Old 13-01-2003, 02:03 AM   #16   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Has anyone heard of this one: "Manie Manie: Tales from the Labyrinth". I saw this in a French anime magazine and I'm just translating the title, so I don't know what other names it may be under.

Apprantly Katsuhiro Otomo, Kawajiri Yoshiyaki (Ninja Scroll), and Rintaro (X, Metropolis) directed segmends of this 3-part movie. It was made in 1987 and also sounds surreal from what I gathered in the description. The stories are about a girl who travels with her cat, a futuristic pilot described by a journalist, and another one about robots. Also seems similar to Memories...

Anyone know this title?

Last edited by jennwenn; 13-01-2003 at 02:07 AM.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2003, 04:33 AM   #17   [permalink]
Gryshnak
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by jennwenn
Hmmm, yeah I guess "artsy" is hard to describe. I think some posters here have got the idea though. I guess I'm just looking for the equivalent of independent, arthouse films in the anime world.

Or basically ANYTHING that is anime, bizarre, beautiful (or violent, whatever), and maybe stresses the visual more than dialogue? (that's not necessary though.) Any anime that is so "weird" and doesn't look like your average anime.
Yep, that definitely sounds like Serial Experiments Lain...
Gryshnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2003, 08:48 PM   #18   [permalink]
Dryden-san
Forum Elite

Angel's Egg doesn't have a meaning. You're free to read whatever you want into it, but the creative staff basically said, "it's art so it means whatever you want." They didn't have anything in mind beyond creating some stunning visuals. Not likely to come out over here anytime soon, unfortunately.

That seems to be the fate of a lot of these compilation or art films. Most of them would have a very small market and it doesn't help that anything with Otomo's name attatched to it costs a small fortune to liscense: this is one of the things keeping Memories on the other side of the pacific. But the R2 DVD does have very good subtitles, and there's hardly any dialogue to begin with in films like Robot Carnival and Angel's Egg. Your best chance for seeing any of this stuff is ordering it from Japan.

There is indeed another, less famous compilation piece called Manie Manie. It's also found under the name Neo-Tokyo. Less famous than it's brethern, but equally worthy of a viewing. If you can find it. *grumbles*
Dryden-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2003, 09:54 PM   #19   [permalink]
Sergeant Wittmann

Try some Mamoru Oshii on for size. He likes to do a lot of extremely beautiful backgrounds and lovingly focuses on them with eerie/pretty music. Also deep themes.

Patlabor 1, 2, and 3. Oshii didn't do three and it could've been artsier, but still.

Ghost in the Shell

Jin-roh

Perfect Blue

The Evangelion series. Even though it is extremely not artsy in the beginning, it gets much better. Especially when you're watching the last two eps. at 4 AM.
Old 14-01-2003, 09:16 PM   #20   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
Another artsy one that isn't very commonly seen:

Yokohama Shopping Log
iwakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2003, 12:47 AM   #21   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Out of the new anime I would say Haibane Renmei for sure.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2003, 01:37 AM   #22   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

I was just reading ANimenation's anime Guru, John's viewing diary and he said

After Haibane, there wasn't much I could possibly follow up with. So I watched Princess Tutu episode 7. I'm still incredulous that this is supposed to be a children's show. It really seems so mature and abstract and conceptual and beyond what I'd normally consider a kid's show. Episode 7 clearly came right out and admitted it's streak of cruelty and harsh fate, challenging Ahiru to herself challenge sadness and fear and hopelessness. Even the brief sight gags involving Neko-sensei seemed a bit too subtle for a children's show. I usually try to refrain from giving recommendations because I think fans should discover anime for themselves; however, to anyone reading this- if you're a fan of the pure art of anime: visual storytelling, thematic development, mis-en-scene, cinematic style- if you're a fan of the technical art of Japanese animation- watch this show!

