Old 24-06-2002, 08:40 PM   #31   [permalink]
Shenrezade
Executive Member

Neither do I. But because so many crazed fan-girls (no offense, Magic) consider them "Bish" (How are they bish? The only relatively "Bish" thing on Zero is his long hair...) they should be on the list...
Old 24-06-2002, 09:25 PM   #32   [permalink]
Dryden-san
Forum Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Robotech Master
3) As for definitions of Sexy vs. Cute, both words were used rather rarely, and neither 100 percent over the other. The headline may be "Sex Cels," but its subtitle is "A contemplation of the Sensual appeal of Anime characters." In addition, a small section at the beginning describes the editors definition of sexy when talking about fictional characters. Half of the definition attributed to the fact that Anime is art, and art is (or at least can be) attractive. The second is that the character themself should, by all logical reasoning, have the potential to be sensual if they have the potential to be viewed as icons. The best way to understand this is to read the article in its entirety. What I gave you was the list, which accounted for 1 of 8 pages.
I know; I read the article. I agree with their comments. I think the key is this line: "...the character themself should, by all logical reasoning, have the potential to be sensual..." Emphasis mine. Several of the names on the list are never truly presented as having a "sexual dimension" to their characters. However, almost all of them do have the potential to be sensual. Despite my initial reaction, Belldandy-for example-can be portrayed in a sensual fashion. There are even scattered scenes in the manga where this is the case. Bear in mind I said almost all of them; I stand by my comments for the most part. None of the women in DBZ can be presented in a sensual fashion while staying true to Toriyama's style. It doesn't matter how you dress them or pose them; there's nothing wrong with his art per se, but it is totally non-sensual. Characters like Nagha, Mai, and Rio are presented in a sensual fashion, but I find their proportions abhorrent and there's nothing in their personalities-or their archetypes (more on that soon)-to make up for it.

Here's the other important point you quoted: anime characters are, or can be, icons. Icons are representative of real people, ideas, or in this case, archetypes and personalities. Part of a character's attraction is what they represent. Part of the reason I don't find Belldandy "sexy" is what she represents-the perfect mother; it's not a concept I find terribly interesting or attractive. Setting aside her body (which hasn't stopped anyone from creating sensual fanart), I don't find endless angst very appealing either, and Miyu represents nothing if not angst.
Quote:
"When it came right down to the final choices, we realized just how big a job it was. What were we thinking to even undertake this? ...Ultimately, though, we probably shouldn't have worried so much. After all, any list of favorites, is, by definition, a case of personal preferences. So if your favorite wasn't duly represented, don't get mad! Write in and let us known which characters you think are pinup material."

These people don't think their opinions are the end-all truth of the universe, and its obvious that what they used to judge the characters was different from what you and I may have done. But lets face it folkes, there are a lot of anime girls out there, and this list was only 100. Even restricting yourself to personal opinion, this would be a hard thing to do.
That is, more or less, what I meant when I compared to the AFI's list of the 100 greatest movies. Doing a list like this that satisfies everybody is impossible and they knew it. They also knew publishing a list like this would get people talking, and that's what I'm trying to do. I'm explaining which parts of the list I disagree with, and why. I like debate, even one as frivolous as this. I may have come across as just complaining, but I assure you, you would know if I was just complaining because I'd sound like this: "Dude! This list sucks! They should have put her, her, her and her on instead!" Where 'her' represents a character I do find attractive.

Quote:
5) Finally, since people wanted it, the male list. ...So for those wondering about certain females in the babes list, you now know, for a fact, that just physical appearance was not used to determine who got on the list, as Piccolo's inclusion shows.
As a male, I'm no doubt less qualified to judge this list, but what the hell. I give them a thumbs up for including Ogami Itto, Eikichi Onizuka, and Whitemask; especially Whitemask, given the relative obscurity of 'Legend of Galactic Heroes' on this side of the ocean. The only problems I have with the list are lack of male characters from Utena, particularly Akio, who practically drips sexiness from his pores. Considering the presence of Utena et al on the female list, their absence is very curious. The other problem is, you guessed it, Piccolo. Huh? He isn't human, and doesn't look even remotely human. He has antenna. He's completely bald and has pointy teeth. He's fscking GREEN!!! Why is he on there? I think you called it: they wanted to prove they weren't judging solely by appearances. Of course since he's the gruffest, most unfriendly, most standoffish character in the series (Vegeta included), I wonder just what criteria they were judging by. They could have found someone better with even a modicum of effort.

