Old 08-10-2002, 11:00 AM   #16   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by Yasei Chi
Yes, Reload picks up where the Saiyuki manga left off. Minekura-sempai had to change publishers, apparently, which is also probably why the anime series is taking a hiatus. ^_^

Yes. Yes, you're right. 'Cept it was Gonou (Hakkai before the 1000 youkai), not Hakkai, really. ^_^;;;
Oh yeah, it was Gonou of course.

Thanks for the info. So is the possiblity for more Saiyuki anime still open? Considering the manga is still running...
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 11:03 AM   #17   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by Shax
I thought Gonou was living in an orphanage before he moved away? I didn't know he had any family (left)

Well....SPOILER...yeah he grew up in an orphanage and his sister grew up in a separate orphanage. Gonou always felt a part of him was missing and so eventually he and his sister found each other again. Then they live together and...uh...become lovers. I'm not actually sure that they knew they were related. They may have just been drawn to each other by fate or something. I don't know the details. I just read an overview somewhere. My info may not be 100% accurate.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:13 AM   #18   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Yes, Chin Isou. I don't know how much more he's developed in the manga, but he is apparently creepier. And Minekura-sempai said on her webpage that he's her favorite, while apologizing to fans. ^_^ And to the spoiler question: yes.
Minekura has such an interesting idea of characters. She has NO "heroic" or at least "noble" characters. Or if they are heroic and noble, then they just get beaten up by those who aren't, like Kougaiji getting beaten up. Or they can't really accomplish anything, like Yaone.

All of her main characters have major flaws. Sanzo's just an @$$. Hakkai is NOT the nice guy he appears to be, Goku is not innocent, and Gojyo has insecurity issues and is a lech.

And the fact that she likes Chin Isou, yeah she has a VERY different opinion from the norm. But that's what makes Saiyuki soo great!

Heh, I can just imagine if Minekura's characters took on any of Yuu Watase's characters (Miaka *cough* Tamahome *cough*), they'd get the crap beaten out of them. (Miaka: "Love can fix everything! If we just beleive in each other!" yeah and if Sanzo said that I would throw up.)

Of course, that gives FY its own appeal too. I just like FY and Saiyuki for different reasons. Its funny how opposite Watase and Minekura's ideas are. I wonder if they've met in real life?

Last edited by jennwenn; 08-10-2002 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2002, 08:12 PM   #19   [permalink]
Yasei Chi
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Yasei Chi
Yes, your spoiler comment about Gonou and the orphanage is pretty much correct.

Quote:
Originally posted by jennwenn
Of course, that gives FY its own appeal too. I just like FY and Saiyuki for different reasons. Its funny how opposite Watase and Minekura's ideas are. I wonder if they've met in real life?
You never know. ^_^
Old 09-10-2002, 07:34 PM   #20   [permalink]
EKnatsumi
Executive Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EKnatsumi
Me Cho Hakkai.

And I'm a girl!

I'm not complaining. Hakkai is my favorite Saiyuki boy!

EK 8 )

Last edited by EKnatsumi; 09-10-2002 at 07:36 PM.
EKnatsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:04 PM   #21   [permalink]
Yasei Chi
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by EKnatsumi
Me Cho Hakkai.

And I'm a girl!

I'm not complaining. Hakkai is my favorite Saiyuki boy!

EK 8 )
Heheh. I'm a girl too, and I got Kougaiji. ::shrug::

And jennwenn, since I forgot to answer the question before...yes, there is a possibility of more Saiyuki anime. At the end of the last ep, they said something like "Hope to see you again" or somesuch. We're all pretty sure here (in our apartment, which is all addicted to Saiyuki) that they'll be animating more.

