Old 20-08-2002, 10:20 PM   #1   [permalink]
Ukiki

Lightbulb Nadesico Popularity movement

alright, i think we all know that not enough people have seen nadesico. And most of us think that more people should see it. why don't we try and spread the word on it to get more fellow fans(and maybe make ADV/Madman more money for new releases ). i'm not saying we could make a huge difference, but if you just meet people on the web, talk to them, and try to get them interested(and then tell them to join AB DEFINATELY), also we can probably spread the word within AB *cough*EVAfans*cough*
who's with me?
Old 21-08-2002, 01:48 AM   #2   [permalink]
death
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to death
I will try. Though i dont expect any miricals...
-Me
Life is but a sweet, slow death
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2002, 04:24 PM   #3   [permalink]
ClefFSChan
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to ClefFSChan
Hey all I'm all for this. Its time to move on old faithful Eva and Dragonball fans, for once, this anime deserves its justice, and I certainly think not enough people have seen this delightful anime, so yes, I to well help in the Martian Successor Nadesico/Mobile Battleship Nadescio Movement
Old 21-08-2002, 07:17 PM   #4   [permalink]
Eddy
Forum Master

Nadesico is far too jokey ofr a wide band openly commkunicated broad based music festival.

"There's a molester in your bathroom"-Oh my Goddess

"Akito! come join me in the shower!-Nadesico
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2002, 09:24 PM   #5   [permalink]
Ukiki

uhhh... yeah.... 0.o
hehe, well anyway, we can try can't we? besides, anime isn't all that popular in england anyway... so i can understand why you're so pessimistic...
Old 22-08-2002, 02:11 AM   #6   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
I am quite willing to back this cause. Count me in!
Considering the acclaim and the popularity Nadesico scored in Japan, I find it baffling that it isn't as popular in the western cultures.
In recent years there have been an influx of anime mecha series in Japan - yet whether or not it is successful is a gue issue as all series have a tough act to follow.
I am talking, of course, about Eva.

Seems to me, that the influx of anime mecha series will, inevitably, draw comparions to Eva. Whilst I found (and still do) Eva a ground-breaking series, it seems evident that the only way a mecha series will get any notice is by adding something new to the table. Sadly, most of these series sink without a trace (think Candidate for Goddess).

Some however succeed. Like......

Nadesico
Comparisons to Eva are obvious (Ruri=Rei, Akito=Shinji, Yurika=Mistao, Prospector=Gendo....) but this series works as the makers place a lot more emphasis on comedy. Ultimatly while Eva is an anime about the needs for acceptance, Nadesico is an anime about enjoying anime - and succeeds (along with cool space battles thrown in as well). After all, isn't that why we watch anime in the first place?!

Gasaraki
While Eva is a landmark in anime history, it isn't without flaws. The plot maybe loaded with intrigue, but it only presents more questions then answering any. Gasaraki, however, learns from this mistake and uses it wisely. Comparisons to Eva are too inevitable but Gasaraki has a distinguished production crew, high production rates, an engaging plot and an astonishingly commendable quality of animation.

Vandread
Come down Eva, your successor is here.
What Eva established, Vandread takes and improves. With a well-plotted story, characters worth caring about, startling animation, and cool space battles this is a series destinied for success.
Yes, it may bear comparions to Eva - somewhat - but, like Gasaraki, the makers learn from Eva and seek to better it.
And considering that GONZO's popularity is growing immensely, such a move has certainly paid off.

Ultimatly, even though Eva is a landmark in anime history, the time has truly come to move on.
If one of my cartoons has brought joy and laughter to just one person, if I have been able to make just one person simply smile and forget their troubles for only a moment, then that cartoon, clearly, was not worth drawing
- The Complete Far Side
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2002, 02:44 AM   #7   [permalink]
DNA_Master
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to DNA_Master Send a message via AIM to DNA_Master Send a message via MSN to DNA_Master Send a message via Yahoo to DNA_Master
have lent a friend the first 2 tapes
am working on converting her to anime
will report on progress.

