Old 08-04-2002, 11:46 AM   #1   [permalink]
Vandread
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Vandread
Soultaker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just picked up Soultaker.

To anyone who has seen it, what awaits me in the gloomy world of Soultaker?

~Van
Vandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 11:47 AM   #2   [permalink]
Nokari
Forum Master

I don't know, but I wanna see it! Tell us about it later.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:49 AM   #3   [permalink]
Vandread
Forum Elite

I will

I'll give everyone an in-depth review of SoulTaker Later today. I watched the first 3 episodes and they are pretty cool so far

~Van
Old 10-04-2002, 05:49 AM   #4   [permalink]
klinky
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to klinky
I've watched up to episode 7. Series is pretty cool. The animation is very unique. Story is kinda strange. Like Sister Princess meets Blade Runner . There are faults in it. While the show seems dark and serious it gets interupted by stupid 'monster' fights, if you ask me when the main character turns into the Soul Taker the show gets borrrrrrinnng. Also annoying to the fights in that they announce their attack ala Gunbuster or Scryed ...WTF is this for!? It's very out of place for this series. Other then that the characters are well designed and the show leaves you as clueless as the main character is as to what's going on, which is pretty cool. Let's not forget that there is quite a bit of fan service in it to and the two main characters meet up with a KAWAII girl in a cat costume who has a crush on the main character... Good stuff.. Trust me if I gave any spoilers to the series they wouldn't make any freakin' sense.. Truely Soul Taker has to be one of the strangest animes in a long time, even more freaky then FLCL in my book.

~klinky
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (9.0 KB, 32 views)
klinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 07:39 AM   #5   [permalink]
Vandread
Forum Elite

Hmmm...
I'll have my review up in a few hours

~Van
Old 10-04-2002, 07:55 AM   #6   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

This series is creating alot of talk on two other boards i frequent and many ppl praise it for it's animation style.

I heard it's one of those style over substance animes but hey it could be something i like, i must check this out one day and cmon klinky attack names are part of the charm of scryed

SHOCKWAVE OF THE LAST BULLET!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 08:01 AM   #7   [permalink]
Vandread
Forum Elite

Soultaker: " LIGHTNING BREAKER!!!!!!!"

~Van
Old 10-04-2002, 08:06 AM   #8   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Nairohe Send a message via Yahoo to Nairohe
The story is basically about uh... this guy looking for his sister... but instead, he finds fragments of her. I wont say anymore. The animation style usually gets you so into it that you lose the essesne of the story...

if you think about it though, the animation and the story DO work hand in hand the second time you watch it. I would've liked it a lot more if they removed that random corny attack names thrown out every once in a while. The anime would STILL and would have BEEN a lot better WITHOUT those corny attack names... ><

overall, i like it... then fast forward during those fight scenes when he does the attack move calling.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:01 AM   #9   [permalink]
deviceboy

Thumbs up

I've got volume one on DVD and simply couldn't wait for more...

So, being impatient I dled em up to ep 7 as well. That's all I could find at the moment, but anyway, wait until you guys see it!!! Volume 2 brings along the introduction of the SOUL CRUSHER(Soul Crasher in the Fansub's translation)!!!!

And he literally beats down Kyosuke "Who's Yo Daddy" style!!!
Be advised they値l come, And you値l account for all you致e done...

Last edited by deviceboy; 18-04-2002 at 01:55 AM.
deviceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 09:15 AM   #10   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Is there a manga version of Soultaker? if there is CAN I SEE AN EXAMPLE?! judging from all the artsy stuff in it, I'd expect a lot from the manga version... dreamy... hee hee...
Old 10-04-2002, 11:56 AM   #11   [permalink]
The cruel angel's thesis
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to The cruel angel's thesis Send a message via AIM to The cruel angel's thesis Send a message via Yahoo to The cruel angel's thesis
for christ's sake Vandread, you made more exclamation marks in the thread name than there are letters in the word 'soultaker'!

