Old 03-08-2002, 12:43 PM   #1   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

New Anime Forum

Well Animenation just introduced a Coming Anime forum

Coming Anime
Discussion of new stuff not yet released in the west. As always, fansub discussion is fine, but no links to HK or bootlegs.

Also Drizzten thought a forum for new anime might be good idea, this is taken from Fireflystar's leaving thread. Firefly is in the bold.

Animeboards has a lack of people posting in the actual anime section. I've tried limiting myself to only anime discussions, but it's a ghost board.

Newer anime doesn't even have a forum for it. So you're forced to talk about a new anime in one huge gigantic thread that you don't feel like reading thru and just forget about it.

This sounds contradictory. You'd be spending at least as much time crawling though ten small threads on one anime as reading through two large ones. You freely admit there is discussion, but you then say you're too lazy to participate. Doesn't make sense.

Your comment about new anime not having it's own forum has more merit.

I think a forum for new animes would be a good idea, it would give an idea of what new animes are popular (for future forum ideas) and would leave the general anime forum to animes that are out already. And if they prove popular they could also get their own forums eventually.

Anyone else think a coming animes forum would be a good idea?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 01:13 PM   #2   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to ATh
so it would become another general anime forum that only sports one huge thread for each series?

not exactly a great idea when we already have a forum for that.

ATh
ATh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 12:50 AM   #3   [permalink]
Kayay
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kayay
It already falls under the catagory of General and Other Anime.
Kayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 03:42 AM   #4   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Oh god your kidding aren't you? Thanks for telling me that, i'll go over to that forum now phew what next.. will the sky be blue...

so it would become another general anime forum that only sports one huge thread for each series?

Yes it would be one forum that sports one huge thread for each series, but unlike the general and other anime forum it will only contain new animes, no polls, no lists, no what should I watch next threads, no <insert company> sucks threads, no ranking threads, no general character threads etc

It will just be a forum focused on new coming animes, it would be an easier way to see which series are discussed heavily (isn't that like the main factor for which series gets a forum), it would be easy to keep track of threads. I've lost count of how many threads have been merged/closed by Drizzten because nobody posted in a similar thread for a few days and hence the thread slipped. Yes people should look for existing threads, but people shouldn't litter either. People are going to be lazy and not bother to search for existant threads, people will litter. You would think it would make it easier for people to keep track of threads if they had a seperate forum.

With the increasing usage of the General and Other Anime Forum, it will just get worse and worse as more members join up, Animenation makes AB seem quiet compared to them and they had new threads for let's say Chobits every 2-3 pages. Since the introduction of the new anime forum theirs one thread for each anime, which is nice and easy to keep track of.

Its just a suggestion, no need for anyone to state the obvious in an attempt to appear smart.

Last edited by Westlo; 05-08-2002 at 04:01 AM.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:04 AM   #5   [permalink]
I'm not a doll
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to I'm not a doll Send a message via AIM to I'm not a doll Send a message via MSN to I'm not a doll Send a message via Yahoo to I'm not a doll
Still doesnít sound any different to the general anime forum that we already have /...,, all it'll do is spilt up the general anime forum ,, doing that alone wont help it....

Anyway if you want more people to post in the anime forum then donít let the few annoying people on this board complain every time a new thread is made that there is already one about that anime...
I'm not a doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 04:16 AM   #6   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

I don't think anybody really complains, it's not like anybody goes

Foolish Idiot, their is a thread for <insert anime> on page 29. How could you have missed it. Get your eyes checked you son of a camel!!.

Then again perhaps nobody gets a chance since Drizzten is very quick in closing and merging these threads.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:52 AM   #7   [permalink]
Kawaii Miko
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Location: Aden, Aria Server, Lineage II, Laptop, Boudoir, Shidonii, Oosutaraiya
Send a message via ICQ to Kawaii Miko Send a message via AIM to Kawaii Miko Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Miko
It all depends on the popularity on the anime itself Westlo. Animeboards are not in competition with Animenation's forums and other related anime messageboards. This is just to keep things minimal and organised here. Most of the newer titles are landed in General and Other Anime all the time. Until further notice and popular demand, we may take it into consideration into creating a new forum for that particular anime.

There is no need for a new anime forum in a matter of a split second.

Edit: I don't know how that link adds itself on my post

Last edited by Kawaii_No_Miko; 05-08-2002 at 05:10 AM.
Kawaii Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 08:15 AM   #8   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Westlo
it will only contain new animes, no polls, no lists, no what should I watch next threads, no <insert company> sucks threads, no ranking threads, no general character threads etc

how much would you bet that there wont be any

'what NEW ANIME SERIES SHOULD I WATCH NEXT?' threads occurring

or, Poll: whats your favourite new anime series

List your fav NEW anime series!!!!!!!!

<insert company> sucks because all the new series they are pulling out.......

OOOO, who is your fav character from <insert title of new anime>

besides what is a new anime? something that has been out in japan for a day?

or something like the eva movies, that are only being released in the west this year (maybe......) they are both 'new' in the sense of the word.

ATh
Old 05-08-2002, 09:58 AM   #9   [permalink]
thedarkmarine
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ATh

how much would you bet that there wont be any

'what NEW ANIME SERIES SHOULD I WATCH NEXT?' threads occurring

It's called rules. You mods enforce the rules.

or, Poll: whats your favourite new anime series

They're called mod powers. Mods usually don't break these kinds of rules.

List your fav NEW anime series!!!!!!!!

They're called mod enforced rules

<insert company> sucks because all the new series they are pulling out.......