Oh, and Caska from 'Berserk' should have made the females list.
Dryden-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2002, 11:36 PM   #33   [permalink]
Miss_Misato
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Miss_Misato Send a message via Yahoo to Miss_Misato
Some pretty ugly guys made it on the list. I was looking through it a few days ago and I was wondering how they can consider Jet hot. I mean a nice personality, but definitly not hot.

Some appropriate guys are on there though Vash
Miss_Misato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2002, 01:15 AM   #34   [permalink]
Ukiki

*stares at the guys list*
-.-"
i'll never understand women...
Old 25-06-2002, 10:01 AM   #35   [permalink]
Fireflystar
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Fireflystar
Quote:
Originally posted by Ukiki
*stares at the guys list*
-.-"
i'll never understand women...
Heyy! It's my opinion that list wasn't even made by women , more like the same men who made the women list, but just took educated guesses for the hot guy list.

that DBZ freak with the green body..that's HOT. I'll admit. hhahaha

If the list was truly made by women, I can assure you there would be more men from the CLAMP series,and at least one person from Utena. Believe me, this couldn't have been made by women.
Old 25-06-2002, 05:52 PM   #36   [permalink]
Ayanamipuff
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Ayanamipuff
Yes, its funny that they COMPLETLY skipped over Yukito, Yue and Toya, from CCS...
Ayanamipuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2002, 06:52 PM   #37   [permalink]
Magicfangirl
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Magicfangirl
I really don't know what is it about Jet I like. ^_^ But I do, for some reason.

Piccolo.... I just love his face, his green skin, his pointy ears and deep voice! He's just sooooooooo werid that he's cute!
Magicfangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2002, 07:39 PM   #38   [permalink]
Fireflystar
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Fireflystar
Quote:
Originally posted by Magicfangirl

Piccolo.... I just love his face, his green skin, his pointy ears and deep voice! He's just sooooooooo werid that he's cute!

someone get this girl a CLAMP artbook, quick!!!
Old 02-07-2002, 05:19 PM   #39   [permalink]
jinshil
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to jinshil
i dont like this list at all --;;

wayyyyyy too much gundam wing and dbz...

im fine with the rest of it though, considering it is THEIR opinions.
jinshil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 06:37 PM   #40   [permalink]
PenguinFaery

Send a message via AIM to PenguinFaery
Quote:
Originally posted by snowcherry

*shakes head at the inclusion of FotNS's Kenshiro but omission of any Weiss guys*
I know...they do have Weiss in the article though. But not on the list...and no Quatre....*pout* Some of the guys are just...ehh....yuck.
PenguinFaery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 06:47 PM   #41   [permalink]
Animeniac1
Executive Member

These are some strange lists...
Old 27-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #42   [permalink]
Kusunagi
Forum Junkie

Chick from Black Lagoon or Desert Punk didn't make it? Also no ikki or tenjou characters?
Why Am I Dying to Live, If Im just Living to Die
Kusunagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #43   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Kusunagi
Chick from Black Lagoon or Desert Punk didn't make it? Also no ikki or tenjou characters?
The list was from 2002.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:23 AM   #44   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
This list was so ------- biased. I mean Cima Garahau? Dorothy Catalonia? These women oozed evil and unsexiness.

Momomi, I'm amused they allowed a hentai character in.

Because when this list was released, they didn't come out with the normal series.
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:28 AM   #45   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Ah, if only I could live in a world where NGE girls don't turn up on all the sexy lists. Fine when I was 14, but as an adult, who is fairly sure that many of the people who reference NGE these days are also adults, its a bit disturbing. Perhaps nostalgia, or perhaps people really do dig characters who are written and drawn as developing young teenagers.

If I ever rule the world, I'm handing out NGE to all world citizens. Then executing everyone over the age of 18 who displays any interest in Rei. We don't need your kind.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote