Old 03-03-2002, 01:28 AM   #1   [permalink]
artificial_man

Send a message via ICQ to artificial_man
RahXephon

I think this anime series just started airing early this year .... I've just seen the first episode and looks pretty promising ... but some of it turned me off .. eg. some scenes reminded my of eva ... the guy screams like Shinji ... as in the episode after the Eva first went berserk ... focused on Shinji's eye then he screamed ... there was another part as well ... there was a scene which flashed a drop of water ... very similar to eva ...

But other than that it looked pretty good ... had some egyptian mythology mixed up with it too ... can't wait to get the next ep
Old 03-03-2002, 11:04 AM   #2   [permalink]
Ngine
Forum Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Ngine
i'm thinking about downloading the first episode. the screenshots at the Rah Xephon homepage sure looked great! but yeah, it seems like it's going to be just another giant robo series, but with very sweet animation!
Old 03-03-2002, 11:19 AM   #3   [permalink]
Kizzim
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kizzim
You think it reminds you of eva now? Ive watched up to episode 4. It just gets worse. I feel like every Evangelion fan is pissed off because the writer refused to continue the series and just ended it, so now they are fighting back by making a bunch of clones. Well, this is a clone I dunno if anyone has seen super atragon, but this movie is like super atragon and evangelion mixed together.

"It has found a voice, now it needs a body."
Kizzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 02:35 PM   #4   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

must resist urge to flame..... must resist

hey guys look at that its an anime and it must copy eva because evas an anime as well!!!!!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 03:24 PM   #5   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
It would be much more enlightening if those of you who have seen this new anime would actually qualify your "it's a clone" remarks. How close is it to NGE, what makes them similar, etc. And mark your spoilers.
Old 03-03-2002, 05:20 PM   #6   [permalink]
Ngine
Forum Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Ngine
well, the thing is that there're allready dozens of Mecha anime series and untill now only EVA seemed to be different from those other giant robo series. and it would be great if Rah X would be different too, but i don't count on it. but hey, you won't hear me complain! i love giant-robo anime, the more the better!
Old 03-03-2002, 05:36 PM   #7   [permalink]
thedarkmarine
Forum Master

Well, why is it a clone?
  • Giant robots
  • POV's exactly like eva
  • Relationship of characters to anime
    Main character = Shinji
    That girl in yellow dress = Rei
    That lady that rescues main character = Misato
    Main character's mom = Gendo
  • Year = 2015

There's more but that's enough.

However, I do feel that's unique enough in it's own ways to be very promising. Ie, Tokyo Jupiter, the designs of stuff are pretty cool (Drone fighters kick ass), and story does not copy eva, just the same style. It gives the same atmosphere and I'm thourghouly enjoying it.

I've seen up to ep4 and ep4 is the best yet. I can't wait for more. O ya, the intro song: Hemisphere kicks ass.
thedarkmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 08:51 PM   #8   [permalink]
klinky
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to klinky
RahXephon seems to follow the "I didn't know I had these powers..." type of plot .You have a normal boy,maybe he's kinda neglected by his parents.Everything is normal until one day the earth is attacked and everyone is like "WTF are we going to do"....he passes out and finds his "soul" or "energy of the gods" and kills all the baddies and everyone is happy. Iam not into animes where there is this "Magic Energy" and no one knows where it comes from.Alot of them explain that a mythical god gave it to them or something lame,where they don't actually need to do any explaining.

I did feel a sense of Misato-ness in that girl that saved him....heheheh

~klinky
klinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 09:21 PM   #9   [permalink]
thedarkmarine
Forum Master

Whatever floats your boat...
Old 03-03-2002, 11:43 PM   #10   [permalink]
suzaku
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to suzaku Send a message via AIM to suzaku Send a message via Yahoo to suzaku
very interesting...
Old 04-03-2002, 01:41 AM   #11   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by thedarkmarine
Well, why is it a clone?
  • Giant robots was eva the first?
  • Relationship of characters to anime
    Main character = Shinji who is an amuro clone anyway (situation not character)
    That girl in yellow dress = Rei no she smiled in the second ep and it took rei much longer to do that
    That lady that rescues main character = Misato misato was obviously the first tough chick anime character who was in the milatary or the like......
    Main character's mom = Gendo parents using their child for some purpose hmmmm thats also been invented by eva
  • Year = 2015

There's more but that's enough.

However, I do feel that's unique enough in it's own ways to be very promising. Ie, Tokyo Jupiter, the designs of stuff are pretty cool (Drone fighters kick ass), and story does not copy eva, just the same style. It gives the same atmosphere and I'm thourghouly enjoying it.

I've seen up to ep4 and ep4 is the best yet. I can't wait for more. O ya, the intro song: Hemisphere kicks ass.
It gives the same atmosphere

That is all it does it has the same atmosphere, is that a bad thing...of course not and hemisphere is a much better song than CAT and i'm sure yoko kanno's ost for this will be superior to evas...

