Old 21-07-2002, 02:17 AM   #1   [permalink]
Shenrezade
Executive Member

The top five reaons why Kagato rules.

I just felt the need to express why no one who's seen the Tenchi OAVs can think Kagato sucks. You can't do it.

*miscellanous person in the backround*
I don't like him!!

*Shen whips out his sword and strikes the offender dead*

Anyway... So without further ado, the top five reasons why Kagato rules:

5: His character desgin. I'm an artist, so I happen to like characters more if I think they look good. Kagato had a look about him that spoke of "evil yet sophisticated". I mean, even those little sunglasses on him make him look cool. I can't seem to picture what he'd look like without them.

4: His voices. Both Kagato's dub and his orignal Japanese voice were excellent. I know some people hate dubs completely and would rather rip their ears off than listen to them, and I know that some people really don't like the Tenchi dub because of Tenchi and Aeka's VAs alone. But Kagato was worked on perfectly, IMHO...

3: His powers. Let's face it; Kagato had abilites that could make those wusses from DBZ wet their pants. Weapon conjuring, Teleportation, phasing through solid matter, energy beams powerful enough to tear through steel... Kagato's powers help add to his coolness.

2: His intelligence. As if his deadly powers weren't enough, Kagato has the smarts to back them up. He would plan things down to a tee, and always had contengency re-works to those plans stored in his mind. He frikkin' outthought Washu, for crying out loud!! This task isn't impossible, of course, but it's pretty darn close to accomplish. His brains mixed with his awesome powers would make him close to unstoppable

1: And the number one reason I think Kagato rules: His attitude, to be honest. I mean, this guy has style and knows how to use it. He knows he's nigh unbeatable, but he doesn't flaunt this fact. He knows excatly what he can do and when he can do it. It not that he's arrogant; it's that he's so sure of himself that he knows he can't fail in what he sets out to accomplish. His personality just reeks of "Evil villian bent on conquering existance".

So that's it. If anybody has any points they want to add, please do so. If anybody sees any faults in my reasons, point 'em out. If anybody posts to say they hate Kagato, well...

*Shen pulls his sword out partway*

You get the the idea...
Old 21-07-2002, 03:38 AM   #2   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

I agree with you 100%. He is a pretty cool villain, and he has to be in order to be a Tenchi Muyo OVA villain. You have to have power to overwhelm Ryoko and Aeka, then you have to have the Brains to match Washu.

And not only that, but he has Power, Brains, AND technology. All that stuff that he took from Washu, learned, and later began creating himself. He possessed a lot of really nifty devices that he could use on people without having to actually use his own powers.

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2002, 03:45 AM   #3   [permalink]
Fanatic
Executive Member

I quite agree. Though I find one detail to detract from his ultra-cool image:

He stated that he created Ryoko, but we know Washu did this.

So either he is lying (which would make him less cool and less stylish)
Or he is deluding himself, telling himself that he created her though he gave Washu a helping hand at most. (This would also detract).

On another note, what do you people consider his sword-skills to be? We don't have much refrence material here: He got beaten by the greatest swordsman in history (Yosho), and beat Tenchi when he wasn't trying and was using a sword he couldn't really control. There's quite a lot of room between those two extremes ^_^
Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2002, 11:17 AM   #4   [permalink]
Sergeant Wittmann

Here's one more thing: Kagato has no heart. If he has enough reason to he will ruin your life, he'll do anything to further his aims. There's a nice quote from Macbeth concerning this but I forgot it.
As for Kagato telling Ryoko he made her, this is just more mind -------. He knew perfectly well who made her but he said otherwise to control her.
Old 21-07-2002, 04:06 PM   #5   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
Quote:
Originally posted by Fanatic
I quite agree. Though I find one detail to detract from his ultra-cool image:

He stated that he created Ryoko, but we know Washu did this.

So either he is lying (which would make him less cool and less stylish)
Or he is deluding himself, telling himself that he created her though he gave Washu a helping hand at most. (This would also detract).
Why should we expect an ultra nasty villian to be honest?
iwakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2002, 12:11 AM   #6   [permalink]
Shenrezade
Executive Member

Okay, as far back as I can remember, Kagato said he didn't create Ryoko, he just chose her form because it was convienient. There were three people who worked on Ryoko, if memory serves right. Washu provided the material, Kagato worked on the physical structure, and some other guy in the manga gave Ryoko her sword. So, if Kagato said he "created" Ryoko, he meant he made her form.

As for his sword skills, Tenchi got in a lucky strike while Kagato's back was turned, and the other hit he got was when he was under the influence of his Lighthawk powers. As for Yosho, his match with Kagato was too short to actually say one way or the other, and Yosho tossed the master key into Funaho. So we don't really have enough info on Kagato's sword play to comment one way or the other.
Old 22-07-2002, 01:31 AM   #7   [permalink]
Ralvire
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Ralvire
Kagato was a pretty sweet villian, he did everything an anime villian is required of ^_^ plus, he wasn't a wussy, and he really was evil.
Old 22-07-2002, 02:03 AM   #8   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Plus Kagato can play the piano now how much more sauve can you get
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2002, 02:59 AM   #9   [permalink]
Shenrezade
Executive Member

You can't get more suave, Orochi. To do so would defy the laws of nature. The reprocussions would be... severe...
Old 22-07-2002, 03:40 PM   #10   [permalink]

Unfortunately we can't include info from the manga into the OVA, there was a third person but it wasn't Yakage, it was Naja from the Shin Tenchi Novels co-written by MrK himself.

Yeah, I think his comments of creating Ryoko were just either him being delusional, or mind games in order to keep Ryoko under his control.

As for Kagato's sword skills, he defeated a younger King Asuza in the Shin Novel Jurai. Of course we don't know how good of a swordsman Asuza is, but we can say that he would be more powerful then Tenchi. Compared to Yosho, we don't know, the question is who taught Yosho? Was it his father or perhaps Seto, the woman who taught Asuza? Then add another 700 years worth of training Shinto style, and maybe Yosho is the greatest swordsman in the universe.

As for the reasons why Kagato rules, yep one huge nod of agreement here.

BGC fans check this out:Bubblegum Crisis: The Movie
Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2002, 11:38 PM   #11   [permalink]
Fanatic
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iwakura

Why should we expect an ultra nasty villian to be honest?
An Ultra-nasty one no. A stylish one, yes.
Anyone can lie, but it is low and bad style. Mind-games and manipulations are cool, but they are only really impressive if you never tell a single lie. Think: Xelloss. ^_^
Old 23-07-2002, 07:13 PM   #12   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
Quote:
Originally posted by Fanatic

An Ultra-nasty one no. A stylish one, yes.
Anyone can lie, but it is low and bad style. Mind-games and manipulations are cool, but they are only really impressive if you never tell a single lie. Think: Xelloss. ^_^
Sometimes I think Kagato isn't really a liar intentionally, but delusional. He's not really telling the truth, but he believes it is the truth.

Is that sytlish by your book?
iwakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2002, 08:17 PM   #13   [permalink]
Icantpickascreename
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Icantpickascreename
I don't think he's a liar, but psycho...
Old 23-07-2002, 10:38 PM   #14   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
I respect Kagato's work… Sure he's evil, Cunning sometimes sadistic, person… But he's still lovable… I mean his intellengece was shown in knowing about the gems with using Ryoko to penatrate Juri's defences and able to kidnap washu the "Smartest in the Universe" She only uses the computer for that!
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2002, 11:24 PM   #15   [permalink]
Fanatic
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iwakura

Sometimes I think Kagato isn't really a liar intentionally, but delusional. He's not really telling the truth, but he believes it is the truth.

Is that sytlish by your book?
Uhmm.. sorta. IMHO, being delusional is more stylish than resorting to lies. Of course, being delusional doesn't neccessarily add to style, but a 'complex mind' can be a plus ^_^