Old 20-03-2002, 04:30 PM   #121   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Nairohe Send a message via Yahoo to Nairohe
read:

http://www.msen.com/~litman/dayton.htm

http://www.2learn.ca/copyright/images.html

http://www3.utsystem.edu/ogc/Intelle...erty/image.htm

From what I understand 'fanart' is using 'someone else's idea' although who ever made the art still owns or has rights to that image because he/she created it.

will add more later.
Old 20-03-2002, 04:32 PM   #122   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
But we are still selling the image and likeness of properties we don't own for profit, are we not?

But Miko has said that only original characters should be used. This begs me to ask, should everyone go and copyright what they plan to use?
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2002, 04:38 PM   #123   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

methinks they've recently changed the laws. it states that anything that was created 'labeled' or 'not' around 1980... something is officially copyrighted by whoever made it. it's somewhere. too lazy to go look for it now.

so yes, all original characters are copyright their respective artists. those who are going to participate will be 'lending' their art and will choose what to do what they want with their submission... blah.
Old 20-03-2002, 04:40 PM   #124   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

I'll look it up since I have to for when CAT and I publish our stuff.
Old 20-03-2002, 04:56 PM   #125   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

I've got it.

As soon as it is created, a person or a company that has rights to decide what happens with it. The copyright symbol is just a way of reminding people about the owner's rights. The registration of a copyright at the Office of Copyright at the Library of Congress, gives an owner of the art rights a stronger legal argument if they have to go to Court.

Usually you see the copyright©, the date of publication , the owner or artist's name at the bottom of the artwork.

Copyrights are really many different property rights. These rights can be sold separately by the original artist or company. The original artist or owner is called the "author". These rights make all creative work valuable beyond just the sale of art work. Since being creative is valuable, the copyright and patent laws are made to encourage more people to be artistic or creative and make our world better.

• the right to copy the art work
  • the right to display or perform the work
  • the right to distribute the work This means to sell the art work to other businesses and customers.
  • the right to use the work to make other things using the work.

Who Can Claim The Right To A Copyright?
Not everyone can claim rights to art. If someone makes a piece of art, the artist automatically has copyrights. The art or writing is owned by the artist but an artist has stronger legal rights in Court if the copyright is registered at the Office of Copyrights. A copyright helps an artist keep control of artwork wherever it is used with less fear that someone will take it illegally.
Minors or people under the age of 16 can claim copyrights. But, in some places there are laws against it, meaning minors can not claim the full right for a copyright.

Copyrights or Intellectual Property is owned by the the person who
created the art work EXCEPT when:

-The work is created by an employee of a company. This is called a "work made for hire".
-When an artist is asked to make art work for a company and signs a "work for hire agreement".
This is called a "commissioned work".
-The artist sells all of the copyrights to a business. The artists should still be credited on the artwork.
-Sometimes a group of people create artwork. The group is called "co-authors".

http://library.thinkquest.org/J00157...rightinfo.html
Old 20-03-2002, 04:59 PM   #126   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nairohe
I've got it.
Copyrights are really many different property rights. These rights can be sold separately by the original artist or company. The original artist or owner is called the "author". These rights make all creative work valuable beyond just the sale of art work. Since being creative is valuable, the copyright and patent laws are made to encourage more people to be artistic or creative and make our world better.

Who Can Claim The Right To A Copyright?
Not everyone can claim rights to art. If someone makes a piece of art, the artist automatically has copyrights. The art or writing is owned by the artist but an artist has stronger legal rights in Court if the copyright is registered at the Office of Copyrights. A copyright helps an artist keep control of artwork wherever it is used with less fear that someone will take it illegally.
Minors or people under the age of 16 can claim copyrights. But, in some places there are laws against it, meaning minors can not claim the full right for a copyright.
Registration is what I'm thinking would be useful for the calender but that is up to the artist. I think this should be put in a read me thread since it is pretty durn useful information for those of us who don't want our work stolen. Let's hope that North Dakota allows minors to register for copyright @_@
Old 20-03-2002, 05:02 PM   #127   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Project Akira