If you wanna go calling things copy then i can say Trigun is a blantant rip off of Rurouni Kenshin and my reasons will be much better than the ones you listed for Eva/Rahxephon.

Last edited by Westlo; 04-03-2002 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:57 PM   #12   [permalink]
thedarkmarine
Forum Master

I forgot to mention, 5 seconds into watching Rah, my eva-fan-freak friend goes: "That's so eva." He was talking about the gates at the very beginning on the aircraft carrier, how they move horizontally, just like in the eva launch sequence.

One more huge similarity: "Welcome Home." ~ep 5.

Don't get me wrong though, I love RahXephon, cause it's like eva, but it's not a rippoff; it's different but with lots of the same elements. I don't know how they do it though. Ep 5 was great. Just focusing on the characters. Lot more light-hearted but you sense underlying problems...just like eva!
Old 12-03-2002, 05:21 PM   #13   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

orignally posted by kizzim

Hahahhaa... Eva is nothing like Gundam, im sorry, just because they both use mecha doesnt make it alike. The mecha work differently have different weapons, and are used differently. Amuro once again is really nothing like Shinji, Amuro doesnt mind fighting, Shinji whines everytime he has to, and Gunbuster, please, gunbuster was done in space, and all i remember from that stupid series was them making some giant like jupiter or black hole and getting sucked in and not comming out for like 80 years at the end.

Atleast if yer going to insult me put a little more thought into it, amature.

I'm continuing this discussion from the fmp request thread

Amuro once again is really nothing like Shinji

I believe Sheex put this best in another thread about the shinji/amuro thing

The fact that the main character is a teenage boy who in the first episode gets into a mecha made by his father while the surrounding city is being destroyed by enemy forces, then is forced into the organization against his will. As the series progresses the main character is put off often as selfish, rude, immature and a 'loser'. Both have little faith in their abilities at the start of the series but eventually become the most important force in the organzation. Both basically commit 'treason' against the organization at once point in the series and both are reprimanded for it by being thrown in a cell. It has nothing to do with the mecha argument, it has everything to do with the fact that Shinji is nothing more than a new Amuro Ray

Oh please if you think Anno did not borrow elements from his earlier series (Nadia and Gunbuster) you are really, really naive or/and stupid. Then again after your threads about how bad kenshin is and fansubs i believe it is the later.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:30 PM   #14   [permalink]
Sheex, The Dark Stalker
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Sheex, The Dark Stalker
Hey, check out this new show, its by the guys who made Esca and Bebop.

Alright.

5 minutes into the show...

THIS IS A EVA CLONE!!!! EVA'S TOO MONDO COOL OVER DIS THANG. THIS SHOW SUCKS I GO BYE BYE NOW

Why's it an Eva clone?

Well, look, its a mecha show!

Wow, there are only 50,000 of those out.

Well, it uses symbolism.

So symbolism has only existed in our soceity since 1995 when Evangelion made it up?

Oh yeah!?! Well... um... the main characters a loser!!! That has to make it an Eva clone!

Hmm... thats strange. There was this little known show on Cartoon Network I saw last summer where a loser piloted a powerful mech and constantly whined, complained, wished he wasn't the pilot, betrayed the organization, got thrown in a cell, etc...

Yeah! Thats Eva! They showed Eva on TV! See!?! Everythings an Eva clone!

Oh yes, now that I think about it that show was Mobile Suit Gundam, which came out 16 years before Eva.

O I C. Well... um... there's a red haired woman in it!

Gee, I didn't know that red haired women existed.

Well... uh... there's a character called Hyuga in it!

So the Japanese aren't allowed to name people Hyuga anymore?

Hmm....

Hey, check this show out. It may actually be able to help your argument. Its called Key the Metal Idol. It also features a thin girl who's very pale, has light hair and eyes, and has got a mysterious past. Also, the main character lives with a big breasted brunette who's essentially her guardian.

YEAH!!! THAT PROVES ME RIGHT YOU BOZO!!! ITS AN EVA CLONE WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT!!!

Oh wait, whats this? I checked the date on Key, it came out before Eva. Looks like its the other way around.

NO~O~~!! SHOWS CAN ONLY RIPOFF EVA!!! EVA CAN'T RIPOFF SHOWS!! *runs off crying*

--------

-_-

As I hope my little conversation has shown, the whole Eva ripoff issue is nothing more than a waste of time. Eva is hardly original. Nothing is. If people would spend more time actually thinking and looking at the quality of something on its own, instead of baselessly crying and moaning about it being an Eva ripoff for using precedents established long before Eva, life as an anime fan would be much better.

As for RahXephon itself, I've only heard the opening theme. It'll be a while before I can see it, having such a slow modem after all.

http://nitpick.myeva.net
The Nitpicker's Guide to Evangelion
Sheex, The Dark Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 05:42 PM   #15   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

:LOL: Funny stuff :LOL:

wonders when the captain of the submarine (Theresa hmm shes got an R in her name shes a clone!!) from full metal panic is going to be called a rei clone because ppl call her ruri like over irc and we all know Ruri's a clone of Rei