Old 24-04-2002, 02:46 AM   #1   [permalink]
snowcherry
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to snowcherry
Con Season Fortune Telling

It's that magical time of year when flowers are blooming, skies are blue, and anime conventions are hitting us every other weekend or so. And as we all know, big conventions = acquisition announcements.

ACen brought us some good news from ADV, which is not surprising in and of itself, though a title or two did come as a shock for some. Media Blasters mentioned interest in acquiring Gravitation (much to the "WAI WAI WAI!"-ing of the legions of fangirls), discussed the possibility of more Berserk, and informed us of some licenses that no one really cared about. RightStuf announced Comic Party, aka The Series That Would Never Be Licensed Unless Pigs Flew and Tokyopop Stopped Sucking. CPM and AnimEigo clarified some release plans, Viz owns Blood and Golgo 13 manga, and everyone else threw some dates at the fans to keep them happy.

So, with con season here and the number (and scope!) of titles being licensed and released higher than ever, I gaze into my Magic 8-Ball of Anime Licensing and see:

RahXephon - ADV will get this one. Why? I don't know. The Magic 8-Ball did not tell. *shakes ball*
Chobits - Will definitely be licensed this year, but by who remains a mystery. The obvious choice is Tokyopop, but with Angelic Layer snagged by ADV and X by Pioneer, it's hard to say.
Kodomo no Omocha - Oh come on. If Marmalade Boy and Comic Party can get licensed, Kodocha can too. Tokyopop, naturally, because no one else would touch such a risky series. Besides, we've been waiting for years.
Onegai Teacher - The only thing impeding the license of this series is that Letourneau lady in Washington. Bah, bad joke.
Record of 12 Countries - Fantasy about a girl who gets transported to a mystical world? Where've I heard that before? Oh, that's right, only three other extremely popular series (Fushigi Yuugi, Inu Yasha, Escaflowne).
Mahoromatic - No clue who'll snag this one, but the "cute robot maid" trend is not dying anytime soon, it seems.

Now, to ask: anyone else have any predictions/hopes/naive wishes for anime licenses this con season?
Old 24-04-2002, 02:59 AM   #2   [permalink]
suzaku
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to suzaku Send a message via AIM to suzaku Send a message via Yahoo to suzaku

a very nice and almost accurate prediction
Old 24-04-2002, 02:59 AM   #3   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

RahXephon I'm going with Bandai for this one, since it's by Bones and they have pretty close links with bandai being former sunrise members, they also did the Cowboy Bebop movie for Bandai.

Chobits Yeah I would have thought this would be a Pioneer certainty but with ADV getting Angelic layer and TokyoPop doing the manga hmmmm. I'll prefer Pioneer or Tokyopop due to the fact their turnaround time is quick.

Scryed Let's see it combines martial arts fighting, mecha, a touch of romance, an excellent plot, awesome fight scenes, great visuals and music, was the most popular anime in Japan recently and it's animated by Sunrise. I'll put this down to Bandai releasing it.

Batteflag Of The Stars 1 and 2 The sequel series to Crest Of The Stars should be licensed by bandai sometime soon

Onegai Teacher it will be licensed and i'm guessing Tokyopop

.hack//sign Bandai for sure

Juuni Kokki Chronicles of 12 Countries The same reasons Snowcherry listed

Last edited by Westlo; 24-04-2002 at 03:00 AM.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2002, 04:04 PM   #4   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
scryed: i see pioneer licensing this one, or maybe ADV, or even Funimation

.hack//sign: bandai 100% sure

rahxephon: bandai once again, they seem to have almost all good mecha series

mahoromatic: pioneer, probably because they released hand maid may as well

chobits: i'll say tokyopop, i mean, why not, they already have the manga going

flame of recca: no one will. although when i start my own company and this hasnt been licensed yet, i'll be sure to pick this one up.

AND also, AoD repots said that ADV has the rights to most of the anime curently airing in japan...hmmm
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2002, 07:31 PM   #5   [permalink]
suzaku
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to suzaku Send a message via AIM to suzaku Send a message via Yahoo to suzaku
all i know is this

Angelic Layer - Tokyopop obtained its manga license and ADV obtained its anime license from CLAMP
Old 24-04-2002, 09:44 PM   #6   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Quote:
Originally posted by Fatal Outlaw
flame of recca: no one will. although when i start my own company and this hasnt been licensed yet, i'll be sure to pick this one up.