And they'd dang well better show Hakkai's youkai form this time! ::emphatic pounding of fist on table::
Old 09-10-2002, 09:55 PM   #22   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Heheh. I'm a girl too, and I got Kougaiji. ::shrug::

And jennwenn, since I forgot to answer the question before...yes, there is a possibility of more Saiyuki anime. At the end of the last ep, they said something like "Hope to see you again" or somesuch. We're all pretty sure here (in our apartment, which is all addicted to Saiyuki) that they'll be animating more.

And they'd dang well better show Hakkai's youkai form this time! ::emphatic pounding of fist on table::
More!!!! Yes!!!! Saiyuki made a lot of money in Japan didn't it? That alone should be proper incentive for the production companies.

They never show Hakkai's youkai form?! You're right, they shouldn't leave that out. I wanna see it too.

Oh, and I'm a girl too and got Hakkai. Hmm, I'm sensing a pattern with Saiyuki fans here...Its not just a girl thing really! Its not yaoi or anything...Although there are some HILARIOUS yaoi jokes heh...

BTW, what do you think of the Saiyuki music Yasei chi?

I love all the opening and ending themes, Open up Your mind, Blue...There are a lot of good ones.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:02 PM   #23   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Yes, it's rather good as far as filler goes, especially filler with totally made-up characters. One problem we had was the out-of-character episode (the snow one), but that wasn't a very big problem at all. ^_^
I've just watched the snow episode (which is episode 33 or 34), and I think its one of the best Saiyuki episodes I've seen. Lots of characterization of Empress Gyoukamen (that B@#$ !), and the twin youkai characters were interesting, and cute. *sniff* . SPOILERS Its too bad that they only appear in one episode. They had so much depth and plot potential. What happened to their parents? And were they born as special youkai or did Gyoukamen do that to them?

I didn't find that this episode was out of character for Homura. I mean, he is a villain isn't he? SPOILER I expected him to kill that girl. It was his job in heaven to kill after all. I also think its still in character for him to ask her to join him and then spare her the first time. He also converted some other youkai in an earlier episode too, so he is capable of mercy too. He always lets Goku and others go...

I'm interested, what did you think was out of character?

Last edited by jennwenn; 09-10-2002 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:24 PM   #24   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

OMG I think Wyclef Jean raps a song from Saiyuki!!!

American rapper and Japanese J-pop?!?! Rapper and Anime?!?! I cannot beleive this!!!!

The song "Bouce with me" is sung in Japanese with a very American-sound, and has a rapper who sounds like Wyclef and features these lines:

"and tell your neighbors it was Wyclef and Saiyuki"
So cool!
"Hey check this out: ichi, ni, san, shi..."
Wyclef tries out his Japanese. hehe.

Someone tell me I'm not dreaming. Has anyone else heard this song? Is this the anime Saiyuki or some band called Saiyuki?

(I also posted this in the Music forum here)

Man I am in shock! Good shock though! This is cool...

Last edited by jennwenn; 09-10-2002 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:00 AM   #25   [permalink]
Yasei Chi
Forum Addicted

As to your post right before this, jennwenn, I have no clue. ^_^

I love the music in Saiyuki. It's too bad that Kougaiji doesn't have an image song. It would be so cool if I learned it, 'specially since I cosplay Kougaiji. (this picture is actually me, my 3 roommates, and our friend who lives across the street, all at Otakon 2002 ^_^)

And as for the out-of-character snow episode, it was mostly out of character for Sanzo.

***SPOILERS***

Toward the end, when the boy youkai asked Sanzo to release him, and Sanzo didn't, that was out of character. If Sanzo had been acting like he normally does, he would've killed the boy. ::shrug:: But basically, any episode after about 26 or so is filler anyway.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:07 AM   #26   [permalink]
7thKeeper
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to 7thKeeper Send a message via AIM to 7thKeeper Send a message via Yahoo to 7thKeeper
Quote:
Originally posted by jennwenn
OMG I think Wyclef Jean raps a song from Saiyuki!!!

American rapper and Japanese J-pop?!?! Rapper and Anime?!?! I cannot beleive this!!!!

