Old 14-05-2003, 04:48 PM   #61   [permalink]
NeneMaxwell195
Executive Member

One thing I didn't get the humans nuked the robot city and the robots were uneffected but wouldnt the huge EMP pulse from the nuke have fried there circuits? + Surely that many nukes would have created a nuclear winter?
NeneMaxwell195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2003, 06:46 PM   #62   [permalink]
FayeFayeV
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to FayeFayeV Send a message via AIM to FayeFayeV Send a message via MSN to FayeFayeV Send a message via Yahoo to FayeFayeV
The EMP pulse doesn't fry the circuits. It just disables them temporarily. It's like a power surge, really.
FayeFayeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2003, 06:47 PM   #63   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
A nuclear winter doesn't really deal with EMP. It's the cumulative effect of all the dust, debris, and crap that would be blasted into the atmosphere if a serious nuclear exchange occured. "Serious," meaning a full-on ICBM fireworks show involving hundreds of warheads all going off on different continents. We don't get a good overall picture of the strikes, but they appear to be localized as opposed to North America vs. Europe. To be honest, I don't know if the robots fired any nukes at us...it appeared the humans were doing that by themselves.

You are right that the EMP effects would disable some or all of the robots, but only within the area of the EMP effect. In any case, the blast radius and other physical effects of a nuke would destroy or disable the robots affected by the EMP anyway. We also don't know what targets the nukes were aimed at. If they weren't centers of robot production, and just staging grounds for an army, then obviously such an attack would only be a setback.
Old 14-05-2003, 08:57 PM   #64   [permalink]
kurtz

Hmm i'd love to know the technicalities of "destroying the sky". How permanent is that shroud of ash/crap that the humans use to block the sun? Wouldn't it eventually sink or disperse?

In the original film I figured that they had either clouded the atmosphere with crap, or destroyed the sun.

I'd be interested to see whether they explain the science of the matrix after the trilogy has been shown. i've got loads of questions.
kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2003, 01:28 AM   #65   [permalink]
DarkPrimus
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to DarkPrimus
Quote:
Originally posted by kurtz
In the original film I figured that they had either clouded the atmosphere with crap, or destroyed the sun.
A) It would be impossible for humanity to destroy the sun.

B) If the sun was destroyed, Earth would suddenly not be orbiting a star, and would be flung off who-knows-where, the climate changes killing all organic life (and possibly all machine life as well) in the process.

Dying is so damn expensive, I don't think I can afford it.

Founder and Executive Council member of the Bebop Mafia. Alias: Crimson Tears.
DarkPrimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2003, 01:42 AM   #66   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Here is a symopsis of the report that coined the term, "nuclear winter." It's a good backgrounder, especially this part:
Quote:
Several hundred million tons of this smoke and soot would be shepherded by strong west-to-east winds until they would form a uniform belt of particles encircling the Northern Hemisphere from 30 to 60 latitude. These thick black clouds could block out all but a fraction of the Sun's light for a period as long as several weeks. Surface temperatures would plunge for a few weeks as a consequence, perhaps by as much as 11 to 22 C (20 to 40 F). The conditions of semidarkness, killing frosts, and subfreezing temperatures, combined with high doses of radiation from nuclear fallout, would interrupt plant photosynthesis and could thus destroy much of the Earth's vegetation and animal life.
I don't know how the Matrix humans so permanently darken the sky, but I assume it's possible if the need was great enough.

FYI, I've attached the area of the globe encompassed by 30 and 60 in the Northern Hemisphere.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg worldmap30-60.jpg (54.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 15-05-2003, 12:17 PM   #67   [permalink]
NeneMaxwell195
Executive Member

Also don't humans need sun light as much as the robots do? As in plants need light to grow, animals feed on plants, and people feed on animals and plants?

All I can think of is that the humans made a terible miscalculation, maybe they thought that blocking out the sun for a few days would shut all the machines down then they coud walk in kill all the shut down machines then unblock the sun and that would be it finished. However someting must have hapend and the machines didn't shut down, guessing that where the whole human battrey thing came from, and the humans were beaten, and the machines donot have a way to get rid of whatever is blocking the sun out.

However I donot get why the machines nuked the UN building, they had won the humans had signed a surender (least thats what I think it was) and then the robots nuke the place.
NeneMaxwell195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2003, 01:29 PM   #68   [permalink]
Shinnentai

Quote:
Originally posted by NeneMaxwell195
Also don't humans need sun light as much as the robots do? As in plants need light to grow, animals feed on plants, and people feed on animals and plants?
Hmm, you're quite right that most flora/fauna would die out as the food chain broke down. I would imagine humans could survive on food grown in hydroponics farms relying on artificial UV etc + vitamin supplements. I doubt that enough of these farms could be constructed in time to feed all but a select population - which the peeps in charge would obviously be part of.

