Old 06-04-2002, 02:06 AM   #1   [permalink]
Butters
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Butters
n00b to CB

Just want to make a few points about CB. The animation was terrific, how they did all the backgrounds - beautiful. Love the jazzy music.

But the main thing I didn't like about it was that the whole series lacked structure and consistency in developing the main plot [Spike vs Vicious and the Syndicate]. I think there's only about 5 episodes where you actually see development of this. However, I suppose most anime have real troubles in trying to integrate a main plot into several subplots when making a series, and with CB, it doesn't feel 'forced' like I've seen with other series.

Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 08:05 AM   #2   [permalink]
jetalone
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to jetalone Send a message via AIM to jetalone

I would've loved to see more eps concerning Spike, Julia and Vicious' past, too.

However, while more of the series could've been devoted towards the plot, I think that character development was done superbly... by the end of the series, I felt such sympathy for the characters (especially Faye and Jet)...

I'm hoping for another movie that details Spike's past in the Syndicate, though.
"Ben touched me very lightly on the shoulder, looked me in the eyes and said, 'What's up?' I said, 'Uh, not much.' Then his hand went down my back a little- more than I was comfortable with. He invited me over to watch movies- I thought. He started, basically, rubbing himself down with baby oil. I was really shocked, I didn't know what to do about it. So, I called up Robert...The rest is history."
-Darren Jessee

P.S. That's Ben Folds, to save me any embarrassment. :heh:

jetalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 09:31 AM   #3   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Re: n00b to CB

Quote:
Originally posted by Butters
Just want to make a few points about CB. The animation was terrific, how they did all the backgrounds - beautiful. Love the jazzy music.

But the main thing I didn't like about it was that the whole series lacked structure and consistency in developing the main plot [Spike vs Vicious and the Syndicate]. I think there's only about 5 episodes where you actually see development of this. However, I suppose most anime have real troubles in trying to integrate a main plot into several subplots when making a series, and with CB, it doesn't feel 'forced' like I've seen with other series.

I think that was the whole point to Bebop, you were witnessing this one point in the time of Spike's life. I mean while a better glimpse would have been nice I think the point was to let those characters be as much a part of our lives as they were at that time in Spike's.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 12:51 PM   #4   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Cowboy Bebop is the best example of non-linear storytelling period. It's much harder to tell a good non-linear stroy than a good linear one (not saying that non-linear storys are better)

And having Vicious pop up everywhere Spike and the gang went/were would have been annoying and stupidly repetitive
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 06:03 PM   #5   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
the formula wouldnt have been the same, the story is gonna get boring if vicous appears in more episodes.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 11:11 PM   #6   [permalink]
DarkPrimus
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to DarkPrimus
"The ultimate villain is one that you do not get to confront."

If Spike and the Bebop gang had run into Vicious every time they turned around, his presence as a nemesis would be that much less exciting.

Dying is so damn expensive, I don't think I can afford it.

Founder and Executive Council member of the Bebop Mafia. Alias: Crimson Tears.
DarkPrimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:14 AM   #7   [permalink]
jetalone
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to jetalone Send a message via AIM to jetalone
I somewhat agree with that..... but don't you think that Spike and Vicious' last confrontation would've been much more emotionally climactic if we knew more about their past, and their motivations?

I know CB was very well balanced as it was, though..
"Ben touched me very lightly on the shoulder, looked me in the eyes and said, 'What's up?' I said, 'Uh, not much.' Then his hand went down my back a little- more than I was comfortable with. He invited me over to watch movies- I thought. He started, basically, rubbing himself down with baby oil. I was really shocked, I didn't know what to do about it. So, I called up Robert...The rest is history."
-Darren Jessee

P.S. That's Ben Folds, to save me any embarrassment. :heh:

jetalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 04:25 AM   #8   [permalink]
Butters
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Butters
I'm not saying that Vicious should confront Spike in every episode, and I'm not saying that Vicious should appear in every episode, but I reckon he should have appeared in more - even just for about a minute in another 2 episodes in between, just to remind the audience that he is still there, and not just about to pop up at random.
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote