Old 30-10-2001, 02:59 PM   #1   [permalink]
TradeMark
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to TradeMark
Drizzt Do'Urden

Just curious as to who has read through some of RA Salvatores series, i see a few quotes in sigs n such (hell even a [i[name[/i]) out of his books. Recently i picked up my copy of Spine of the World after about a year of not reading any fantasy and was once again pulled into the world. Unfortunetly i followed that with an oppertune trip to borders and am sad to say my wallet moaned as i picked up the rest of the series (Servant of the Shard, Passage to Dawn, Silent Blade, UnderDark trilogy) to add to what i already had... i got a wee bit of reading to do soon, eh?

Really i think what set this series apart from other works were the essays from the 'mind' of Drizzt, the debating and explaining he himself went through in defining his world. Fleshed out both the character and the story by getting into the mind of the Drow.

Anyone else?
Old 30-10-2001, 05:24 PM   #2   [permalink]
Nagha's revenge
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Nagha's revenge
Damn you TM I've been searching for those books forever !! Damn your black heart !!!!

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."

-- Gandhi
Old 30-10-2001, 05:26 PM   #3   [permalink]
Nagha's revenge
Forum Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Nagha's revenge
Damn you TM I've been searching for those books forever !! Damn your black heart !!!!
P.s. 'There'(or 'here' in your case) isn't an exact description of where you are you actually need to add 'now' as well .

Sorry that's just been buggin' me for a while now .

-- Gandhi
Old 30-10-2001, 08:09 PM   #4   [permalink]
Kannibal

Send a message via ICQ to Kannibal Send a message via AIM to Kannibal
Aaah... The Drizzt saga !!!

You probably expected Drizzten to show up there, but I guess he mustn't be very far behind...

I've read them all... And here's what I think about them.

===============

- The Crystal Shard
Synopsis : An apprentice wizard is controlled by an ancient evil artifact who wants to take over the world.
Will our dark elf hero and his companions manage to thwart its evil designs ?
Hack'n'Slash quotient : acceptable
Overall impression : The beginning is a bit slow at first, but when you finally get to Wulfgar's adulthood, the story draws you in.

- Streams Of Silver
Synopsis : Our heroes embark on a perilous quest to reclaim Bruenor's lost throne.
Entreri, Drizzt's nemesis makes his appearance.
Overall impression : a lost king, perilous treks, lots of heroics, this one has a definite Tolkien atmosphere to it.

- The Halfling's Gem
Synopsis : Entreri kidnapped Regis the halfling ! Certain daeath awaits him when he reaches his destination.
The companions rush to his aid. Will they be in time ? Ack !
Overall impression : a refreshing story, taking us southwards along the coast. Still, it's the worse of the three

===============

- Homeland
Synopsis : We go back decades earlier, starting with the day Drizzt was born, and how he came to flee his homeland.
Hack'n'Slash quotient : high
Overall impression : probably one of the best books of the whole series.

- Exile
Synopsis : Drizzt has fled his city and wanders aimlessly in the dark. Will he lose himself and become a cruel predator, or will his encounters with denizens of the underdark bring back a measure of humanity ?
Overall impression : a bit lengthy at times, but some truly dramatic moments.

- Sojourn
Synopsis : Drizzt has finally fled to the surface. Hated by his kin, hated by the surface dwellers, will he survive and find acceptance ?
Hack'n'Slash quotient : low
Overall impression : VERY good book, one of the best. Lots of character development. Some truly moving moments.

===============

- The Legacy
Synopsis : Just after "The Halfing's Gem", Wulfgar and Cattie-Brie are getting married in Mithril Hall ! Yay !
But a deadly threat comes from below.
Hack'n'Slash quotient : Very high
Overall impression : for hack'n'slash fans

- Starless Night
Synopsis : Wanting to protect his friends from further harm, Drizzt decides to return to Menzoberranzan and take his fight there. There he will meet friends... And enemies.
Hack'n'Slash quotient : high and against impossible odds
Overall impression : although this book is very enjoyable, the ending fight is a bit overkill though. I'll let you judge by yourself.
If you like 100 to 1 odds and like munchkin fights, this one is for you.

- Siege of Darkness
Synopsis : Life slowly goes back to normal in Mithril Hall, but a deadly threat comes from below.
Hack'n'Slash quotient : ridiculously high
Overall impression : some good storytelling at the beginning, then hack'n'slash, hack'n'slash and hack'n'slash.

===============

- Passage to Dawn
Synopsis : Drizzt and Cattie Brie go pirate hunting on the sea. But the underdark is never far behind, and soon Drizzt's past catches up with him, once more.
Overall impression : More outdoors action, until Salvadore decides it is time for a cross-over with another one of his sagas : The Cleric Quintet.
Yup, Cadderly and his troupe show up in this book. This is rather lame, since it allows them to get back quickly and safely to Icewind Dale, thus crossing half the realms in one spell.
After that, it just another hack'n'slash ending.

- The Silent Blade
Synopsis : Wulfgar has been brought back from the dead, and is having serious Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Drizzt is heading back to Cadderly to destroy the crystal shard.
Entreri comes back to Calimport and enters a web of intrigue and betrayals (again)
Overall impression : 3 separate stories in one book. A good concept, except that the thread connecting them is very thin.
Oh, and the duel at the end... Well, it's just one more duel, or is it ?
Something horrible happens, though... Oh my god ? Is this possible ?

===============

- The Spine of the World
Synopsis : a Wulfgar story. No Drizzt, no Entreri, no one else but Wulfgar and some companions he picked up along the way. A story on how Wulfgar finally comes back to life.
Hack'n'Slash quotient : low
Overall impression : well... After all, Wulfgar deserved some character development, since he's been absent all this time.
Too bad, we don't have this kind of book with Cattie Brie.

- Servant of The Shard
Synopsis : Jarlaxle stole the Crystal Shard. Will he succumb to the evil power, or will Entreri save him ?
Hack'n'Slash quotient : average
Overall impression : an Entreri and Jarlaxle story, this means more character interaction, until Cadderly and his clique make another major appearance.
Too bad, as it kinda spoils a really enjoyable story.

===============

To conclude quickly :
- The first two trilogies are the best books.
- The other ones are mostly hack'n'slash.

It's late, and I can't come up with anything else.

Maybe tomorrow...
Old 30-10-2001, 10:25 PM   #5   [permalink]
TradeMark
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to TradeMark
Mmm thats a damn fine list you've got there Kannibal, but i must say i enjoyed Servant of the Shard immensily, finding it to be one of the best in the series even though Drizzt himself was restricted to simply essays. Entreri has developed into my favortie character in the series (well aside from perhaps Guen) as i feel he really has given an interesting look into the world, I'm quite surprised he's turned out the way he has.

And yes the damn stuff with Cadderly is a cop out, they really don't add to the story, though i must admit to the multibattles in the cave of Hepheastus as being a highlight in the entire series for grasping individual characters (Jarlaxle's "Have you met my new friend?" was quite hilarious.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nagha's revenge

P.s. 'There'(or 'here' in your case) isn't an exact description of where you are you actually need to add 'now' as well .

Sorry that's just been buggin' me for a while now .
Actually the 'now' is inconsequential as the moment the words leave my mouth the situation they are under desginates that precise moment. heh
Old 31-10-2001, 12:14 AM   #6   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
What? What? Who? Where?

Yeah, I've been a big fan of Salvatore's work with the Drizzt series for the last few years. Shamefully, I've only read the Dark Elf Trilogy (Homeland, Exile, Sojourn) all the way through...many many times...I was reading the Icewind Dale Trilogy (The Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver, The Halfling's Gem) but was interrupted by a slightly more important book. I plan on finishing the Dale trilogy as soon as I'm done. I have only seen the covers for the last three.

I was introduced to Drizzt through Homeland. The moral strength of the book was amazing. At the time, I was an avid AD&D player, so reading the book was a double treat...I was participating in Drizzt's past AND learning about the Drow. Each book afterwards was better and better. I thouroughly empathize with the guy, the problems he faces, and the questions he puts to himself.

Hell, I even got my MOM interested in the series! She had thought that those "fantasy novels" were light reading. After finishing the first two, the look in her eyes as she asked for the third said otherwise.
Old 31-10-2001, 05:36 AM   #7   [permalink]
Kannibal

Send a message via ICQ to Kannibal Send a message via AIM to Kannibal
Quote:
Originally posted by Drizzten
Hell, I even got my MOM interested in the series! She had thought that those "fantasy novels" were light reading. After finishing the first two, the look in her eyes as she asked for the third said otherwise.
True, true ! I've converted 5 people, including my brother, to the dark elf saga.

The last one I gave it to read the whole saga in less than 2 months...
The poor fellow was so addicted to it that he asked me to give him the first trilogy again, so that he could re-read it.

After a good night's sleep, here are some more of my thoughts...

I have read The Drizzt saga countless times. It is, by far, my favorite book collection.

And, though I re-read them with fascination and excitement each time, I really have to point out is that Drizzt is too perfect.

If I was playing AD&D, I'd classify him as a "Class A Munchkin".
He's an expert swordsman, he's got a shitload of powerful magical items, and he's extremely intelligent and reasonably wise.
He scares the crap out of standard folks and is respected by the strong and/or influent ones.

As an avid AD&D player, I've been confronted to players who had read the books, and wanted to play a scimitar-wielding dark elf beating the snot out of the bad guys.

Drizzt embodies tolerance, courage, devotion, stoicism and hope.
I can only regret that there are so many combat scenes in the second half of the trilogy. Even if they're spectacular, they lessen the emotional impact of the books.
Old 31-10-2001, 05:41 AM   #8   [permalink]
Nagha's revenge
Forum Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by TradeMark
Actually the 'now' is inconsequential as the moment the words leave my mouth the situation they are under desginates that precise moment. heh
Well on it's own it is. But so is here. Cuz when you say here the second it leaves your mouth it is no longer 'here' as you live in an dynamic world that is constanly changing. So the concept here is just as fleeting as the concept now. Actually you need to have a single sign/word that states here and now. For that only defines your exact location in space and time. Of course in a stagnant world the statement 'here' would be sufficient.

Anyway I'm waay of topic. I would like to thank everyone for posting I'm going shoping . Thx !

-- Gandhi
Old 31-10-2001, 11:58 PM   #9   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Quote:
Says Kannibal:
And, though I re-read them with fascination and excitement each time, I really have to point out is that Drizzt is too perfect.
You do have a point. He's a goody-two-shoes and gets bogged down in his own morals during times of crisis. But I still admire the character.

On a similiar note, try reading The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. That is one kick-ass fantasy series that has many of the elements the Drizzt series has, but it's much more epic in scope and design.
Old 02-11-2001, 03:19 PM   #10   [permalink]
Bacchi

Send a message via ICQ to Bacchi Send a message via AIM to Bacchi Send a message via Yahoo to Bacchi
I've never actually read the books myself (my boyfriend keeps on urging me to read Dragonlance, Lord of the Rings, and Wheel of Time). However, I keep noticing that in my "gaming group" (the RPGA) and beyond that people have the urge to play Drizzt characters, good little drow that like to help people. People keep telling me that they're really annoyed by that, and that Drizzt should be unique. ^_^;;