I seem to remember that Morpheus explains in the original Matrix that Zion is located near the earth's core to share it's heat, so I guess that the cold would be more of a problem to human survival than shortage of food (in limited populations anyway). Or perhaps this is just to shield the humans from detection?

Quote:
All I can think of is that the humans made a terible miscalculation, maybe they thought that blocking out the sun for a few days would shut all the machines down then they coud walk in kill all the shut down machines then unblock the sun and that would be it finished. However someting must have hapend and the machines didn't shut down, guessing that where the whole human battrey thing came from, and the humans were beaten, and the machines donot have a way to get rid of whatever is blocking the sun out.
Could be. After all, the human cities were falling one by one, so the leaders must have been getting pretty desperate & thinking short term. This implies that it is possible to unblock the sun, but by then the robots would'nt need to since they had the human battery solution + it was hurting the humans.

Quote:
However I donot get why the machines nuked the UN building, they had won the humans had signed a surender (least thats what I think it was) and then the robots nuke the place.
I was pretty confused by this as well. Maybe the robots were just trying to prove a point. After all, that's the same building that the robots were kicked out of years before. (the apple-like object in the robot's hands would seem to support this). Or maybe they were just destroying a potential focal point for rebel human resistance?
Shinnentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2003, 08:29 PM   #69   [permalink]
DarkPrimus
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to DarkPrimus
Actually, I think that it was the humans who detonated a nuclear device, in a final desperate act. The worlds leaders would rather die than become the machines pawns.

Dying is so damn expensive, I don't think I can afford it.

Founder and Executive Council member of the Bebop Mafia. Alias: Crimson Tears.
DarkPrimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2003, 09:38 PM   #70   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungAffen Send a message via MSN to AchtungAffen
Perhaps this doesn't have much to do, but has anyone noticed that Matrix's falling green characters are just mirrored katakanas and some square hiraganas???
AchtungAffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2003, 11:06 PM   #71   [permalink]
Morbius
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Morbius Send a message via Yahoo to Morbius
I just watched "Beyond" on MTV... It was one of the best of the short films I have seen so far... Did anyone else watch it?
Old 16-05-2003, 05:55 AM   #72   [permalink]
kurtz

Quote:
Perhaps this doesn't have much to do, but has anyone noticed that Matrix's falling green characters are just mirrored katakanas and some square hiraganas???
Yeah, I noticed that too.

About Zion though - it's "near the earth's core, where it's still warm". That seems to imply that molten rock in the mantle has cooled over a period of about 150 years. How on earth did that happen? It would take a long time for all that heat to dissapate.
kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2003, 11:53 AM   #73   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
I wonder how many holes and questions about things from the Matrix Reloaded that the AniMatrix will answer? I know we'll see the story about the Kid (that little guy that was bugging Neo in the movie), as well as the rise of the machines ("The Second Renaissance) but what else will we see? Possibly a bit more of an explanation on the "paranormal" in the Matrix and what capabilities they have? I only say that because there is apparently a story that takes place in a haunted house in the Matrix. I'm just curious if anyone else thinks that a few questions will be answered by these shorts as well as a few questions raised.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2003, 12:16 PM   #74   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Quote:
I only say that because there is apparently a story that takes place in a haunted house in the Matrix.
its called Beyond, they showed it on MTV the other day. it doesnt actually answer any questions, its just about a group of kids discovering a glitch in the matrix.

what i wanna see is Kid's Story which should answer where the anoying kid comes from, and Final Flight of the Osiris
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2003, 01:31 PM   #75   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Quote:
Originally posted by Fatal Outlaw
what i wanna see is Kid's Story which should answer where the anoying kid comes from, and Final Flight of the Osiris
An interesting sidenote that I mentioned somewhere else on these boards but "Kid's Story" was supposed to be the Watanabe short that was going to be put on the whatisthematrix.com but because of it's ending got switched with Watanabe's other short "Detective Story". Supposedly it looks like Richard Linklater's cult animated film [/i]Waking Life[/i].

As for Final "Flight of the Osiris", it's not much more than a T&A short that states the machines have found Zion which we find out in the first 10 minutes of Reloaded anyways.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote