Old 16-04-2002, 08:46 PM   #46   [permalink]
Dryden-san
Forum Elite

I'll weigh in on this one now that I've watched the first DVD a few times. Soultaker is a completely lunatic show, even by anime standards. Very over the top. First episode: you get the doctor bursting out of the ground in a coffin, and proceeding to hurl a dozen scapels at Our Hero. Fortunately, they're deflected by this series' resident enigmatic badass Shiro Mibu. With a baseball bat. Then the short girl in the nurses outfit breaks up the fight by tossing syringes the size of tombstones. All the while the show is doing things to colors that were just never meant to be done. But is it a good show? Oh yes, absolutely, but like G Gundam you must be willing to accept the lunacy of the setting. It has an intriguing, story which is only looking to get more complex but it is by no means slow-paced. In fact, the action moves so quickly that some of the transitions are quite jarring. Just accept what comes as it comes and worry about it on the second viewing. That's the way to enjoy this show.

Complexity of plot aside, this is not a brain-intensive show, but that's alright. It wasn't meant to be. Just be sure to watch it twice to catch those little things you might have missed... It is, at heart, the usual "teen boy receives super powers to fight for what he believes in," story. But it's dark, with a look and sound all its own. It proves that such an old story can still be made fresh with the proper care. BTW, the DVD is gorgeous, a perfect transfer. This should be the baseline for future anime releases.

Addendum: For those of you who wonder why he must always announce his attacks, and the vauge, Power Ranger-y feel to some of the battles there is a simple explanation. Check who made it, folks: Tatsunoko Pro. This is the fine studio who brought us Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, aka. Battle of the Planets, aka. G-Force. Costumed super hero teams (the genre is called sentai, I believe) are Tatsunoko's bread and butter. They've done a bunch of similar shows, and Power Rangers was very much poured from the same mould. So was Soultaker, though it is of course far superior to Power Rangers. It's still the same basic idea, just a very surreal, gothic interpretation.
Dryden-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2002, 12:34 AM   #47   [permalink]
klinky
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to klinky
I think who ever thought up the idea of blaring out the attack right before attacking should be strangled and SEELE'd.

Notice how GunBuster had those silly attack names.. It also had people doing push ups and jumping jacks in mecha .

Anno seems to have removed that from Eva...... <sarcasm> it wouldv'e made the show much deeper</sarcasm....

I wating for someone to yell one of their silly attack names right before attacking and the enemy dodges totally and does a whoopass counter on them...WITH OUT YELLING IT OUT..

HeroIdiot :" Leg Kicker Star Basher!"
EvilEnemy: " Oh I know that one"
Does a reverse on HeroIdiot......
HeroIdiot:" Hey that's not fair you didn't announce your attack!"

~klinky
klinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2002, 01:42 PM   #48   [permalink]
Steathassasn
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Steathassasn
halarious and original...i like it
Old 18-04-2002, 01:22 AM   #49   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by klinky
I think who ever thought up the idea of blaring out the attack right before attacking should be strangled and SEELE'd.

Notice how GunBuster had those silly attack names.. It also had people doing push ups and jumping jacks in mecha .

Anno seems to have removed that from Eva...... <sarcasm> it wouldv'e made the show much deeper</sarcasm....

I wating for someone to yell one of their silly attack names right before attacking and the enemy dodges totally and does a whoopass counter on them...WITH OUT YELLING IT OUT..

HeroIdiot :" Leg Kicker Star Basher!"
EvilEnemy: " Oh I know that one"
Does a reverse on HeroIdiot......
HeroIdiot:" Hey that's not fair you didn't announce your attack!"

~klinky
Gunbuster was cool

And your little made up scene reminds of a bit in vandread when Hibiki first vilots his vanguard and tries to do a super move and yells something out and proceeds to get pulverised
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2002, 11:50 AM   #50   [permalink]
Vandread
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Vandread
Hibiki: " LIGHTNING FIST"

*nothing comes out and he is bombarded by the enemy*

~Van

Last edited by Vandread; 18-04-2002 at 01:12 PM.
Vandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2002, 07:05 PM   #51   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
grrr...suncoast didnt get any copies of soultaker vol. 2 until next week wednesday

has anyone got this volume yet? people may have missed my preivious post
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2002, 09:53 PM   #52   [permalink]
klinky
Executive Member

The problem though is that Vandread was so lame that little funny blipped off my mind....

Hibiki just looked inside himself to find his true self to realease the energy of his final true self that only himself could find within the self that the self of other selves could not find, only then could the true energy of the his true self be conquered with alternate self energy!

edit: GunBuster WAS good, but the attack names were lame. "{gasp} she can do the thunder kick on her first try" LOL so so so lame....

~klinky

Last edited by klinky; 18-04-2002 at 09:56 PM.
Old 22-04-2002, 08:31 AM   #53   [permalink]
Vandread
Forum Elite

Volume two came out!!!!!!!!!!

So everyone's thoughts?

~Van
Old 23-04-2002, 11:40 AM   #54   [permalink]
Vandread
Forum Elite

I'm making sure this thread does not die!!!

Soulcrusher was awesome!!!!

He mutilated Poor Kyosuke!!!

~Van
Old 30-04-2002, 12:51 PM   #55   [permalink]
Vandread
Forum Elite

Vandread: "REVIVE!!!"

*revives thread*

SOULTAKER!!!

~Van
Old 30-04-2002, 05:23 PM   #56   [permalink]
Dryden-san
Forum Elite

Thoughts on volume 2: Okay, now we're getting somewhere... I'm still trying to decide whether it's for the best. Episode 4 was a good one, albeit more of the same. If it weren't for Komugi integrating herself in the "team," I'd have to qualify this one as filler... But she's just so cute... In a creepy, wierd way. Have I mentioned I love Shiro? Now, at this point many other series would descend into filler. I don't whether it's because Soultaker is a short series or because of good directing but they managed to avoid it. Lots of answers, and an awesome battle. The only problem is the series loses some of that feeling of wild disorientation that made it so interesting. Finally, we get a floating castle. This series loves to throw stuff at you that makes no sense. I love it.
Dryden-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 01:17 AM   #57   [permalink]
klinky
Executive Member

I got to see the fansubs up to ep6. I think episode 5 is so funny when Shiro and Kagumi have to team up.

~SPOILERS~
Funny parts

ep5
When Kagumi acts out the part between Shiro and the 'lost love', then it turns out to be his sister.

ep6
When Shiro launches the rocket to 'save' Kyousuke and Kagumi starts yelling that he killed Kyousuke and that he's a spy.

~klinky
Old 01-05-2002, 11:43 AM   #58   [permalink]
Vandread
Forum Elite

The fight at the end of episode 6 was AWESOME!!!

With the Soultaker theme playing in the back round it was just plain cool.

SOULTAKER!!!

~Van
Old 19-08-2002, 11:39 AM   #59   [permalink]
Vandread
Forum Elite

Now that Soultaker has been full released, I want everyone's opinions of the ending.

~Van
Old 20-08-2002, 12:02 PM   #60   [permalink]
Vandread
Forum Elite

Has anyone seen the ending for Soultaker? It would be cool to get someone's opinion of the ending. Come on...I know I can't be the only person who saw the ending. -_-

~Van