Old 10-08-2002, 01:53 PM   #16   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

The third series has the least human charas, so this allows more time to flesh out each of their characters. Like Takato slowly developing into an emotional, sympathetic person. Also the relationship between human and Digimon is more closely examined in the third series, like Renamon's relationship with her master, which starts off like a strict teacher-obedient pupil relationship then develops into a best friends one.

I still like the charas from the first series best though because they have more history to them, like how it was told Ty used to be in the same football team as Sora. Also, the infamous fight between Matt and Ty illustrated the sheer frustration when things weren't going their way. And what about when Mimi became a princess and started to act spoilt-she eventually learned the errors of her way. So the first series had some good set pieces to enhance the charas' development.

Overall, the amount of chara dev in both series is roughly similar in my book........ what are people's thoughts on the second series?
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2002, 10:14 PM   #17   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
The second one was rather bland in comparison I belive... They pretty much already went through TK and Kari so all we had left were the 4 new ones... Of course probably the one who went through the most was Ken. Even though he was a pawn, he went from someone who was as cruel as possible to someone who was almost human. The quickest one had to be Yuli, after she broke down after her first visit then the others proped her back up. Cody was the stolic one who also might have still be troubled with his fathers death. And Davis, well, he's Davis...
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2002, 08:38 AM   #18   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

A distinct feature of the second series was the improved animation, and more time was spent by the protagonists on Earth. What can you say about Davis? He's like a carbon copy of Ty (are they related?) and even his voice bears an alarming resemblance. Davis is more brash and arrogant though. I liked the way that the charas from the 1st series grew up in the second, like Mimi with her new fashion sense.

Ken was my favorite player in the 2nd series, with his evil-come-good-via-emotional-breakdowns routine. His sidekick Wormon also provides some good jokes. Emotions certainly ran high near the end when all the other digi-destined rallied behind the reformed Ken, and Davis shouting 'You can't live on the past' or something like that (one of the best scenes in the series in my opinion). Cody was the classic miserable,serious git.

The DNA digivolution idea was quite innovative too. So although the second series didn't feature the most character development or original plot, it did at least provide some entertainment. It could have been done better however.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:06 AM   #19   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
I agree there, some of the plot twists were good, like the return of Myostismon... (I knew they'd somehow bring him back) And the string pullers being string pulled as well...

Okay, on a new topic, villians, who do you think was the evilest? And who's do you find the most sypathetic to? Also the villian-to-hero idea is void for this question...
-Bishop Oro
Old 02-09-2002, 10:10 AM   #20   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
You know just when I thought you couldn't lower my brain cell count anymore than you do BK, you find new ways to do so.

I just want to say that anyone in here is over analyzing shows that don't need to be overanalyzed. GET OUT OF YOUR BASEMENTS AND LIVE A LITTLE PEOPLE!!!
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 01:43 PM   #21   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Quote:
Says Project Akira:
I just want to say that anyone in here is over analyzing shows that don't need to be overanalyzed. GET OUT OF YOUR BASEMENTS AND LIVE A LITTLE PEOPLE!!!
Hey Akira, if you have nothing constructive to add to this very on-topic discussion besides a weak flame, then be quiet.

Next off-topic/inflammitory post gets a warning.
Drizzten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 02:31 PM   #22   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

But Project Akira, we haven't even started to discuss the inverse cube law for the luminous intensity of the light given off by a Charizard's tail flame, or the 3 laws of Gabumon and its relationship to Michaelangelo's David!

On the topic of villains........
Yeah, Myotismon is one evil Digimon, and he (it) even fried one of his allies (Wizardmon) in the first series. Cold and calculated - just look at the way he manipulated Kari's Digimon. I'd have said Ken too in the beginning, but he's a villain-to-hero.........

Team Rocket chief Giovanni is also one who revels in evil. I think he enjoys it- not only does he mastermind the illegal theft of prized Pokemon, but also dabbles in stealing money. He seems not to care about the feelings of Pokemon or humans, like in the first Pokemon movie where he enslaved Mewtwo.

A tiny bit of sympathy goes out to Jesse and James (who seem to get less and less evil as the series progress)- but only because they always end up being electrocuted/ hit/ flamed etc.
Old 06-09-2002, 05:50 PM   #23   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Faulkner
But Project Akira, we haven't even started to discuss the inverse cube law for the luminous intensity of the light given off by a Charizard's tail flame, or the 3 laws of Gabumon and its relationship to Michaelangelo's David!
Nice...

Anyway, Myotismon was a ruthless one indead... But he killed Wizardmon after he betryed him though. as for Gatomon, that cruel training was able to allow here to retain her champon form though... But he did suck up Demi-Devimon, but then again, he screwed up one to many times....

A funny final note of holes in censorship... They never showed Wizardmon's final moment after he closed his eyes and Kari cried out. That scene was cut, but they used it in the series later when they were broken down to data. And also in the second series as well... Weird...

Giovanni was ruthless with his goals as well. I bet he also killed those who failed him. Jesse and James would have to have been an exception since they tried so many times to catch pikachu and I guess its a giant investment . But if team rocket also used guns in their operations, the world would have fallen to them...