The song "Bouce with me" is sung in Japanese with a very American-sound, and has a rapper who sounds like Wyclef and features these lines:

"and tell your neighbors it was Wyclef and Saiyuki"
So cool!
"Hey check this out: ichi, ni, san, shi..."
Wyclef tries out his Japanese. hehe.

Someone tell me I'm not dreaming. Has anyone else heard this song? Is this the anime Saiyuki or some band called Saiyuki?

(I also posted this in the Music forum here)

Man I am in shock! Good shock though! This is cool...
Heh hee... yes I have that song too. It's good! I got some real kicks from hearing it the first time. Dunno myself if it's a band called Saiyuki or the anime, though I got the song from a guy who had a collection of Saiyuki music and it was among them.

Hmm.. other Saiyuki songs I like:

Proud of My Loneliness (Goku's Image song?)
Bunny Doll (heh hee.. latino-like music)
Bitter Fruits
For Real (the opening, guitar and piano versions)
Flashback (Hakkai's theme as far as I know..damn if it's not one of the saddest tunes I've ever heard)
Tightrope
Still Time
Alone
Memories (this one really lifts my spirit up ^.^)

sooo many good songs...
7thKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 09:07 AM   #27   [permalink]
EKnatsumi
Executive Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EKnatsumi
You mean a girl wrote Saiyuki? Sorry, I didn't know. ^_^

As to the Hakkai-not-going-youkai question, I think I saw it earlier, much earlier in the series. Around the time he fought that Chinese guy with mahjong tiles. Rather shadowy version, though.

But if you mean we never got to see Hakkai turning from human to demon, you're all quite right. I wanted to see that too. Much like seeing Kenshin go Battousai. ^_^x

EK 8 )
EKnatsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 11:25 AM   #28   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

I see your point about Sanzo being out of character. SPOILER PAST EP 20Yeah, he never had any hesitations about killing before, like in Episode 19 with the parasite youkai in those girls...

I get the impression that most of Saiyuki is filler...good filler, but filler none the less. They ALWAYS put off all the really big confrontations.

aww, the pic didn't work. I was always love cosplay pics too...

Last edited by jennwenn; 10-10-2002 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:28 AM   #29   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by 7thKeeper
Heh hee... yes I have that song too. It's good! I got some real kicks from hearing it the first time. Dunno myself if it's a band called Saiyuki or the anime, though I got the song from a guy who had a collection of Saiyuki music and it was among them.

Hmm.. other Saiyuki songs I like:

Proud of My Loneliness (Goku's Image song?)
Bunny Doll (heh hee.. latino-like music)
Bitter Fruits
For Real (the opening, guitar and piano versions)
Flashback (Hakkai's theme as far as I know..damn if it's not one of the saddest tunes I've ever heard)
Tightrope
Still Time
Alone
Memories (this one really lifts my spirit up ^.^)

sooo many good songs...
Yep, I love all of those too. The piano versions of Alone and For Real are great.

So the song was on a Saiyuki anime music CD? Then I guess it must be the anime. How cool. Heh, now they should play that on MTV, with Saiyuki anime clips in the background...
Old 10-10-2002, 11:30 AM   #30   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by EKnatsumi
You mean a girl wrote Saiyuki? Sorry, I didn't know. ^_^

As to the Hakkai-not-going-youkai question, I think I saw it earlier, much earlier in the series. Around the time he fought that Chinese guy with mahjong tiles. Rather shadowy version, though.

But if you mean we never got to see Hakkai turning from human to demon, you're all quite right. I wanted to see that too. Much like seeing Kenshin go Battousai. ^_^x

EK 8 )
Yeah, I had no idea too! It really doesn't seem like a girl thing to write/draw. I was very suprised. But then Rumiko Takahashi doesn't do "girl" type stuff either...

Yeah, I can't remember exactly, but I don't think they show more than Hakkai's shadow, if anything at all...