Guess you should check that show out.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2003, 07:20 PM   #23   [permalink]
Dryden-san
Forum Elite

I'd also reccomend the 2nd Urusei Yatsura movie, Beautiful Dreamer. Another one from Oshii, and considering the setting, he has all the excuse he needs to be surreal. I don't think it matches the tone and rythym of the TV series very well, but then, neither did the Patlabor movies. Enjoy it for what it is. And it really is a good movie. No more than a basic knowledge of the TV series is needed to enjoy it.
Dryden-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2003, 09:55 PM   #24   [permalink]
3line

Send a message via AIM to 3line
Quote:
Originally posted by Sergeant Wittmann

The Evangelion series. Even though it is extremely not artsy in the beginning, it gets much better. Especially when you're watching the last two eps. at 4 AM.
For me, the last two episodes are what saved it from being a bottom of the barrel crap heap dweller. They are probably the only two episodes I actually enjoyed out of that inane series.
3line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 06:06 AM   #25   [permalink]
Svietnam

Quote:
Originally posted by Westlo
I was just reading ANimenation's anime Guru, John's viewing diary and he said

After Haibane, there wasn't much I could possibly follow up with. So I watched Princess Tutu episode 7. I'm still incredulous that this is supposed to be a children's show. It really seems so mature and abstract and conceptual and beyond what I'd normally consider a kid's show. Episode 7 clearly came right out and admitted it's streak of cruelty and harsh fate, challenging Ahiru to herself challenge sadness and fear and hopelessness. Even the brief sight gags involving Neko-sensei seemed a bit too subtle for a children's show. I usually try to refrain from giving recommendations because I think fans should discover anime for themselves; however, to anyone reading this- if you're a fan of the pure art of anime: visual storytelling, thematic development, mis-en-scene, cinematic style- if you're a fan of the technical art of Japanese animation- watch this show!

Guess you should check that show out.
Wow, I didn’t know some people though so highly of Princess Tutu. Princess Tutu seems to be a real sleeper hit of the season. I don’t know many people that are following it and it does not seem to have a huge run away fansub popularity base as some of the other shows this year. With the stigma of having the title of "Princess Tutu” and the look of an extremely shoujo anime it hasn't gotten much attention from average viewers. Sadly, I can personally recall many instances of people refusing to watch Princess Tutu simply because of the name.

Would anyone here consider His and Her Circumstances (Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou or Kare Kano) an “artsy” anime?
"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, then he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind." - John Stuart Mill
Svietnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:47 PM   #26   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
Quote:
Originally posted by Svietnam
Would anyone here consider His and Her Circumstances (Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou or Kare Kano) an “artsy” anime?
It's not "crap", but it's not a pure "artsy" one either. It's one of those relationship shoujo stories. Don't recall many special artistic elements. Perhaps you have some...
iwakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 05:08 PM   #27   [permalink]
z80

Angel's Egg gave me a headache. Watched it twice just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I saw it about 10 years ago and later at one of the earlier Otakons.

As far as something like it? I think it's in a class by itself, but something that struck me as close was Wings of Honneamise. Another might be A Wind Named Amnesia. Some people mentioned the Utena Movie.. This is just me, but that was one anime I truely can't stand. Wow, that was a flaming bag of poo IMHO. I can understand some liking it, but it's just not my cup of Draino.

I guess you could call Haibane "artsy", but I choose to think of it more as philosophical. I wholeheartedly recommend it in any case.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:22 PM   #28   [permalink]
Psyk0
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Psyk0
Quote:
Originally posted by iwakura
It's not "crap", but it's not a pure "artsy" one either. It's one of those relationship shoujo stories. Don't recall many special artistic elements. Perhaps you have some...
I would definitely say that Kare Kano is an "artsy" anime. One of my favorite tools was the traffic lights in one of the episodes. The story isn't particularly revolutionary, but the style was very different.
:down:America:down:
Psyk0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2003, 03:31 PM   #29   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Hey ANN reports that Robot Carnival should be released on DVD soon. YES!!! I'm doing to buy this immediately!

And I recently saw a music video Kenji's Spring (Spring and Chaos) done to Duran Duran's Come Undone. Beautiful! So I've heard its the story of a famous Japanese author's life, but with cats? Apparently the death of someone close to him impacted his work a great deal, and is reflected in the anime. I'm trying to buy this right away.

And after watching all o Haibane Renmei, I can say I think it definitely deserves to placed in the "artsy" anime category. The deeper sentiments of the show are reflected in everything from the plot, to the characters, to the background paintings. Its one of the deepest, most thought-provoking anime I've seen in a long time.

Last edited by jennwenn; 13-03-2003 at 03:34 PM.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2003, 08:35 PM   #30   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

jennwenn,

Kenji Miyazawa wrote "Night On The Galactic Railroad" which was made into a beautiful artsy anime movie starring... cats
mrgazpacho is offline   Reply With Quote