Old 23-10-2002, 07:37 PM   #1   [permalink]
RCX

Send a message via ICQ to RCX
Is vBulletin not recommended for servers that require stability??

Iíve been visiting this forum for over a year now, and I have noticed a LOT of downtime on the forums, Does this imply that vBulletin is a poor board to use for large amount of traffic or is it poorly administrated?

I donít intend this to be a flame, but I was thinking of changing my forums to vBulletin but I donít want to be taking it down multiply times a month for repairs.

If the problems have been explained elsewhere can some direct me to the post.

Cheers
-RCX
Old 23-10-2002, 07:53 PM   #2   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Eva has this fetish about visualizing AB members crying as they click the "refresh" button every few minutes. That's the real reason why he's enforced so much downtime recently. He's such a sadist.

One of the things to consider is that Eva works pretty closely with the vB development team and he updates the forum software whenever he sees new stuff come out. That, and we've had some minor database glitches in the past (I don't know if they were caused by vB problems or not), so he decided to take more precautions against possible forum failure. Also note that in the last message to us from the "not quite done yet" progress page, he said there were some bugs he wanted to work out before he was ready to set the forum back up.

Basically, I don't think there are any stability issues with vB worth worrying about. Eva is just an update/precaution whore.
Old 23-10-2002, 08:51 PM   #3   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Re: Is vBulletin not recommended for servers that require stability??

Quote:
Originally posted by RCX
Iíve been visiting this forum for over a year now, and I have noticed a LOT of downtime on the forums, Does this imply that vBulletin is a poor board to use for large amount of traffic or is it poorly administrated?

I donít intend this to be a flame, but I was thinking of changing my forums to vBulletin but I donít want to be taking it down multiply times a month for repairs.

If the problems have been explained elsewhere can some direct me to the post.

Cheers
-RCX
well first off i work for vbulletin.com tech support so i maybe biased (i only started working for them after i was a customer of theres for 1.5 yrs)

1. downtime is not server problems but precautionary in nature - i do bi-daily backups of 1.2+ GB sized forum database - i'm over cautious you may say

2. early 2 yrs ago when i started AB, the downtime came to a combination of under powered server and poor server admin by me but recent downtime is just me being paraniod and doing forum upgrades and spending days testing and retesting if all works...

Last edited by eva2000; 23-10-2002 at 08:52 PM.