Old 25-01-2002, 08:55 AM   #1   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Nairohe Send a message via Yahoo to Nairohe
Lain Bootleg

Does anyone have any info about this CD? i was randomly browsing the internet and happened upon webistes with 'lain bootleg.' it happens to be volume 2 of the lain sound track. It has about 45 songs (more or less) and includes a CD with a game, lain wallpapers, lain screensavers.

I found one sold online but i wanted to be sure if it was authentic... any info would be very much appreciated.
Old 25-01-2002, 09:00 AM   #2   [permalink]
MP2100
Forum Elite

if you go to the "cartoon gallery" at

http://fm.cartoongallery.com.au/cartoon/default.html

and search for lain you'll get this

Review: Please Note: "Bootleg" is simply the title of this CD. This CD is an officially licensed import CD from Pioneer.
Double CD set (1 CD & 1 CD-ROM) from "Serial Experiments Lain" TV series. The CD contains BGM used on the show. The CD-ROM contains "Clock & Kumauchi" Mini-Theater, OS movie Catalog by Junji Nakahara, character data, screen savers, and other desktop accessories like wallpaper, icon and etc.
Installing in Mac OS, it's OK. But when installing in Windows, you need a modified version installer. http://www.pldc.co.jp/plag/game/lain/laininfo.htm After the download, double click and it starts the defrost automatically.(Refer to the Readme.txt in the lain_ne_in folder.) Released: 4/23/1999. Music composed by Akira Takemoto. Collection: 45 songs, almost complete songs in the 2nd unit show. Comes with a poster and seal.

go there and you'll get price and such

hope it helps

This moment of affirmation was bought to you by-
Genom Corporation - the company of Boomer technology.
MP2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2002, 07:18 PM   #3   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
... opens up my Lain Bootleg box....

Its a 2 CD set of small sound tracks, along with some icons and a page of stickers. A descrptive booklet described the tracks, but it's all in Japanese...
iwakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2002, 07:33 AM   #4   [permalink]
Butters
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Butters
Quote:
Originally posted by MP2100
if you go to the "cartoon gallery" at...
Yeah, lol, I read that bit about 'this is the title, its not actually a bootleg' before. Looks interesting, but I'd rather save my money up for Omnipresence in the Wired
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 06:35 AM   #5   [permalink]
jetalone
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to jetalone Send a message via AIM to jetalone
Oh, that looks sweet....... but $150's pushing it.

Quote:
Butters:
Looks interesting, but I'd rather save my money up for Omnipresence in the Wired
So you've decided to take the plunge, eh?
"Ben touched me very lightly on the shoulder, looked me in the eyes and said, 'What's up?' I said, 'Uh, not much.' Then his hand went down my back a little- more than I was comfortable with. He invited me over to watch movies- I thought. He started, basically, rubbing himself down with baby oil. I was really shocked, I didn't know what to do about it. So, I called up Robert...The rest is history."
-Darren Jessee

P.S. That's Ben Folds, to save me any embarrassment. :heh:

Last edited by Nairohe; 01-02-2002 at 08:04 AM.
jetalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 08:04 AM   #6   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by jetalone
Oh, that looks sweet....... but $150's pushing it.

So you've decided to take the plunge, eh?
I already have that... and its not that hard to get Omnipresence... Hmmm... I guess I'll look around the local Japanese manga stores and see if they have it there. hopefully...
Old 02-02-2002, 11:51 AM   #7   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Quote:
Originally posted by Nairohe

I already have that... and its not that hard to get Omnipresence... Hmmm... I guess I'll look around the local Japanese manga stores and see if they have it there. hopefully...
Might I ask what Omnipresence is?
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 05:23 PM   #8   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

omnipresense is a collection of lain images, promotional posters, character designs, manga fillers, as well as concept sketches. It's an excellent artbook. You absolutely have to have it. ^_^ It's extremely gorgeous...
Old 02-02-2002, 08:44 PM   #9   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Quote:
omnipresense is a collection of lain images, promotional posters, character designs, manga fillers, as well as concept sketches. It's an excellent artbook. You absolutely have to have it. ^_^ It's extremely gorgeous...
Well, 150$ is a hefty price tag for a series I have so and so feelings about… I'll see how cheap it is at the Anime Central con…
-Bishop Oro
Old 02-02-2002, 08:56 PM   #10   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

You're being cheated. At the local manga store I frequent to, its about $50.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:37 PM   #11   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
You're being cheated. At the local manga store I frequent to, its about $50.
Well, unforunatly, I do not have a local manga store… Or at least not one where I am on good terms with the owner… Bastard tried to sell some bootleg items…
-Bishop Oro
Old 30-03-2002, 05:42 PM   #12   [permalink]
iwakura.lain

Send a message via AIM to iwakura.lain
I looked at the site that was posted "The Cartoon Gallery" to check out the picture of it. I found something else though, at a couple different locations...advertising a cd and stating that it was volume 2. Specifically it says "Serial Experiments Lain OST Volume 2, Bootleg." and reads that way on the cover as well. However, the cover doesn't look like it does at that other site (The Cartoon Gallery). It's sort of a pale grey or white background...and the only image is sort of a half-filled-in outline of Lain (it's from the part where she's crossing a cross-walk, and seems to "step out" of herself or something)...with her looking at you. Sorry ahead of time if that's a poor description. Anyways, what's this soundtrack?? Why does this one say bootleg? This cd is only about $10 or $11, so it doesn't seem like it would be the same one.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:08 AM   #13   [permalink]
MyuMyu

There are 3 versions of Lain "Bootleg" out there. One is the legitimate version made by Pioneer that's in a light brown cardboard box and contains 2 CDs, an audio CD and a data CD as was mentioned earlier in this thread. I've seen it sold for $50-70.

The other two versions of "Bootleg" are unlicensed Taiwanese copies of the real "Bootleg":

The one with the catalog number GGG-324 is the one with the white cover and half Lain that you describe. This CD is produced by SonMay.

The one with the purplish picture of Lain sitting on a stage is produced by EverAnime.

These two unlicensed versions of "Bootleg" sell for $10-15.
They are copies of the audio CD only (45 tracks). These versions don't include the data CD.
MyuMyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 06:01 AM   #14   [permalink]
MP2100
Forum Elite

thanks for that MyuMyu i've seen it around and it's good to see know the difference

This moment of affirmation was bought to you by-
Genom Corporation - the company of Boomer technology.
MP2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 02:36 PM   #15   [permalink]
iwakura.lain

Send a message via AIM to iwakura.lain
Thanks very much for the info, I appreciate it.