Gasaraki started out good... but soon got really, really boring. I kind of got sick of Miharu and whats-his-face-the-shinji-wannabe just having psychotic fits of paranoia, backed up by over three dozen shadowy organisations wanting to either capture, shoot, clone, mutilate, or all of the above Miharu and whats-his-face.

Mind you, the line of "no! the terror! dont bring it back!" has become one of my favorite lines to use whenever something is brought up in a lecture...

Once Vandread FINALLY comes out in Australia, I'll see about lending my friend that, too... either that, or invite her over for a Vandread marathon

Remember kids... she's not underage! She's fun-size!
DNA_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2002, 07:27 AM   #8   [permalink]
Darkiessx

Send a message via AIM to Darkiessx
I personally am reletively new to anime *having started officially with the airing of BGC way back in 2001 on SBS*
and nadesico had me hooked after the first episode......
I recently *just 4 days ago* completed my nadesico collection with the final 4 DVD's and watched them the day after and it still remains in my good graces....
.... in short long live nadesico, it deserves to be there with the greats!
Darkiessx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2002, 09:29 AM   #9   [permalink]
Stangg

[ramble] Well, I got into anime with Robotech when I was about 4 and have been hooked on it since. I love Robotech, I think i like it more than anything else cos of the nostalgia and stuff.

But, second to that I loke Eva (don't flame me yet), my friend lent the first 2 tapes to me and I was hooked from the first time the word's "LAUNCH EVA!" were screamed by Misato. So, in search of another anime that could live up to Eva I decided to buy BGC Tokyo 2040 tapes (gee was i dissapointed) I ended up selling them about a month later and decided to buy the first DVD of Nadesico (in absence of anything else buy Ruiro Kenshin or whatever) and got hooked on it worse than Eva, and after first introducing my workmates to the world of Eva I then gave them something brighter and more light-hearted and they all LOVED it.

Now, back to liking Eva more than Nadesico? Only by a bit, there's just something about Asuka that is cool, and reminds me of my girlfriend. Once again, I think it's cos I've watched Eva a lot more and studied it etc. I like the deepish plot and stuff, it keeps me more interested thatn Nadesico.

Do I sound like I'm posting in the wrong forum? Hmmmm . . . . I better stop now.

[/ramble]

So what I'm trying to say is, I've already done my part by converting all my friends to Nadesico, and they in turn have done the same.
Old 22-08-2002, 11:35 AM   #10   [permalink]
Kawaii Miko
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Location: Aden, Aria Server, Lineage II, Laptop, Boudoir, Shidonii, Oosutaraiya
Send a message via ICQ to Kawaii Miko Send a message via AIM to Kawaii Miko Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Miko
Quote:
Originally posted by Stangg
(in absence of anything else buy Ruiro Kenshin or whatever)
Erm, for the record its Rurouni Kenshin, unless its a typo error

And now kiddies, let's remain on topic here or I'll get Mr. Bokken to lecture you on "The importance of Remaining On Topic"
Old 22-08-2002, 04:31 PM   #11   [permalink]
dmaf2002

I'll join the good fight to get MSN more popular- if i do, then maybe the boxset will comre out in the UK!
dmaf2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2002, 08:27 PM   #12   [permalink]
Stangg

Yeah, by whatever I meant "or however it's spelt"

thanks
Old 23-08-2002, 12:44 AM   #13   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
Yeah I would like to see Nadesico be as popular as Eva and DBZ. It has a bit of everything in it. It has Action/Comedy/Drama. But yet it's not all that popular in the Western World. It was Popular in Japan, but that seems to be it. I think when people give it a chance they love it, but because they don't know much about it, they stay away from it for some reason.
Old 23-08-2002, 04:15 PM   #14   [permalink]
ClefFSChan
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to ClefFSChan
Quote:
Yeah I would like to see Nadesico be as popular as Eva and DBZ. It has a bit of everything in it. It has Action/Comedy/Drama. But yet it's not all that popular in the Western World. It was Popular in Japan, but that seems to be it. I think when people give it a chance they love it, but because they don't know much about it, they stay away from it for some reason.
exactly wolfpac