Last edited by The cruel angel's thesis; 10-04-2002 at 12:01 PM.
The cruel angel's thesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 12:01 PM   #12   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Quote:
Originally posted by Nairohe
if you think about it though, the animation and the story DO work hand in hand the second time you watch it. I would've liked it a lot more if they removed that random corny attack names thrown out every once in a while. The anime would STILL and would have BEEN a lot better WITHOUT those corny attack names... ><
Once again the evil unholy touch of DBZ can be felt in the world of anime. Of course I do have a feeling that other series were doing that long before DBZ ^_^;;;
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 12:02 PM   #13   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

SOULTAKER?! DBZ?!!! nah uh... more like power rangers animated. shudders*

[power morphin power ranger!!!]
Old 10-04-2002, 02:00 PM   #14   [permalink]
Vandread
Forum Elite

Vandread's review:)

OK here we go....

Plot
The dark story of Soultaker revolves around a young man named Kyosuke Date. The action starts off with Kyosuke's mother bleeding and dying. Her last act before she dies is to stab Kyosuke through the chest. But that's not the end of the story A young girl named Maya digs Kyosuke up from the grave as he is resurrected. The events that follow throw Kyosuke's world into an upheavel. He learns of his long lost sister Runa as well as the existance of "Flickers"( don't want to spoil anything ) The end result is Kyosuke walking the path of pain and sorrow...the path of the SOULTAKER.

Thoughts
I was a bit reluctant to pick up the Soultaker DVD. It's not that I heard anything bad about it, it's just that the story looked too dark and gloomy for my tastes. I finally broke down and bought it and I have to say Soultaker is quite a treat. The sudden suspense the viewer is thrown into will keep you wanting to see more of the plot.

Visuals
The visuals are simply amazing in this series. It appears all the animation was done by computers and everything looks crisp and clean. The one thing you'll notice while watching Soultaker is that the atmosphere is very dark and gloomy. What really was odd was the way everything seemed to move in a sort of flow in the show. They switch from one scene to another very fast and this can confuse a lot of viewers. However, the undertone of the story still has a feeling of evil This adds to the gothic feel of the series,as well as, gives the viewer a sense of dread as they embark with Kyosuke through a world torn by corruption and lost hope.

Music
What you would expect from this type of anime. The music sounds very gloomy and fits the story very well. The opening is awesome and really gets you into the show.

Character designs
The designs for some of the characters are just plain strange. Komugi for example looks odd with her Hospital uniform. Her personality is a big contrast to the story. Kyosuke starts off looking a bit wimpy. But as the story progresses we see his character design change and he becomes cool. The other characters are cool too. Kyosuke's partner ( I forget his name ) has another weird design. He has a scar over his eye and fights with either his trusty knife, gun, or metal bat. He acts as sort of the comic relief of the show so things don't get too dark. Over all the designs fit the show very well.

English dub
Yes, here we are at the dub. Well, what can I say. It's standard when it comes to dubs. Though not as good as the Japanese VAs the English VAs do a decent job. Kyosuke's voice ( who is done by the guy who did the english voice for Otaru from Saber Marionette J ) starts off sounding a bit strange. As the show goes on we see his english VA start to get better. The others need work but I think they'll do all right

Soul Taker
Kyosuke's other form. It gets its own catagory because it kicks supreme butt. He has two moves from what I've seen. First he can suspend opponents ,as well as, objects in the sky by trapping them in a crucifix made of pure energy. His final move is when he builds up all his energy into the spectacular move called the Lightning Breaker. Great effects for that one

Final thoughts
Soul Taker is a pretty cool series. With it's violence and action mixed with story the show has an unbeatable formula. The next volume comes out here in the states in about a week. I'll most likely be the first person in line to pick it up

~Van
Old 10-04-2002, 02:01 PM   #15   [permalink]
IcedHildaChan
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to IcedHildaChan
I've seen the first DVD, and I plan on getting the next one whenever it comes out. Everything's good except for the attack names. Can anyone hit something without screaming some dumb name?
IcedHildaChan is offline   Reply With Quote