I've yet to see more than 10 of these thread in the entire time I've been at AB.

OOOO, who is your fav character from <insert title of new anime>

It's called Drizz's all powerful merge button.

besides what is a new anime? something that has been out in japan for a day?

It's called member descrition, and requests for mod's to move, or letting the thread sink.

or something like the eva movies, that are only being released in the west this year (maybe......) they are both 'new' in the sense of the word.

It's called an EVA forum.

ATh

TDm
thedarkmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 10:09 AM   #10   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

TDm you obviously have no idea what the mods do.

You show me in the rules page where is specifically says that

1)'what NEW ANIME SERIES SHOULD I WATCH NEXT?' threads
2)Poll: whats your favourite new anime series
3)List your fav NEW anime series!!!!!!!!

Threads are not permitted on ab, or in the 'specific forum you are talking about.

4)OOOO, who is your fav character from <insert title of new anime>

---- so if it is the first thread Drizz will use his all powerful merge button how? merge it to your ignorance?

5)besides what is a new anime? something that has been out in japan for a day?
It's called member descrition, and requests for mod's to move, or letting the thread sink.

well according to you, if a forum for a series already exists then all of the threads relating to that forum go there.

We already have a general anime forum, which covers ALL series which do not have a specific forum dedicated to them, this includes all of the 'new series'

so problem solved ^^

ATh

Last edited by ATh; 05-08-2002 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:20 AM   #11   [permalink]
Schizm
V.I.P. Member

While a New Anime forum does have merit, the definition of New Anime would need to be established. As Ath said, New Anime could be New in Japan, or New in the US or New in Australia etc. And, when does New Anime stop being New? Two months after airing in Japan? Two months after release in the West? And, when this New Anime is no longer New, what of the threads about it in the New Anime Forum? Do they stay? Do they get deleted? Do they get moved into the other appropriate forums? It seems like alot of unneccessary work when anyone can start a thread about any New Anime they want in the General Anime Forum and have meaningful discussions about it..........

Any how, it (as always) is up to George, and no one else.

My n00b=ADdispatcher
Schizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 01:53 PM   #12   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
It sure is exciting logging in while at work! I should do this more often.

Westlo, I agreed that Fireflystar's comment had more merit than the other remarks said. It doesn't necessesarily mean I want such a forum. Might as well say I do think it's a good idea.

Examples of how such a forum would work:

"New anime": defined as having been released in Japan no longer than two years ago and being unlicensed outside the country. (this being the main point of debate as I see it, at what time the cutoff is made)

There could be a stuck thread at the top of the forum explaining that new series discussion should stick to one thread, unless the topic is large enough to warrant it's own thread (i.e., Who's Soul is in Unit-00 vs. What are the Motivations of the Angels?). Duplicate topic or general topic threads concerning the same anime get merged or closed. This sticky thread would also explain that once a series no longer meets the "new anime" criteria, it gets moved into Other Anime. If a forum is made specifically for that anime, it gets moved there.

Since this forum would inevitably be discussing things not legally obtainable, there would be reiterated language concerning downloads and copyrighted material.

Whoever would be assigned to this forum to mod it would keep in mind the time-sensitive nature of the discussion within and would obviously have descretion to manage polls and such. I believe Westlo's complaint about the clutter in Other Anime pertains to all the non-new anime clutter pushing out the discussion of new anime. Moderated polls on the topic of new anime wouldn't be a problem in a New Anime forum.

A possible sticking point may be mix-ups among members who want to use New Anime as a forum for discussion upcoming anime, which should be kept in Other Anime.

Stop being a hyperliteralist ass, ATh. Just like the manga forum, there would be special rules for a New Anime forum. That they haven't been written yet is merely because there is no New Anime forum.
Drizzten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 02:00 PM   #13   [permalink]
Kawaii Miko
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Location: Aden, Aria Server, Lineage II, Laptop, Boudoir, Shidonii, Oosutaraiya
Send a message via ICQ to Kawaii Miko Send a message via AIM to Kawaii Miko Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Miko
Erm...Looks at both Drizzten and ATh

Geez, must you two be so nit picky on this?

Sighs and finishes her letter and generic bishoujo pic for her fans
Old 05-08-2002, 06:36 PM   #14   [permalink]
thedarkmarine
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ATh
TDm you obviously have no idea what the mods do.

You show me in the rules page where is specifically says that

1)'what NEW ANIME SERIES SHOULD I WATCH NEXT?' threads
2)Poll: whats your favourite new anime series
3)List your fav NEW anime series!!!!!!!!

Threads are not permitted on ab, or in the 'specific forum you are talking about.

Sorry for not explaining myself. Note the special rules in the intro forum. Similar technique can apply here.

4)OOOO, who is your fav character from <insert title of new anime>

---- so if it is the first thread Drizz will use his all powerful merge button how? merge it to your ignorance?

Merge this thread with <insert title of new anime> thread. Now, I'm starting to feel a little offended here...

5)besides what is a new anime? something that has been out in japan for a day?

well according to you, if a forum for a series already exists then all of the threads relating to that forum go there.

We already have a general anime forum, which covers ALL series which do not have a specific forum dedicated to them, this includes all of the 'new series'

There are 2 types of people in this world. Those who want the best, and those who stay content with mediocre.

so problem solved ^^

ATh
Old 05-08-2002, 07:52 PM   #15   [permalink]
thedarkmarine
Forum Master

A simple way to say "New anime" is to classify one as such if it is not finished aring in Japan. Most will agree that discussion dies once a series is finished.