightly older than those of most shoujo manga heroines (and have iq's WAY higher than many) which makes me feel like i can portray myself onto the characters better. I'm not exactly a fan of anime (FY in particular) where the main character(also incredibly stupid character) utters the words 'I love you' at the tender age of 14.

now, onto my less indepth analysis of this anime:

PeroPero has gotta be the coolest dog in anime.... he(she?) is wicked no?

as for the ending, it sorta left you hangin there, cuz well.. they ran outta material cuz the manga had not progressed that far yet.

I loved the OP where they had a girl sing by herself at first, and when the episodes progressed and the characters go together, it became a duet.... aww ^^;;
Yumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2001, 07:12 PM   #6   [permalink]
Kano Miyazawa
Executive Member

Kare Kano is one of my favorite animes EVER. The entire series had such depth, it's obvious it was made by Gainax. I'm not really a shoujo fan (I don't really like sappy stuff...) but I loved Kare Kano. The whole anime was so sweet, yet realistic and deep. The relationship between Yukino and Arima wasn't a sappy, magical romance, it was more like a real relationship. ^_^ So many animes ae based on fantasy; Kare Kano's hint of realism makes it unique.

Plus, teh characters are so likeable. Per Pero is my fave SD dog ever! I even love Yukino's sisters. Kano (...se username^^) is great with her manga depictions of Yukino's love life.

I agree with you about the attempt to make some closure at the ending by hinting at Sakura and Tonami's relationship...but I still wish there could have been more of an ending. I would love if there could be a movie or a second season of some sort. I haven't read the manga (though I would love to) and I really want to know what happens with Arima.

Last edited by Kano Miyazawa; 14-06-2001 at 07:17 PM.
Kano Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2001, 07:13 PM   #7   [permalink]
cloakactive
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by DrZepp

i thought the manga was finished

Anyway do you have any details on it? Differences between the anime, character developement ect. ect.
The manga is not finished yet. The anime is very close to the manga (surprisingly) IMHO, but there were sections here and there that they left out.... the Anime didn't go into the play (which by the way rocked! go read the manga ) They didn' put Kazuma into the story line too much... he was featured for only like what... 2 episodes? He should have been in more eps! Kazuma was definitely totally cool.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yumiko
PeroPero has gotta be the coolest dog in anime.... he(she?) is wicked no?
Definitely up there as a cool dog.... rather weird. At time it appears pero pero actually has thought... then again pero pero is just not really there most of the other times..... pero pero is just funny... plain and simple.

Last edited by cloakactive; 14-06-2001 at 07:15 PM.
Old 14-06-2001, 10:27 PM   #8   [permalink]
DrZepp
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Is the manga being relased in the US? I assume it isnt, but i could be wrong since i am not up to date with mangas (mainly beause i can never get a hold of them)
If it isnt releasd here.... do you know of any fan tanslating places to find it? I dont know if this is against foum rules to post the site names here (i would imagine it is but im not 100% sure with mangas) but *cough*just PM me*cough* if you know of any places

And your right, i realize now how upset i was that Kazuma wasnt in the anime more...... damn i thought he would become friends with everyone. I sort of wish they returned to the some other characters stories a bit more, i imagine they get into Tonami and Sakura in the manga. And also *smacks forhead* i wanted to see the festival really bad *prays for another series*
Old 14-06-2001, 11:48 PM   #9   [permalink]
cloakactive
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

While it hasn't been confirmed.... there is rumor that once the manga hits #14 (currently we are on number 10) that Gainax may produce a second season..... lets hope that turns into reality.

As for karekano being released here in the states... nope just Japanese Manga. You could search anipike and find usefull links there.....

Old 17-06-2001, 02:16 PM   #10   [permalink]
chasta
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to chasta Send a message via AIM to chasta Send a message via MSN to chasta Send a message via Yahoo to chasta
I hope the manga comes to the U.S. I'm betting the artwork is gorgeous.

Uh, spoilers...maybe(?)

I think the only thing about the end of Kare Kano that I felt was unresolved was Arima. He seemed like he was going a little nuts to me. Miyazawa seemed like she really had it together by the end, but Arima seemed like it was totally losing it.

Ah maybe it's not a total spoiler, but I would rather be safe than spoil it for someone else.
Old 17-06-2001, 02:59 PM   #11   [permalink]
cloakactive
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by chasta

I think the only thing about the end of Kare Kano that I felt was unresolved was Arima. He seemed like he was going a little nuts to me. Miyazawa seemed like she really had it together by the end, but Arima seemed like it was totally losing it.

Ah maybe it's not a total spoiler, but I would rather be safe than spoil it for someone else.
Actually, IMHO it felt like Arima never had it together to begin with in the first place. Yea he seemed cool and collected but in the third episode you could tell that there was something really messed up about him and it was shown and confirmed. Towards the end i felt that it was more of an affirmation that, yes, he does not have it together. Well, thats the way i feel about it.

Old 17-06-2001, 07:31 PM   #12   [permalink]
The cruel angel's thesis
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to The cruel angel's thesis Send a message via AIM to The cruel angel's thesis Send a message via Yahoo to The cruel angel's thesis
Yeah, Arima was always messed up, but I think at the end of the series he seemed to be really losing it. I wonder how he turns out...*scratches chin*
Old 18-06-2001, 10:48 PM   #13   [permalink]
chasta
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to chasta Send a message via AIM to chasta Send a message via MSN to chasta Send a message via Yahoo to chasta
Quote:

Actually, IMHO it felt like Arima never had it together to begin with in the first place. Yea he seemed cool and collected but in the third episode you could tell that there was something really messed up about him and it was shown and confirmed. Towards the end i felt that it was more of an affirmation that, yes, he does not have it together. Well, thats the way i feel about it.

Hm, I think you're right. No one is that good! I always did wonder what would become of Arima later though. The rate he was going, he'd end up in a nice padded room without his shoelaces.
Old 18-06-2001, 10:51 PM   #14   [permalink]
cloakactive
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Well so far hes just as psychotic in the manga as he was last portrayed in the anime (if not just a little bit more so now in the manga ). Seriously, if you have the means i highly suggest picking up the manga!

Old 19-06-2001, 10:18 AM   #15   [permalink]
chasta
Executive Member

Quote:
Well so far hes just as psychotic in the manga as he was last portrayed in the anime (if not just a little bit more so now in the manga ). Seriously, if you have the means i highly suggest picking up the manga!
Dumb question, but is it translated yet? I think I might take your advice on that one!