The truth . . .
Well Fatal Outlaw youd better start your own company soon . .
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2002, 09:29 AM   #7   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Let's have a guess at Bandais 4 titles and who has Chobits, since we know those are being announced at AnimeExpo

I saw Pioneer has Chobits and bandais 4 titles are

Senki No Senkai (this has been confirmed)
Onegai Teacher
DNA^2 and the big one
RahXephon
Old 22-06-2002, 12:24 PM   #8   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
In regards to predictions on what will occur at an anime convention *shakes the magic 8-Ball*

Grossly overweight individuals will poorly attempt to look like cartoon characters

People waste small fortunes on useless junk to expand on their shrines to various series

Air conditioning will go out at one con at the least

The males will ogle after all the good looking women in costumes sighing in despair that they'll never get "any"

That is my prediction for this summers convention season *bows and leaves the room*
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2002, 04:20 PM   #9   [permalink]
snowcherry
Forum Elite

I was actually planning on resurrecting this thread myself.

...and if I had been trying to predict what would happen at cons besides licenses, I would point to every con that has ever taken place in the past .

Well, whoever has RahXephon also has DNA^2, and Bandai does seem a likely candidate. Though I disagree that RahXephon would be the biggest announcement. DNA^2 is a title that has been waiting to be licensed for -years-.
Old 22-06-2002, 04:54 PM   #10   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Er, forgive my ignoarnce, but what the hell are all these things with the conventions? ADV? Pionner? WTF?
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2002, 08:08 PM   #11   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Black_Knight
Er, forgive my ignoarnce, but what the hell are all these things with the conventions? ADV? Pionner? WTF?
conventions are gatherings of the anime industry. its during these times when anime companies such as ADV, Pioneer, Bandai (the best ), Media Blasters, Tokyopop etc etc announce new acquistions and their plans for the following months

Last edited by Fatal Outlaw; 22-06-2002 at 08:09 PM.
Old 23-06-2002, 05:11 PM   #12   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

i would just like to say, since this is the right thread for it...GOD BLESS PIONEER AND BANDAI!!! (not ADV, screw them)

bandai for an excellent release of Betterman (nice covers too) and Silent Mobius (26 episodes on 3 dvd sets? YES! beat that adv). keep up the good work and im looking forward to my escaflowne ultimate edition movie!!!

god bless pioneer for releasing hellsing, X, Vandread with a box, perfect audio, video and quality. as long as you guys do it right, i dont give a shht if you release it in 8 discs.

well thats it for my rant
Old 24-06-2002, 02:15 AM   #13   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Hows Betterman, it's "supposively" a Evangelion clone along with Brainpowered, Argento Soma and RahXephon. (and any other show with a boy piloting a mech )

Actually Snowcherry i think RahXephon is the 'title' of this con, it's quite popular in japan and should appeal to any open minded evangelion fan (ie not 'oh gos its similar to evangelion its a rip off' type of fans) and many more people.

Though DNA^2 is the fan favourite since many people wanted this licensed, wasn't the masters lost or something for that.....

And i can't believe how adv ------ up excels voice......
Old 24-06-2002, 02:22 PM   #14   [permalink]
snowcherry
Forum Elite

I retain that a long-time fan favorite thought to be lost forever is a bigger announcement than some brand-new fad anime XP

Heh, but I'm joking, so no offense or anything...

Anyhow, back to the topic...as I said in the SaiKano thread, that is so licensed. It won't be announced until after the series is finished running, but I still would bet that it's licensed already.
Ai Yori Aoshi is probably licensed too, now that Love Hina has proven that there is a market for that kind of series. That of course means we'll be seeing a whole lot more of them. Whoopee *twirls finger*

On the manga front:
Someone has to license a Tanemura Arina work. It's getting ridiculous that every other language in which manga is translated has at least one Tanemura manga (usually Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne), except English. Some company (Tokyopop, undoubtedly) will license one of her works, and possibly the anime version as well. I'd bet on KKJ or Full Moon o Sagashite.

Off-topic: I wanted to see Betterman, Eva clone or not And yeah, I never had any real issues with ADV until I heard about Jessica Calvello. Poor girl.

Last edited by snowcherry; 24-06-2002 at 02:24 PM.
snowcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2002, 02:57 PM   #15   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Quote:
Off-topic: I wanted to see Betterman, Eva clone or not And yeah, I never had any real issues with ADV until I heard about Jessica Calvello. Poor girl.
you really should, imo, ite pretty good

and also, in ANs, "jack daniels" has once again reported that Alien 9 has been licenced, he's the same dude that reported dna2 and RX were licensed so theres a chance that all these are licensed by bandai