Finally, the sypathetic villians would have to have been Jesse and James from Pokemon, in the manga series, they left team rocket at the end and also helped ash by delivering a letter to his mother...

The Di-Reaper, because of the information it compiled and also it belived that it was doing the right thing for the betterment of all... And in a way, it was...

Also from monster Ranger Moo... sure the motive to take over the world and enslave all of humanity was not good. But then again he gave many, monsters a meaning....
-Bishop Oro
Old 15-09-2002, 09:23 AM   #24   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Demi-Devimon was a real joker-and its voice sounds suspiciously like Meowth's first voice. Didn't Myotismon evolve further to fight WereGarurumon and WarGreymon? The evolved version was like a freak out of 'Aliens-the movie'-I think it had a mouth embedded in its torso.

Wizardmon's eyes said it all when it died-it just reflected the pain that he/it had endured during its life. It was a poignant scene- but censorship material? Not quite. On the subject of censorship, anyone seen the episodes of Pokemon which were banned in America? I saw 'Legend Of Dratini' and although there was a Clint-Eastwood lookalike wielding a gun, it didn't have too many controversial moments........ all they had to do was cut out a few scenes where guns were pointed to heads and it would be suitable viewing for children. No more violent than an episode of bugs bunny with Yosemite Sam.

Giovanni probably had a crack 'death squad' which he sends out to eliminate his foes. Jesse and James sometimes used bombs in the series, and in the episode after 'Riddle Me This' they even used Rocket Launchers....so proof that TR does have a weapons cache hidden somewhere.

Haven't seen Monster Rancher for some time now-but what about Medabots (see other thread in this forum)? Shrimplips sounds like a sympathetic villain, even helping Ikky infiltrate the Rubber Robo's base.

More points of discussion: a feature of the 'Mon' series is the portrayal of characters overcoming their fears-which character do you think showed the most courage in battling their demons within?
Also, what is everyone's thoughts on the funniest character/moment in any of the Mon series?
Old 15-09-2002, 12:07 PM   #25   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Well the Re-formed villian Ken, or Juri... I mean both went through the lose of the digimon and that wa a ringer for the re-evaluation of their life... So they went into that depersion and what not... And they facd their deamons while fighting those monster who were attacking in the emotional state...

Also one slip up for the censorship was allowing this part of the song in on a "Pikachu Jukebox"

"Good Luck with Muk and it's poison gas, make one wrong move and it'll kick your ass"

The best scene was in the orignal where Izzy and Tai walking in on Mimi, intending to save her, while she's in the bath... Where she got all that stuff to huck at them, I do not know...
-Bishop Oro
Old 17-09-2002, 01:31 PM   #26   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Re: *Official Experimental* Mon Forum Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Black_Knight
*Official Experimental* Mon Forum Thread

3. This experimental forum shall only compromise of those animes that fall under the Mon category as well
So which series does that include? Digimon, Pokemon, Monster Rancher

Do Medabots or *shudder* Beyblade count?
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2002, 11:21 PM   #27   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Re: Re: *Official Experimental* Mon Forum Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by jennwenn

So which series does that include? Digimon, Pokemon, Monster Rancher

Do Medabots or *shudder* Beyblade count?
I never thought of that... I guess that's your call...
-Bishop Oro
Old 21-09-2002, 09:44 AM   #28   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Medabots is similar to Digi, Poke and MonRan because it involves the collection of 'monsters' (robots in its case) and duelling with them (also, the Medabots tournament is reminiscent of the Pokemon League Tournment).In which case, Beyblades also falls under the so-called 'Mon' category even if it features the most ill-conceived lead character and battles ever.

About the slip-up in 'Pikachu's Jukebox'-on hearing it for the first time it does sound like 'ass', when I thought 'wait a minute-did I miss something?'. But on listening more carefully it's actually 'grass' which makes sense since Muk (a posion type) is good against grass types. The song has a good chorus........
Old 23-09-2002, 12:03 AM   #29   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Quote:

About the slip-up in 'Pikachu's Jukebox'-on hearing it for the first time it does sound like 'ass', when I thought 'wait a minute-did I miss something?'. But on listening more carefully it's actually 'grass' which makes sense since Muk (a posion type) is good against grass types. The song has a good chorus........
Well it confused enough people for them to change the lyrics of the song... But then again, Evolution's the Solution... They screwed up there by showing a clip from the Dartini Eps... That's probably got people wondering... At least those who don't keep tab on it...
-Bishop Oro
Old 27-10-2002, 11:14 AM   #30   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Medabots is similar to Digi, Poke and MonRan because it involves the collection of 'monsters' (robots in its case) and duelling with them (also, the Medabots tournament is reminiscent of the Pokemon League Tournment).In which case, Beyblades also falls under the so-called 'Mon' category even if it features the most ill-conceived lead character and battles ever.
I got to agree with that, what about those new one's like Mon Coli Knights, or Fighting Footons? The the latter have monster foods duke it out to the death while the first has a large amountd of monsters...
-Bishop Oro