Registration is what I'm thinking would be useful for the calender but that is up to the artist. I think this should be put in a read me thread since it is pretty durn useful information for those of us who don't want our work stolen. Let's hope that North Dakota allows minors to register for copyright @_@
how old are you? no wait... meep. I'll go around and look for info on how it goes on other countries. I'm not knowledgable of how it goes with 'anime' in question but people have used over and over 'without' permission anime graphics to decorate websites. I think i can cover a few laws in California and Southeast Asia.
Old 20-03-2002, 05:06 PM   #128   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

I'm older than 16 and I live in North Carolina, but my business partner who lives in North Dakota isn't at the moment.

And in regards to that, I would suspect what they are doing if they did not give credit in some way or shape, would be illegal. But copyright laws maybe different in Japan than in North Carolina, so maybe AB should have a copyright revision rule possibly.
Old 20-03-2002, 05:22 PM   #129   [permalink]
Yasei Chi
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Yasei Chi
So Miko, if you're actually printing off the calendars and mailing them out, how are we working out the months that have more than one artist? Are people still going to be able to choose (like in an order form), or are you making a sort of collage of images, or are we voting on images...?
Old 20-03-2002, 05:23 PM   #130   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

copyrights in japan. I should sue them for using one of my postcards... nggg

http://www.cric.or.jp/cric_e/
Old 20-03-2002, 07:05 PM   #131   [permalink]
Israfel
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Israfel Send a message via AIM to Israfel Send a message via Yahoo to Israfel
Quote:
Originally posted by Kawaii_No_Miko
For Israfel and everyone else who has NOT picked their month yet, choose a month ASAP!

Sorry I need everything done before the 12th April 2002
AHHHH!!! What can I have???
Israfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2002, 07:22 PM   #132   [permalink]
Takeshi-chan
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Takeshi-chan Send a message via MSN to Takeshi-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Takeshi-chan
at first i wanted to do july, but i want to do either a month by myself, or with one other person, not 4! heh, i dont care what month, as long as its summer! heh, i want to do a bathing suit scene. what other summer months are available?? or which are least busy?? i need a summer month! heh, or maybe a spring break month....just a bathing suit month. thats what im best at. thanks a ton! can u let me know asap? thanks again
Takeshi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2002, 11:02 PM   #133   [permalink]
Kawaii Miko
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Location: Aden, Aria Server, Lineage II, Laptop, Boudoir, Shidonii, Oosutaraiya
Send a message via ICQ to Kawaii Miko Send a message via AIM to Kawaii Miko Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Miko
For PA - We have copyright rules here as well. What I'm referring to is it has to be made by you and of original content, NOT made by someone else.

For Yasei Chi - Only four original work will be posted per month And No I'm not planning to do one of those weird collages. I was thinking about doing four versions of the calender but then again, it costs too much to make. So I go for the compact size instead and a collaboration of members' work altogether.

For Takeshi-chan - Deal with it! If you don't want to be part of this then quit.

Sorry I'm being rather strict about this but that's how I'm going to stick to until the end of the project.
Old 21-03-2002, 06:27 AM   #134   [permalink]
Yasei Chi
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Yasei Chi
Quote:
Originally posted by Kawaii_No_Miko
For Yasei Chi - Only four original work will be posted per month And No I'm not planning to do one of those weird collages. I was thinking about doing four versions of the calender but then again, it costs too much to make. So I go for the compact size instead and a collaboration of members' work altogether.
Ok, I think I get it. ^_^

Takeshi-chan, KNM said that she's trying to get about 4 people per month, or so it seemed to me in this deluge of posts. So I guess we all need to be prepared to share a month with 3 other people. ::shrug::
Old 21-03-2002, 10:11 AM   #135   [permalink]
Takeshi-chan
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Takeshi-chan Send a message via MSN to Takeshi-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Takeshi-chan
im really sorry if i sounded like i was demanding, i really wasnt. i was only asking and i understand now. im sorry~! i do want to do the calender, i didnt realize you wanted 4 ppl per month. i still really want to do the calender, please dont think i dont. sorry again!
Takeshi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote