Old 27-10-2002, 10:46 PM   #1   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungAffen Send a message via MSN to AchtungAffen
Shoujo anime?

Is shoujo anime the type of anime for boys to watch (I mean fancy girls and stuff) or by the other side, Shoujo anime is for Shoujo's to watch?
Old 27-10-2002, 10:52 PM   #2   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
It all depends on how secure you are in your masculinity, or if you just like to ogle
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2002, 10:58 PM   #3   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

But I'm asking for the concept of it, like : is shoujo anime for girls to watch, or for boys because there are girls there?
Old 27-10-2002, 11:08 PM   #4   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

AA, your instinct is right. Shojo is *for* girls. Shonen is *for* boys. Nominally, of course.
Old 28-10-2002, 10:03 AM   #5   [permalink]
klinky
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to klinky
Ahh yes, but that doesn't mean that boys and girls can't enjoy shonen or shoujo.

Usually I like to classify any romantic/relationship type anime as Shoujo, even though it may not be Like Boys Be.

I enjoyed Kare Kano, To Heart and Boys Be, they all have the same idea to them, which I call Shoujo, but others will disagree and call Boys Be Shonen since it appeared in a Shonen manga distro over in Japan.

Still! My definition of Shoujo is "relationship anime". X is considered shoujo, though I would call it more action/adventure/"wussy magic crap" and also the word idiotic comes to mind.

~klinky
klinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2002, 10:59 AM   #6   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

Utena & Fruits Basket = Shoujo?
Noir & You're under Arrest = Shounen?

Have I learned the concept?
(I know it's not an absolute truth, but would this be the way of classification?)
Old 28-10-2002, 11:10 AM   #7   [permalink]
klinky
Executive Member

The actual thing is :

Shoujo: Bubbles, Love, Pretty Boys, Kawaii Animals

Shounen: Boobs, Fighting, Cars, Guns, Boobs

It's usually determined by what type of Manga distro magazine the original Manga gets put in(this relies on if the anime is from a Manga, most are).

Fruits Basket, you can look at the pretty boys and the bubbles and the lovu lovu and the cute animals, however I still enjoyed quite a bit of it

Tenchi Miyu or Love Hina, you can see the pretty girls, the boobage, the massive loving of a single guy. I didn't much enjoy Tenchi Miyu I liked love hina.

I don't like to truely classify Shoujo as girls comics or Shounen as boys comics, since usually both sexes enjoy them

~klinky
Old 28-10-2002, 11:45 AM   #8   [permalink]
Bekkichan
Forum Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Bekkichan Send a message via AIM to Bekkichan Send a message via Yahoo to Bekkichan
I've always thought of Shoujo as anything having (young) females in a lead role, and some kind of romantic theme. Usually aimed at girls but not exclusively, though Mahou Shoujo (magical girl) such as Sailor Moon are, I think, aimed directly at girls, usually young ones. Shounen, though, I'm not too sure of... I've seen Tenchi, Ah! My Goddess, and Love Hina labeled as Shounen, because they have multiple females living with/surrounding/crushing on one male main character. But I've also considered anything with (young) pretty male main characters and some degree of action to be Shounen.

Either one can be watched by anyone though. It all depends on your own taste. If you're into lovey-doveyness and attractive high school girls, watch Shoujo. If you like action and/or occasional yaoi fodder, watch Shounen. Or just avoid labels altogether and watch whatever you bloody well please.
Old 28-10-2002, 12:24 PM   #9   [permalink]
klinky
Executive Member

You are correct that Shoujo is aimed at girls, Shoujo means girl.

Shounen means boy or male... So it's aimed at boys.

Shounen is aimed at boys and unless they are gay boys, I don't think they would enjoy Yaoi Shounen does not contain Yaoi I don't think either would have it, though they may hint at it. Yaoi & Yuri are separate entities. Yaoi Boy/Boy luvu luvu, Yuri = Girl/Girl luvu.

Manga is distributed most of the time in large telephone book sited volumes, which contain chapters of tons of different Manga. I've got one here called La La, which is about the size of a large telephone book. It's full of all Shoujo. I know there are a bunch of other magazines including one called Shounen-Jump, which obviously hold Shounen comics That's usually how it's determined.

ToHeart was actually based off of a H-Game, but the anime is very light and shoujo-ie. Though some people don't claim it's shoujo for some reason Argh

My head explodes.. Nevermind

~klinky
Old 28-10-2002, 12:35 PM   #10   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

I didn't mind that Fruits Basket was aimed at girls, think I sensed since the beginning, I really enjoy it. I would have to be very closed minded not to like it. And generally most of this ultra shounen, like Burnup, I end up hating, because most of all, I agree with Mahoro....small is good
Old 28-10-2002, 02:16 PM   #11   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by klinky
The actual thing is :

Shoujo: Bubbles, Love, Pretty Boys, Kawaii Animals

Shounen: Boobs, Fighting, Cars, Guns, Boobs
I don't like to truely classify Shoujo as girls comics or Shounen as boys comics, since usually both sexes enjoy them
~klinky
True true. Do all shoujo anime get lazy and use the same magical bubbles background?!?! Oh and you should add sparkling eyes and yaoi suggestiveness to shoujo. And add panty shots to shounen.

Hmmm, but actually I know a few gay men who like yaoi shoujo stuff, even if the target audience was girls. Makes senes to me though.

Plus there are straight men who adore Card Captor Sakura, Sailor Moon, and Full Moon wo Sagashite, and those shows are as girly as you can get...

Really anyone can watch anything. Several female mangaka make shounen (Takahashi or Minekura) and even a few male mangaka make shoujo series (Pretear). Its just the target demographic that maybe specified but certainly not limited.

Its just like Hollywood has their "chick fllicks" and "action and explosions" genres that can but don't necessarily appeal to only guys or only girls.

Last edited by jennwenn; 28-10-2002 at 02:19 PM.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2002, 09:17 PM   #12   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
I fail to see why we should worry about the initial targeting of this when we know that anime was originally targeted at Japanese.

Similar to the argument for "Real men don't watch Shoujou" is that "Anime is un-American".

Shoujo is pretty harmless. Who cares if it's aimed at girls and some men like it.
iwakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2002, 10:47 PM   #13   [permalink]
Sylvan
Executive Member

Of course it doesnt matter, Escaflowne is considered Shoujou right? Well i love that show as well as many other Shoujou
Sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2002, 12:07 AM   #14   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

There are some shoujo anime I really like, and never get the macho complex to bother with it. If its good, I will watch it, even if its aimed at girls. My family members tell me sometimes "You fag!!", still I give them the finger and continue watching.
AchtungAffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2002, 12:37 AM   #15   [permalink]
Sylvan
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungAffen
There are some shoujo anime I really like, and never get the macho complex to bother with it. If its good, I will watch it, even if its aimed at girls. My family members tell me sometimes "You fag!!", still I give them the finger and continue watching.
ROFL i know how you feel! its funny from their perspective though. Im in your positition, but it would be funny to just walk buy and see your brother watching a show with a small school girl throwing flowers everywhere
Sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote